PDA

View Full Version : Getting Past Beak-in Period

vincent1966
05-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Hello All,

This is my first post for my first Kahr, the TP45. This is my 2nd 45 (XD 45 w/thumb safety). I was read the instructions on the breaking the gun in. According to the manuel, it is considered broken in after 200 rounds. I would like to get it broken in ASAP so I can carry it.

My question is this: Is it OK to run all 200 rounds through my TP45 all at once? Not rapid shooting (range does not allow it) but spending as much time as necessary at the range to dispense all 200 rounds, clean the gun throughly and then go to Walmart for hollowpoints.

Thanks,

Vincent1966

robdnor
05-24-2011, 01:10 AM
vincent1966 i would say go for it.. if you haven't already you will want to clean it first, search for the proper prep of a new kahr sticky that jocko posted
then shoot 'em off...
sorry your range doesn't allow rapid
hope you enjoy your new kahr

Dietrich
05-24-2011, 04:53 AM
Firing all 200 rounds in one practice session should pose no problems at all.As stated above,give it a thorough cleaning and lube beforehand.The proper prep for a new Kahr and the Kahr lube stickys in the Kahr tech subforum are very valuable tools for your new TP45.Good luck.

CJB
05-24-2011, 05:25 AM
As with most guns.... you'll have to run those rounds through one at a time....<smiles>

vincent1966
05-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks for everyone's answers. Makes a person feel welcome. I've searched for Jocko's Proper Prep Sticky but I can't find it. I did find the post that recommended his pp be a sticky and even found the voting results (97% in favor of) but I cannot find the actual sticky. And because of the high voting percentage in favor of, there is no way I can go to the range until I read the post/sticky. Please help.

Thanks,

Vincent1966

Bawanna
05-24-2011, 01:05 PM
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

Here ya go. Its in the Tech section.

I ran 350 rounds thru my PM45 first range trip. Your not gonna break anything shooting it. Prep it and go for it.

Let us know how it all works out.

Barth
06-04-2011, 08:52 PM
200 rounds to break in new gun.
100 rounds self defense ammo to ensure reliability.

Fired 200 rounds of 180 grain Winchester Ranger Bonded LE HPs
on my first trip to the range and "killed two birds with one stone".

The only problem I had was a little skin came off the web of my hand.
No problem o. Just be real careful re-assembling the gun so you don't bend
the slide stop spring (like I did).

I love my MK40 Elite.

bigbob68
06-04-2011, 09:39 PM
200 rounds to break in new gun.
100 rounds self defense ammo to ensure reliability.

Fired 200 rounds of 180 grain Winchester Ranger Bonded LE HPs
on my first trip to the range and "killed two birds with one stone".

The only problem I had was a little skin came off the web of my hand.
No problem o. Just be real careful re-assembling the gun so you don't bend
the slide stop spring (like I did).

I love my MK40 Elite.

Ditto! After shooting 200 of 230grain FMJ's make sure your choice of HP self defense round feeds and shoots well. I can't run 100 rounds of SDHP but a box of 20 or 50 is reasonable.

kahrcrazy13
01-24-2012, 01:12 PM
don't break down disasemble untill you run the 200 rounds first ! kahrs come so tight from factory if u break down before breaking in your prob not going to b able to put it back together! if its new it should be lubed and oiled enough to break in they come very oiled and lubed from factory for that very reasion ! search youtube or go to kahrs website for tp 45 asambly and disasembly and you'll b fine ;)

jocko
01-24-2012, 01:21 PM
don't break down disasemble untill you run the 200 rounds first ! kahrs come so tight from factory if u break down before breaking in your prob not going to b able to put it back together! if its new it should be lubed and oiled enough to break in they come very oiled and lubed from factory for that very reasion ! search youtube or go to kahrs website for tp 45 asambly and disasembly and you'll b fine ;)

sure I can agree with that:israel: I thinkIMO ur assuming way to muych. MY PM9 and P380 when I bought them was dry asa popcorn fart.. Let alone we know for a fact that may hgave cleaned the slides with a complete take down and found crud logged in the striker channel and some have taken themout of the box and had issues, only to find out that alot of cru87d was in the strker channel. Kahrs are tight but not that tight IMO.

chrish
01-24-2012, 02:20 PM
you have definitely seen and heard it all (officially) once someone says 'dry as a popcorn fart'. i am still laughing...