PDA

View Full Version : CW9 guide rod getting chewed up

tnshooter
12-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I recently purchased a CW9, and after only 200 rounds the guide rod is getting all chewed up. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and what would you suggest I do about it. Thanks for your help.

500KV
12-11-2009, 01:52 PM
That doesn't look good at all tns.
I'd send that pic. to the Kahr people, and I'm sure they will want you to send the gun in.
BTW, Make sure the recoil spring is installed correctly.
Good luck.

jocko
12-11-2009, 01:57 PM
photo doesn't show up hardly at all to make any judgement. If the gun is working perfect, then just don't worry about it. Recoil springs are hard on recoil rods but your wear IMO is normal for kahrs. The barrel is canting upon recoil but the slide isnot kand there fore the rod and springs are put in a sorta of a bind situation and you will encounter some wear in that area. I doubt if kahr will tell you any different either. I have read manty many posts from kahr owners where the recoil rod looks ruff,chewed, worn inthat area but none have ever siad it is effecting reliability. Polish that rod spray it with Remingotn dry lube, not running dripping oil and just shoot it like you stole it.

kahr also offers on their webb site stainless steel guide rods for the CW9 for $26.95. that should please you to no end if you want to spend the money. they are super but you can buy the regualr guide rod for about 4 bucks...

Arkansasboy
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Mine looks the exact same way, still shoots fine. but i will buy the stainless rod soon.

cobraetti
12-11-2009, 05:13 PM
what he said^^^^^

tnshooter
12-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Sorry about the bad picture...took it with my cell phone. Anyway, I've been thinking about getting a ss guide rod from Kahr, and will probably do that before I think about sending the gun in for repair. I always make sure that everything is in it's proper position before going to shoot, so it doesn't have anything to do with the recoil spring not being aligned properly. I'm going to get the ss guide rod and shouldn't have any issues with that anymore, but will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info, you guys and gals are great!!

jocko
12-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Sorry about the bad picture...took it with my cell phone. Anyway, I've been thinking about getting a ss guide rod from Kahr, and will probably do that before I think about sending the gun in for repair. I always make sure that everything is in it's proper position before going to shoot, so it doesn't have anything to do with the recoil spring not being aligned properly. I'm going to get the ss guide rod and shouldn't have any issues with that anymore, but will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info, you guys and gals are great!!

guide rod wear is seen on alot of guns, and they never give issues. sending it back would get u no where for IMO what you are seeing is normal wear and it wold probably get no worse than it is now. If in doubt spend the money and get the stainless rod..

97trakin
12-17-2009, 07:42 PM
NO worries. Mine looked the same way after a few hundred rounds. You can polish it, get the SS rod, or live with it.