PDA

View Full Version : Reloading...I think I can do that

melissa5
05-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Yesterday, I watched a guy at my local LGS reloading .45s with a Dillion progressive press. He explained the steps and it sounded/looked easy enough. But, I'm wondering how much I can really expect to save on 50 rounds? He told me that the setup he was using cost around $2,500. :eek: For those of you who reload for .45, how much does it cost you for 50 rounds?

MW surveyor
05-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Melissa,

From reading your posts, you can definitely reload. All you need to do is follow directions and take your time. Also, you will save money per round/box or however you want to figure it. Presently it costs me about 12 to 13 cents per round depending on the loading. I'm reloading for 9 mm, 38 spl, 357 and 45 ACP, so a box of 50 ranges from $6.00 to $6.50 (357 AND 45). Not much savings for the 9mm but hey, everything counts. Most of the savings come from the 38, 357 and the 45. You however may not save any money as you will probably shoot more. LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!

Ok, next step is to get a few reloading manuals and read them. I have a Lyman for pistols and also the Lee manual. Look at the videos on youtube and ask questions here.

When I first started reloading a year ago. The sales person at my local reloading store tried to talk me into the most expensive press that they had in the store. Progressive type with a bunch of bells and whistles. I'm kinda cheap and decided to go with a Lee single stage kit. Learned a lot using that kit and am using the single stage this morning for de-priming, sizing and re-priming about 500 rounds of 45 ACP that I'll reload later today. It will not be on the single stage though.

I've graduated to the Lee classic turret press with the auto drop powder measure. I can crank out nearly 200 rounds per hour with this press while with the single stage 50 to 60 per hour was pushing it. One real good thing about the Lee, you can use it as a single stage press by not installing the rod. That way you can learn easier and have the benefit of having a turret press.

Wow, this is getting too long. I'm sure that there will be others along shortly. But remember -

YES YOU CAN RELOAD!

Bawanna
05-28-2011, 09:37 AM
What he said. I'd look at Hornady manuals also. There's alot of good stuff in them too.

I agree that it's best to start slow with a single or maybe best a turret press as MW said. That way you see whats happening at each stage.

Reloading takes time and patience and attention to detail. Components fluctuate in price just like loaded ammo. Primers suddenly dissappear, powder will go up in price or become hard to find.

If you find a recipe that works you can stock up on stuff when things are good and you don't have to worry about it.

Lot's of smart reloaders around here to help ya if you jump in. With you new found 1911 kick and obvious obsession for guns it might be your time.

TucsonMTB
05-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Hey Melissa!

Everything Bawanna and MW Surveyor said is spot on, especially the advice about buying components. When I priced the equipment and components a couple of years ago, the cost savings was minimal, so I passed.

However, most of the guys who reload around here do it either for greater accuracy compared to commercial ammo, or because they want special low power loads for competition shooting or their recoil sensitive spouses. Eventually, the cost helps justify the initial investment and the time spent.

Even the best of these guys will admit to having at least one squib round and sometimes a minor catastrophe as the result of not noticing the squib (usually no more than a ruined barrel). My wife shoots. If I loaded a squib and she had a problem, I could never forgive myself.

The final justification from the most active "reloader" I know, is that it is therapy. Rick sometimes shows up at the range with several hundred rounds he has to shoot, just so he can reload them again. Good emotional/mental therapy is expensive if you need professional help, so reloading may be a better answer.

Just my two cents . . . as always YMMV

earle8888
05-28-2011, 10:16 AM
yep to all the above! I am finding it hard to find jacked 230FMJ, 45ACP for less tha 19 cents a piece in 500 or less round purchase, thus not really great savings over factory on sale boxes. It is a great HOBBY, yes hobby for shooters. I have had and used reloading for many years and have a supply of primers and powders, so its the bullet cost for me. I don't mold anymore.

OldLincoln
05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I just checked and can get 230gn copper plated 45 for 13 cents including tax from my local reloading store. That's up 2 cents compared to 2 months ago. Even with that, powder is 5 cents and primer 4 cents so I get a box of 50 45 ACP for $11. I've been told that those who recast lead can push the cost down to $8 box. However I'm not getting in that deep.

Didn't price it today but 115gn RN Copper plated 9mm + powder & primer should be around $8 per 50.

So you do save over retail cost for what you shoot, but you have to decide if you want to do it. I started out only to save money (it was cheaper then) and got hooked. I loaded 300rds of 9mm last night on Bawanna's Rock Chucker. For me it's about the only hobby I can do where I save money. Well, I guess there's yard work but I don't like that 4 letter word "work".

melissa5
05-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Melissa,

From reading your posts, you can definitely reload. All you need to do is follow directions and take your time. Also, you will save money per round/box or however you want to figure it. Presently it costs me about 12 to 13 cents per round depending on the loading. I'm reloading for 9 mm, 38 spl, 357 and 45 ACP, so a box of 50 ranges from $6.00 to $6.50 (357 AND 45). Not much savings for the 9mm but hey, everything counts. Most of the savings come from the 38, 357 and the 45. You however may not save any money as you will probably shoot more. LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!

Ok, next step is to get a few reloading manuals and read them. I have a Lyman for pistols and also the Lee manual. Look at the videos on youtube and ask questions here.

When I first started reloading a year ago. The sales person at my local reloading store tried to talk me into the most expensive press that they had in the store. Progressive type with a bunch of bells and whistles. I'm kinda cheap and decided to go with a Lee single stage kit. Learned a lot using that kit and am using the single stage this morning for de-priming, sizing and re-priming about 500 rounds of 45 ACP that I'll reload later today. It will not be on the single stage though.

I've graduated to the Lee classic turret press with the auto drop powder measure. I can crank out nearly 200 rounds per hour with this press while with the single stage 50 to 60 per hour was pushing it. One real good thing about the Lee, you can use it as a single stage press by not installing the rod. That way you can learn easier and have the benefit of having a turret press.

Wow, this is getting too long. I'm sure that there will be others along shortly. But remember -

YES YOU CAN RELOAD!

You are correct, Sir! I would only shoot more!

melissa5
05-28-2011, 02:33 PM
I just checked and can get 239gn copper plated 45 for 13 cents including tax from my local reloading store. That's up 2 cents compared to 2 months ago. Even with that, powder is 5 cents and primer 4 cents so I get a box of 50 45 ACP for $11.

That's still a lot better than $17.99 for a box of 50 Atlanta Arms reloads.

MW surveyor
05-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Did a new work up for my 45 ACP loads using HP38 instead of Bullseye as HP38 is about $2.00 more per pound here. So:

powder @ 5.3 grains= 0.024
primers = 0.03
bullets (LRN) = 0.08
cost per round =0.134
per box of 50 =6.711 tax is already in the costs of the powder, primers and bullets.
I use range pickups so no cost in brass.

So you can reload the 45 at about 1/3 the cost of even reloaded factory ammo!
The cost of the new dies was paid off in 190 rounds.

There's nothing wrong with shooting lead as the 45 was originally designed to shoot lead bullets! Also, most loading of even FMJs are below 900 fps!

PS- only reloaded 200 rounds today, too darn hot in the shed to load more!

Dietrich
05-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Hi Melissa,below you will find my latest cost layout for .45 cal. reloading components including the price for once fired brass.After I started reloading,I pretty much stopped buying any factory ammo except for SD rounds because I liked reloading so much.The one thing that will help you more than anything else though is a good mentor.If you decide to get into reloading I cannot tell you how valuable an asset they are.When I started,my next door neighbor,who had been reloading for years,took me under his wing and the help he provided was priceless.He was able to answer any question I had about the process [even the really dumb ones] and watched over me step by step in all aspects of setting the machine up and getting started.Reloading is a wonderful way to increase your enjoyment in the shooting sports but if you aren`t careful it can jump up and bite you in the behind.When you start the process,have no distractions around you.If something does draw your attention away from what you`re doing,even for an instant,stop and check where you are in the process before resuming.All of this is the best advice I can think of.

230 gr.FMJ $.12
primer .03
powder .01
brass .08
Total $.24

Once you get by the price of the brass your cost in reloading drops dramatically.The prices listed above were rounded off to the nearest penny.Like all other endeavors,shopping around for the best price helps.Even including the price of the brass the cost of a box of 50 rounds of .45 is $12.00.I don`t think Wallyworld can touch it.

melissa5
05-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the encouragement and really good info, everyone! As much as I like to shoot, this would either save me some money or let me shoot more. I believe I will start reading and watching videos as one of you suggested. Then, I'll come back with questions.

jimbar
05-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and really good info, everyone! As much as I like to shoot, this would either save me some money or let me shoot more. I believe I will start reading and watching videos as one of you suggested. Then, I'll come back with questions.

Hey, Melissa, I'd be interested to know if you take the plunge, and get into re-loading. I've been thinking about it for a few months now, and still haven't done it. Having said that, I just bought a Ruger Vaquero, and those long colt's are not cheap. I found cowboy loads for $18.99 for a box of 20. If I buy bulk of 300 rds at Cabela's, I can get the cost down to about $.56 per rd.
I researched and added the cost of several loaders, and equip from Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, and found I can get all, (except powder, primers,etc) for about $600,........I will probably do it later this year, looks it would be fun to do, and cost effective,...
Oh, look on Youtube, there's a lot of videos showing the process using different types of equip,....good luck.

MW surveyor
06-01-2011, 05:13 AM
I researched and added the cost of several loaders, and equip from Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, and found I can get all, (except powder, primers,etc) for about $600,........I will probably do it later this year, looks it would be fun to do, and cost effective,...

jimbar

I have all Lee equipment and have not spent that much for equipment. All told, I've less than $450 into my reloading equipment. That's including the first kit then adding the turret press. As I suggested to Melissa, if I would have know at the start, I'd have bought the Lee turret first and hand picked what I now know are the essentials. :confused: But hey, what did I know then? Next to nothing even with all of the research that I did before I made my first purchase.

I really like my Lee turret with the Pro Auto disk. Sure makes it much easier and faster to make quality rounds.

Make sure that you save those empty cases! Sure cuts down on the reloading costs if you don't have to buy them. Return on your initial cost for equipment by reloading that cartridge is gonna be quick if you like to shoot a lot.

MW

garyb
06-01-2011, 08:48 AM
I had wanted to reload since I was a little guy. I am new to it but found that it was not difficult to learn by reading, watching a few videos and watching someone you know who is reloading. In addition to saving money and being able to shoot more, reloading is simply fun. It is a good quiet hobby. Your mind goes into the reloading process and escapes the day to day grind of work, kids, bills, etc.... It is kind of a meditative process that seems to be healing in a way. Reloading allows you to 'tinker' with loads but of course within reason. The manuals are very specific on the loads that can be used. There are a great deal of options when considerning all the brands of powders, primers, bullet types and weights, etc... It is not that complicated once you get rolling. It takes a little time, money and effort to get everything set up, but just take it slow and realize it is a process to get started. I suggest you call the manufacturer of the reloading equipment you plan to use and pick their brains. I contacted Hornady as I was getting set up and they were very, very helpful with selecting the dies and stations on the reloader. I jumped right into a Hornady LNL auto progressive because it is fast, offers tremendous versatility and easy conversion to other calibers. The price is right on this tool too. I already love the benefits of this reloader and find the powder cop to be a nice feature to verify my powder charges are accurate every time. Even when taking my time by intermittently checking the powder drop with a scale, I can pump out 100 rounds of 40S&W in about 15 minutes or less. It is easy to accurately and precisely reload 400-500 rounds an hour on this press. Give reloading a try and you won't regret it. Other than personal defense ammo, I don't see myself purchasing much ammo in the future. Saving and cleaning up the spent brass is a big money saver. Simply put...Reloading is Fun and Easy!

Bawanna
06-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I've always felt that it didn't pay to buy brass unless it's some hard to find caliber. 45 Colt comes to mind around here. Expensive and hard to find. All others I think it's most cost effective to buy factory, save the brass and start from there. Along with picking up any decent range brass you can find.

Lots of shooters dont reload and most are more than willing to give you their brass.

It does produce a warm fuzzy feeling to have a decent size bucket of bright shiney brass though, wonderful thing.

MW surveyor
06-01-2011, 12:57 PM
The only brass I've bought since I started reloading are the factory 9 mm and 45 ACPs that I used to "break in" the new guns. No more than 150 rounds of each. Every time I go to the range, I leave with more empties than I made.

One thing is that my range also sells once fired or pick ups at 5 cents a piece. However, if you sort through the empties, they are freeeeeeeeee!

Long Colts have been in short supply though as far as my looking through the fired cases! Please don't get me started in looking for those as that's what happened with the 45 ACP (RO gave me a bag of about 250 empties, in four days had the new gun!)

Bawanna
06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
[/QUOTE]Please don't get me started in looking for those as that's what happened with the 45 ACP (RO gave me a bag of about 250 empties, in four days had the new gun!)[/QUOTE]

And you make it sound like thats a bad thing. You love your new gun don't ya?

Now find some of that 45 Colt brass, Jimbar and I need some and if you happen to find yourself with a new 45 Colt we'll manage somehow.

MW surveyor
06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I like the new gun (said in a contrite manner with head hanging down) ;)

I'll be on the look out for the empty 45 LCs for ya'll. If I find some I'll put them aside until I get enough to send to one or both of you. But I'll tell you right now, I've only seen a few in the buckets.

Bawanna
06-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I like the new gun (said in a contrite manner with head hanging down) ;)

I'll be on the look out for the empty 45 LCs for ya'll. If I find some I'll put them aside until I get enough to send to one or both of you. But I'll tell you right now, I've only seen a few in the buckets.

Ok and since it's only fair me and Jimbar will keep our eyes out for a nice 45 Colt for you to hang your head and like too. Maybe a birdshead handle vaquero or an Uberti cattleman.
No worries we'll put our heads together and find something for you to like.

Said with a cat swollowd the tweety bird grin on his face and a little drool coming out the corner of his mouth which you can't see on account of his manly mans mustache.

MW surveyor
06-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Ok and since it's only fair me and Jimbar will keep our eyes out for a nice 45 Colt for you to hang your head and like too. Maybe a birdshead handle vaquero or an Uberti cattleman.
No worries we'll put our heads together and find something for you to like.

Gee thanks a bunch! The CW9 and the squirrel killer (Ruger Single Six with red dot and Hogue molded grips) made me take them to the range last Friday. The Para 45 and the S&W 422 are comp'in at the bitt to go out Friday. The Walther and the Ruger and the Marlin are extremely p'od that they haven't been out for a while.

I kinda like those birdshead handled six shooters. Almost bought one of those a while back. GET BEHIND THEE SATAN!

Bawanna
06-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Ok Jimbar, he's following the bait. Keep eyes peeled for birdshead handles. Get ready to set the hook. I think we almost got him.

I love birdshead handles, I have a vaquero and an Uberti. The Uberti actually feels more like a real colt. Lighter and it's color case hardened. No transfer bar so you leave it on an empty hole.

Sadly our indoor ranges banned exposed lead bullets and I had like 2000 for the 45 Colt. Now I gotta find some jacketed stuff for it. They have been neglected lately too.

dannyeller
06-01-2011, 05:44 PM
I have a Dillon 550 that I bought back in 1991. It is a semi-progressive but it also loads all rifle calibers besides pistol.

Using my own brass it cost me a little less than $10 a box of fifty. I used to load em just ten times each but now I load them until they crack, bulge (excessively), show signs of primer leak or are crushed somewhere in the reloading process.

I can load about 200 rounds in about an hour if I have everything already set up. That is at a good steady pace and not rushing.

But be warned. Don't have a TV on or any distractions. The 45 has a lot of room in that case and a double load is a possibility when you have a hick-up while loading. A squib is just as bad with only a primer. It will push your bullet only part way down the barrel and if you're not careful you could clear the brass with a follow-up live one in the chamber with a barrel obstruction. Those that I've seen though the bullet doesn't go that far and prevents the follow on round from fully chambering.

The biggest advise is that if you get into it is to pay attention. Other than minor mistakes that can cause bad issues it is pretty easy. Use your barrel as a chamber check for the rounds. After you have loaded them take your disassemble .45 barrel and drop each round in a clean chamber to make sure they all freely drop completely in and easily come out.

I did it so I could just afford to shoot more but it ended up being a whole new hobby. Searching for that clean burning, super accurate, 100% reliable load that will still knock down steel is a never ending journey.

94zcar
06-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I load a lot of 9mm on a lee classic turret, I think it's one of the best, it fits a nice spot between a single stage and a progressive. And it's not very expensive but is a nice quality press. I started out reloading to save money but it is also an enjoyable hobby to make your own custom ammunition.
If you decide to buy a lee press check out Lee Factory sales they have the best prices on the net. They are selling the Classic Turret for $84.50....scroll down a bit once you get to the web page. I spent several hours on their site checking out all their equipment when I got started.
http://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/classic.html

ultratec1
06-08-2011, 08:03 PM
This is coming from a newbie here, I started reloading 4 months ago. At first I thought that is was a complicated process and took alot of knowledge when it came to powder types, bullet weights, the moons affect on gravity and the way the earth rolls on its axis. Its not that hard.

I started with a lee anniversary turret with auto powder dispenser. The problem I had with that was the auto disk was throwing inaccurate loads compared to what the Lee manual was claiming. I solved this problem with buying a RCBS chargemaster ( Nice piece of machinery). For my load ( .45acp unique powder and a 230gr CMJ) the starting recommended load was 5.9gr and the max was 6.6gr. I loaded 15-6.1, 15-6.2 and 15-6.3. Took them to the range and bagged the gun and shot each load at 15yrds. I determined that the 6.2 shot the best grouping out of the others and reloaded 150rds before work today.

Coming from a newbie at this game I will tell you that it is easy, fun and cost effective. Oh and by the way if you were not a hoarder before reloading you will be after. Every 9mm, 38, 357 or 45 acp I find goes home with me. This is no BS I have over 12,000 rds of once fired 9mm!!!! LOL.

jimbar
06-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm still mucho interested in re-loading, but with the purchase of the Vaquero, then had to get new tires for the car, lastly,(been putting off for months),had to go ahead and get those new glasses. Be nice to actually see things downrange again. Add all that up, and re-load equip will have to wait a little while,.....however, I'll still be looking for brass when I go shootin' so I'll be ready.

melissa5
06-12-2011, 07:39 AM
I looked at some powders and cases at the gun show yesterday, but didn't buy anything since I haven't priced theses anywhere else.