PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr PM9 owner

runner3264
12-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Hello Kahr people! Tomorrow I am picking up my new Kahr PM9. I mostly own all Glocks and of course a huge fan. I'm getting this Kahr because I plan on it being my daily carry.
I've read about the initial cleaning and lube as stated in the online manual. I also heard about racking the slide 500 times before I shoot it. Is this something I should definately do and what else you think needs to be done before I fire it for the first time. All info is greatly appreciated!!

Dietrich
12-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Cleaning and lubing are things that I do out of habit with all of my new firearm purchases.It gets rid of unwanted particulate matter and also gives me a chance to closely inspect the gun.As far as racking the slide 500 times,I`ve read that it helps in your break in quite a bit.When I bought my PM9 this forum didn`t exist,so I just did the 200 round firing for my break in excercise.Not nary a hiccup with any brand or type of ammunition.Always make sure that you chamber your first round by using the slide release.It is very easy to "ride the slide" with a Kahr if you try to chamber the first round by hand.Other than that,just go shoot it and let us know how things went.Most of the time,PM9s are great right out of the box. :D

jocko
12-12-2009, 11:05 AM
some never do anything but take them out of the box and shoot um. The racking thing is just something one can do to help the gun along, cleaning and lubing is also a very useful thing to do. Why not start out knowing full and well that you have throughly cleaned and lubed the gun if anything for peace of mind.

runner3264
12-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Well, I picked up my new Kahr PM9 today. Model#PM9094N. Diamond Black slide with night sights. What a nicely made pistol. Workmanship looks top notch. I cleaned it up and lubed and racked it 500 times. I should be out tomorrow to shoot it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the advise!

runner3264
12-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Can anyone tell me how often the slide should be taken apart and cleaned? I have torn down Glocks often and do it quite regularly. I have to get use to taking the Kahr apart. If I don't take it apart do you recommend spraying it down with a cleaner or go X number of times and then strip it down?

500KV
12-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Can anyone tell me how often the slide should be taken apart and cleaned? I have torn down Glocks often and do it quite regularly. I have to get use to taking the Kahr apart. If I don't take it apart do you recommend spraying it down with a cleaner or go X number of times and then strip it down?

Here you go runner.

Detail Stripping the Kahr's Upper - Page 3 - Glock Talk (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308824&page=3)

OOps.. Sorry; thought you were asking how to strip the slide..Need to read a little closer don't I?

jocko
12-12-2009, 04:30 PM

tell you that I have never taken my sldie down completely, other than to pop that back plate off to install the 5# striker spring. AND I HAVE 25,000+ rounds out of my PM9. If u use that little clean out hole in the bottom of the slide, you should IMO never have to take that slide completely apart. If you put that spray nozzle in that clean out hole fluids and what ever else willcomeouot of both ends and YOU have throughly cleaned that striker channel.

Do not oil the striker channel, everything in there is stainless and any oil willjust invite crud build up quicer than being dry. It isjust so easy to loose that striker block spring that it isn't silly even. It is so small that if you drop it, IT IS GONE.

refer to the old tried and true saying IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT..:7:

Dogman
12-13-2009, 03:25 AM

I've had my PM9 since late 95 and shot about 1700 rounds, and I've only taken the slide apart once to clean it and then it was mainly to see how to take the slide apart. Also JMO, but I think racking the slide does help the break in. Like you I have several Glocks but I find myself carrying the PM9 more than anything.
Welcome to the Kahr family.

G-9
12-13-2009, 06:50 AM
I have yet to take my slide apart in either my PM9 or PM40. I do use my air compressor to gently blow out my weapons as a regular cleaning procedure. As for racking the slide 500 times, I did do this on my PM9, only because it was really stiff out of the box. Good luck with your Kahr, You will love it.

mx5fan
12-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Hello Runnder and welcome to the world of PM9' and this forum, of course.

As others have said, I clean my pistols when new just as a matter of course. In addition to cleaning it, I also want to become familiar with any new pistol and this is a very good way of doing just that, so yes, clean away. After you take it down once for cleaning, it's a snap to do it every time thereafter.

In the winter time I carry a S&W M&P 9c, very similar to the Glock 26 (slightly thinner and slightly longer) then the G26. I purchased the PM9, primarily for summer carry, but after 240 perfect rounds through this pistol, I'm sure I'm going to be carrying the PM9 more and more often.

Finally, I too racked the slide hundreds of times before going to the range the first time, just to help break in the pistol and since I have had not failures of any kind, I'm thinking that may have helped.

Enjoy and be safe.

jocko
12-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Hello Runnder and welcome to the world of PM9' and this forum, of course.

As others have said, I clean my pistols when new just as a matter of course. In addition to cleaning it, I also want to become familiar with any new pistol and this is a very good way of doing just that, so yes, clean away. After you take it down once for cleaning, it's a snap to do it every time thereafter.

In the winter time I carry a S&W M&P 9c, very similar to the Glock 26 (slightly thinner and slightly longer) then the G26. I purchased the PM9, primarily for summer carry, but after 240 perfect rounds through this pistol, I'm sure I'm going to be carrying the PM9 more and more often.

Finally, I too racked the slide hundreds of times before going to the range the first time, just to help break in the pistol and since I have had not failures of any kind, I'm thinking that may have helped.

Enjoy and be safe.

racking the slide 3 to 500 times before shooting it is like spraying yourself with insect repellant. If u don't get bit with it on, you really don't know if it worked or not for maybe there was no insects around, but also U DO NOT CARE EITHER.

Point, set, MATCH.:typing:

runner3264
12-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advise everyone has given! Due to everyones advise I shot 100 rounds through the gun without any failures. NO FTF or FTE at all! It performed flawlessly! I am also impressed with it's accuracy. I thought I would make mistakes shooting the DOA for the first time in many years but I guess all the previous practices with several other guns has paid off. Patience, Patience, Patience.

When I got back I immediately had to clean her. I probably could have just cleaned the barrel and recoil spring but I went all out. I didn't take apart the slide but I did wash it down and then blew it out. Is this okay or am I doing more than I should??
I plan on putting some more through her later this week. I have some DT 124gr +P's and 147gr +P's coming in. The 124's are what I plan for defense carry.

jocko
12-13-2009, 01:12 PM
can one ever over clean a gun, I think not...