PDA

View Full Version : Kahr PM9 compared to Kel-Tec PF9

dollarguy
12-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Over Thanksgiving week, I had the opportunity to compare my PM9 to the PF9 at a shooting range with my brother-in-law.

I have always been happy with my PM9 as it is much easier to conceal/carry compared to my larger XDM9. I find the recoil/flip of the PM9 very low and almost equal to the larger and heavier XDM9.

I was eager to compare my PM9 to the Kel-Tec until the first round nearly ripped the PF9 out of my grip. The recoil/flip was almost painful. The fourth or fifth round failed to load, jamming so tight that I was afraid to apply the force that my brother-in-law had to use to clear the round.

On the first round fired from the PM9 by my brother-in-law, he stated he was buying one for himself. We looked up the specifications and found Kel-Tec more than a little loose in their claims of small size and low weight.

Length Height Slide Width Weight Barrel
PM9 5.3” 4.0” .90” 14 Oz 3.0”
Pf9 5.85 4.3” .88” 12 Oz 3.1”

About the only valid claim the PF9 has is a cheap price for cheap performance.

Dietrich
12-13-2009, 07:26 AM
One of my best friends ignored my suggestion and bought a KelTec.We went to the range together and by the time he had fired 100 rounds it had worn a blister on the web of his hand between his thumb and index finger.I said nothing but I could see the disappointment in his eyes.I could also hear the profanity coming out of his mouth.There just is no contest when you compare a Kahr and a KelTec. The Kahr is head and shoulders a better handgun. :D

mx5fan
12-13-2009, 09:03 AM
I had a PF9 and hated it. It jammed constently and when it did shoot it was indeed painful. I traded it in for a Bersa .380 CC and while it was a better pistol (in my opinion) then the Kel-tec it too would stovepipe or fail to feed if there was the slightest movement in my wrist. I figured what good was that if I had to use it for defensive purposes? I sold it and now have a PM9 and just love it. The quality and the feel of this pistol is much better then either of the aforementioned pistols and after shooting another 120 rounds through it, yesterday I feel confident in carrying this little pistol for defensive purposes.

So far I've shot 240 rounds and not one failure or jam...It's a keeper and if one feels confident in a carry gun, then it is worth the price.

The saying goes "you get what you pay for" and I think that's true of the PM9.

Longitude Zero
12-13-2009, 10:08 AM
The Kahr is several orders of magnitude better than the Kel Tec.

jocko
12-13-2009, 11:49 AM
The Kahr is several orers of magnitude better than the Kel Tec.

two different made , different quality, different price guns. Probalby should not even try to compare a kahr to a kel tec IMO..:ohmy:

I "USED" to own 3 kel tecs. enough said.

Arizona T
12-13-2009, 01:03 PM
What????????????

TopDog
12-13-2009, 03:00 PM
two different made , different quality, different price guns. Probalby should not even try to compare a kahr to a kel tec IMO..

I agree. The quality of the two should not be compared directly. The Kahr is a higher quality gun and was designed to be so. The Kel-Tec is an economy designed gun. Its not a fair compassion. The Kel-Tec while no Kahr for what it is at its price point it a good buy.

I own a Kahr PM45 and a Kel-Tec PF9 and the recoil with standard target ammo of the PM45 is less that the 9mm Kel-Tec. However I never experienced the drastic recoil some report from the PF9, not with standard ammo.

jocko
12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
kt's today are far better than they were 2 years ago. They still call them a gun that one should shoot seldom and carry often over on the kt forum. Just never made any sense to me. My 24/7 carry is my PM9 and if I can't shoot it like I stole it then I don't want it. But for the money if u want a drawer gun or a glove box gun that is not going to be shot much, for the money the kt is in a class of it's own.

medezyner
12-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Been very happy with my kel-tec P3AT, it’s eaten everything I’ve fed it over the past 2 years. BUT am I 100% comfortable with staking my life on that or a PF9, no way. That’s why I’m waiting for my PM9, it’s definitely in a different league.

Vinikahr
12-29-2009, 03:32 PM
I have a PF9 but I won't swear by it. First trip to range the magazine follower broke and the slide did not hold open when the last round ejected, Kel-Tec sent me a new one and that corrected the issue. The gun is not meant for extensive shooting or use +p loads, so if you shoot a bit with it will be fine for the first 50 rounds and after that the gun is too dirty and won't shoot reliable. I carry the CW9 because it very reliable in comparison to the PF9( I will sell it sometime in the future). Some individuals or groups for that matter, swear by it ( if you go to www.ktog.org (http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=newpistol) you will see what I am talking about). Anyhow the gun is good for those that cannot afford anything else. However, you have to admit that this gun sell very quick and sometimes at a premium (which that does not make any sense). I am looking forward for a PM9 as soon as the price come down a bit.:D

Wayne's World
12-30-2009, 05:24 AM
"Vinikahr" / Don't wait too long thinking the price will go down on the PM9. Five months ago, I paid $799.00. Went to the shop (range) I bought it at yesterday and it had gone up to $845.00.

Vinikahr
12-30-2009, 06:52 AM
"Vinikahr" / Don't wait too long thinking the price will go down on the PM9. Five months ago, I paid $799.00. Went to the shop (range) I bought it at yesterday and it had gone up to $845.00.

I beg to differ sir, I miss two auctions at broker.com (because I bought a Jericho 941 compact for $470.00 OTD and I was out of funds), where they had the PM9 for $569(plus shipping of $25) total $594 OTD but you had to come with the cash. Also Budgunshop, had them for $623 out the door with the advantage that you can put in a layaway plan. Impact Guns has them, but they are close the price you indicate at $683.99 OTD plus FFL, I am looking for the PM9 with the Black DLC finish at reasonable price of $650 +/-(I seen them) As soon they come again, I will definitely buy one for around that price. Patient does pay.

Wayne's World
12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
WOW, go for it. They are nowhere near that price, in the Detroit area.

Vinikahr
01-07-2010, 01:25 PM
WOW, go for it. They are nowhere near that price, in the Detroit area.

Just did, got one for $541 (factory new) out the door. How do I did that you may ask? Well, the place offered discount for LE( I was one for a while). So, like I indicated patient does pay. :eek::p:D:):biggrin1::86::roll:

jocko
01-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Just did, got one for $541 (factory new) out the door. How do I did that you may ask? Well, the place offered discount for LE( I was one for a while). So, like I indicated patient does pay. :eek::p:D:):biggrin1::86::roll:

hell of a super price. This is a gun you can shoot until the cows come home:84:

Ninjataint
01-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I beg to differ sir, I miss two auctions at broker.com (because I bought a Jericho 941 compact for $470.00 OTD and I was out of funds), where they had the PM9 for $569(plus shipping of $25) total $594 OTD but you had to come with the cash. Also Budgunshop, had them for $623 out the door with the advantage that you can put in a layaway plan. Impact Guns has them, but they are close the price you indicate at $683.99 OTD plus FFL, I am looking for the PM9 with the Black DLC finish at reasonable price of $650 +/-(I seen them) As soon they come again, I will definitely buy one for around that price. Patient does pay.

I picked up my PM9 Black DLC finish w/night sights for 500ish slightly used. I would check the smaller stores where people tend to do a lot more swapping of guns at. Slightly used was nice because the break in period was over but there was not enough use to cause any sort of mechanical wear.

edit: Didn't read you next post...Awesome deal and congrats

TxKahr
01-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I picked my PM9 up for $599 at my LGS. He had it on a gunbroker.com auction with that as the starting price, plus $60 to ship. It was $699 in the store, so I asked if he would sell it to me for the auction price (without the shippng) and he said "sure". I guess he would rather sell it than wait for the auction to end and still have it sitting in his store.

TxKahr

Vinikahr
01-14-2010, 07:23 PM
I picked up my PM9 Black DLC finish w/night sights for 500ish slightly used. I would check the smaller stores where people tend to do a lot more swapping of guns at. Slightly used was nice because the break in period was over but there was not enough use to cause any sort of mechanical wear.

The only reason I do not buy an used Kahr pistol is that the warranty does not transfer to the new owner. Paying over $500 for firearm and have no warranty does not appeal to me. So if there is an issue with the weapon, then the savings for buying used will not apply and the cost will skyrocket. Something to consider when buying a used gun.

Vinikahr
01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
I picked my PM9 up for $599 at my LGS. He had it on a gunbroker.com auction with that as the starting price, plus $60 to ship. It was $699 in the store, so I asked if he would sell it to me for the auction price (without the shippng) and he said "sure". I guess he would rather sell it than wait for the auction to end and still have it sitting in his store.

TxKahr

Good deal. I consider all the cost involved in the firearm including shipping, tax, transfer fee, etc.. $60 for shipping is kind of high. The dealer can send that weapon to another FFL for $15 dollars insured via USPS priority mail and $25 dollars via UPS second day service insured. So, as high and willing to go for shipping will be $25.

scrapperid
01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
I have my pistols for self defense. I also enjoy plinking, (gettin better at making sure I kill the bad guy) But it is kind of important it go bang each time. Kel-tec and Bersa-good guns for the money? sure if you never carry or defend yourself with it. Reliability in this arena?
Priceless!

Wayne's World
01-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Man am I glad for you guys that get these great prices. In the Detroit area, gun shops can NOT keep up with the demand. And thus...charge accordingly. The CCW classes are booked at least two weeks in advance and all are full. Gun shops are making a killing right now and are always (any time of day) full of customers. The only thing that scares me is when I see this punk walk out with an mini-pistol AR15 (223), strapped around his neck, under his coat. "F-this and F-that". My wife was with me and it took all I had to keep my mouth shut. The guy behind the counter toned him down once he saw it was about to become an problem. I know he has a clean record NOW.... but for how long?

rjmcw9
01-16-2010, 06:45 AM
I have both, and I actually like to shoot the PF9. I must have gotten a good one as I hear many complaints all over the forums and at KTOG. Recoil can be very personal, what bothers me may make someone else smile. It is very accurate for me, but it does give me pause about its expected longevity. After buying my CW9, one of my first questions here was can I shoot the heck out of it. I got sort of a mixed reaction. I like to practice and usually go every other week. I am carrying the CW9 more though just because of all the reading I do concerning the Kel Tec.:cool:

Vinikahr
01-16-2010, 01:14 PM
I have both, and I actually like to shoot the PF9. I must have gotten a good one as I hear many complaints all over the forums and at KTOG. Recoil can be very personal, what bothers me may make someone else smile. It is very accurate for me, but it does give me pause about its expected longevity. After buying my CW9, one of my first questions here was can I shoot the heck out of it. I got sort of a mixed reaction. I like to practice and usually go every other week. I am carrying the CW9 more though just because of all the reading I do concerning the Kel Tec.:cool:

I also have the PF9 in my arsenal and after the required maintenance according to the other forum on the other side, took to the range and shoot with 50 rounds. The only issue that I can attribute to the gun it was a bad follower and failed to leave the slide lock in the last round. Kel-Tec sent a replacement free of charge and that cured the issue and is fine now.

The gun is brutal in the recoil. This is not a range gun and you cannot use +P ammo, and if you follow the maintenance and the required manufacture instructions, it should be a good defense weapon. But if you abuse it by shooting thousand of rounds and +P ammo, lots of failure will be experiment.

I like my Kahr better though and for the extra $100 dollar that I paid is a good deal for CCW. I had my PF9 Cera Hide and looks great, I do not know if I will keep it, but I know if I do decide to get rid of it, there are plenty of folks that will take out of my hands fast.:4:

jreXD9
01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
hello all, first post here.

In the past 6+ months I've owned or currently own 2 xd9sc's, a PF9, a Bersa .380, an xd45c, a Para Ordnance Nighthawg .45, Taurus .38 and a Sig P238. Without a doubt the Kel Tec PF9 was the most difficult to hold on to when it lit, followed by the Para. The PF9 was a pain to shoot.
Last week I traded my beautiful Sig P238 for a PM9. As much as I liked the Sig, I'm glad to step back up to 9mm in a very similar sized package. I was very pleasantly surprised at how little recoil the PM9 has.

Vinikahr
01-25-2010, 03:42 PM
I have a PF9 but I won't swear by it. First trip to range the magazine follower broke and the slide did not hold open when the last round ejected, Kel-Tec sent me a new one and that corrected the issue. The gun is not meant for extensive shooting or use +p loads, so if you shoot a bit with it will be fine for the first 50 rounds and after that the gun is too dirty and won't shoot reliable. I carry the CW9 because it very reliable in comparison to the PF9( I will sell it sometime in the future). Some individuals or groups for that matter, swear by it ( if you go to www.ktog.org (http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=newpistol) you will see what I am talking about). Anyhow the gun is good for those that cannot afford anything else. However, you have to admit that this gun sell very quick and sometimes at a premium (which that does not make any sense). I am looking forward for a PM9 as soon as the price come down a bit.:D

And sold the PF9 this last weekend at the Gun show, for the same price I paid for it.:D It was sold in 5 minutes:eek:. No regrets and definitely would never ever look back:59:

recoilguy
01-25-2010, 04:01 PM
I had a PF9 it fired one round and then it did not ever work again. Why? beats me it became someone elses problem. I now carry my CW9 every day and I shot it every week. I did not last week due to weather conditions and my hockey schedule. 51 year old knees heal real slow after a couple games.

I am so glad there are other options the KT. I bought the PF9 simply because it was very easy to afford. Lesson learned.

RCG

Vinikahr
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
I had a PF9 it fired one round and then it did not ever work again. Why? beats me it became someone elses problem. I now carry my CW9 every day and I shot it every week. I did not last week due to weather conditions and my hockey schedule. 51 year old knees heal real slow after a couple games.

I am so glad there are other options the KT. I bought the PF9 simply because it was very easy to afford. Lesson learned.

RCG

Although in my case, only had issues with the magazine follower and Kel-Tec sent me a new one, I did not feel comfortable that the parts of this firearm break so easy, the argument of some supporter is that they are cheap to replace. I guess you get what you pay for!:7: