PDA

View Full Version : Brass.How many reloads?

Dietrich
06-02-2011, 05:06 AM
I don`t know if this has been addressed in another thread but here goes.When using good quality name brand brass such as Winchester,Remington,Federal etc.,about how many times on average can you expect to reload it? I know each piece is different and there is nothing written in stone but, in general,how many times do you figure a piece of brass will hold up for and still be safe?I have about 15,000 rounds loaded up now in four different calibers,9mm,.38 special,.357 magnum and.45acp.All have been reloaded just once and I was wondering how long the brass would last.

500KV
06-02-2011, 06:55 AM
.All have been reloaded just once and I was wondering how long the brass would last.
Probably 'till you're a lot old(er) and grey(er). IOW A long time. http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/500KV_album/729242.gif

MW surveyor
06-02-2011, 07:34 AM
15 thousand, 15 thousand! Wow, sir!

For a hand gun round, I'd say keep loading them until you see some deterioration at the case mouth or can't get them to size correctly. With the exception of my revolver rounds, I think I probably lose 20% or so of the auto rounds I shoot that I make up for by picking up other people's once fired brass. So, if you don't count for randomness, in every 5 trips to the range I've just about effectively changed brass at 5 rounds. YMMV.

15,000 rounds! Still trying to get my head around that many in reserve.

Tilos
06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
For me, most wheel gun brass fails one of 2 ways, case mouth split or loose primer pocket.
The case mouth splits are from continously flaring and crimping, and for me, this means splitting in station 2 while flaring, after I've seated a primer:001_huh:.
Loose primer pockets vary by brass brand and are usually a result of near max loads in magnum calibers.
Also, if you have had to trim 357 type brass, it means the web is thinning and could seperate if you continue to load it.
And for auto stuff, I don't know:confused:...I loose more than I wear out.

Tilos

Bawanna
06-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Alot depends on the loader too. The more you flare the case mouth and crimp the sooner it will crack and fail. Hot loads wear things faster than standard loads.

Even after 1 firing you need to look em over but I know I've got brass thats went more than 10 reloads and in the old days some that went alot more than that. You begin to lose a few after awhile.

I try hard to keep the brass that Ive got from new in lots but with an auto at a range its near impossible. Tried marking cases and codes but it's just too much work.

MW surveyor
06-02-2011, 09:38 AM
What I normally do is keep reloading the same brass in my auto and make up any shortage from the stock of empties. I do inspect the cases about 4 times before loading the bullet. Before they go into the vibrator, after they come out when they are nice and shiny, after resize and then after flaring. Kinda anal about this part.

earle8888
06-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Tilos & Bawana have it right! On straight case auto's in "high pressure" loads, I usually scrap after three trim's. Lower pressure, e.i. 45ACP I have loaded reloaded to numerouse to count times. My target loads for 45, 3.5 grains Bullseye, 230 grain cast, one grease grove, Lyman #2, doesn't require case trimming. The belling thing, I have found that setting the "M" die to bell the minimum, i.e. just enough to let the bullet enter brass, has the minimum effect on neck splits, which will happen! That said, target 38SPL, 45ACP, are very easy on brass, I estimate I have some brass reloaded over 40 times.

recoilguy
06-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Straight wall pistol brass can be loaded a bunch of times. As you are puttingthe brass in to the die look it over for obvious defects ie cracks on the rim and splits at the bottom. Keep loading the ones that appear to be sound.

RCG

Dietrich
06-02-2011, 01:36 PM
15 thousand, 15 thousand! Wow, sir!

For a hand gun round, I'd say keep loading them until you see some deterioration at the case mouth or can't get them to size correctly. With the exception of my revolver rounds, I think I probably lose 20% or so of the auto rounds I shoot that I make up for by picking up other people's once fired brass. So, if you don't count for randomness, in every 5 trips to the range I've just about effectively changed brass at 5 rounds. YMMV.

15,000 rounds! Still trying to get my head around that many in reserve.

I`ve always had a feeling that someday the government would enact some type of policy concerning ammunition or reloading or somesuch and I want to make sure I have plenty in case supplies get limited.I have enough components on hand to load about 9,000 more rounds.I know I have a lot of ammo but I enjoy reloading so much I don`t think I can stop pulling that handle on my Dillon 550.I refuse to sell any and I won`t load for others [to the dismay of a few people] because of potential liability issues in the off chance I double charged a round or a squib or something.Well,I guess I should spend more time shooting and sharpening my aim.From what you guys say I won`t be running out of brass anytime soon.Thanks for your input.

Bawanna
06-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Well if things ever turn ugly, I guess uglier than they already are I plan to come hang out very close to you Dietrich. We'll take a last stand at your place to hold off the zombies.
If you don't shoot 45 I'd suggest picking one up and stock piling it as well. I don't got much platforms in 9, a Beretta 92 is about all.
I plan to get a CM9 maybe just to keep Jocko off my back but thats about it.

I do have about 3500 more 45 bullets I could load and a couple thousand 45 colt bullets I plan to share with jimbar up north since they are lead and I can't shoot em inside.

Look for me when the time comes. I'll be the handsome devil in the wheelchair. Should we create a secret password to lower the drawbridge and let me in?

Dietrich
06-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I`ve been concentrating completely on .45 ammo the last couple of weeks and I plan to keep it that way for a while.Eventually I may change the bullet type from fmj to jhp.It would be nice to load up several thousand rounds of .45acp SD ammo just in case.90% of my 9mm,.357 and .38 are all jhp bullets from Montana Gold.The jhp in 9mm was only $2.00 more per thousand than the fmj so I said what the hey.All my .38 and .357 rounds are in 125 gr. because I heard that the 125gr. bullet was a real knee slapper in those calibers if you loaded it right.I wonder how a zombie will react to a fast moving 125 gr. .357 slug .You are welcome to use my Ruger Security Six with the 7.5 inch Colt Python target barrel if you`d like to try that particular platform.Even for me it`s a tack driver.

Bawanna
06-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I`ve been concentrating completely on .45 ammo the last couple of weeks and I plan to keep it that way for a while.Eventually I may change the bullet type from fmj to jhp.It would be nice to load up several thousand rounds of .45acp SD ammo just in case.90% of my 9mm,.357 and .38 are all jhp bullets from Montana Gold.The jhp in 9mm was only $2.00 more per thousand than the fmj so I said what the hey.All my .38 and .357 rounds are in 125 gr. because I heard that the 125gr. bullet was a real knee slapper in those calibers if you loaded it right.I wonder how a zombie will react to a fast moving 125 gr. .357 slug .You are welcome to use my Ruger Security Six with the 7.5 inch Colt Python target barrel if you`d like to try that particular platform.Even for me it`s a tack driver.

I got a few 357's I'll throw those in my "Go" bag. I would love to hold your Python, those things are soooooo sweet.
I did the same thing you mention and loaded plated Rainier HP's since they were about the same cost. Then since I never carry reloads for carry I found Precision Delta FMJ's cheaper yet. So I went with those. I figure if I'm at your place HP, FMJ, Lead it won't matter much. The Zombies won't really care.
I'm concerned about getting there in troubled times. Your about as far away as you can get without getting wet. I'm thinking maybe a tunnel? Damn that's a lot of digging. My luck I'd dig and dig, hit Jocko's septic tank and end up at Wyns down in Florida. Pop out of my gopher hole and go WTF?

MW surveyor
06-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Bawanna, if you can make it half way I'll get you there the rest of the way!

So Dietrich, you've got enough stock on hand to load another 9,000 rounds. What's keep'n you? LOL :)

I've only got about 1,200 rounds of reloaded stuff pretty equally divided in to 9 mm, 38 +P, 357 and 45 ACP plus enough for reloading another 3,000 again pretty equally divided. Also have some factory ammo laying around for each. But I do have nearly 5,000 rounds of 22 lr! I can see where I need to stock up some more and get the stocks up in the reloaded area.

Dietrich
06-02-2011, 07:58 PM
When loading .45 target ammo I1ve gone totally with Precision Delta bullets.You just can`t beat their prices.Now I`m starting to buy fmj 9mm from them too seeing as I have plenty of jhp loaded.I think the only bullets I`ll be buying from Montana Gold for a while are the jhp 125 gr .38 cal.I like Precision Delta.Wish they made jhps or fmj in .38.On another note,it seems I heard somewhere you aren`t supposed to shoot lead bullets in Glocks.Is that right? Something about their barrels not liking lead...

Bawanna
06-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Lead isn't recommended in any polygonal barrel. Many do it and get away with it. I don't do it. I'm told it's a pressure issue. You can shoot 1000 without issue and 1001 will blow up. Or it could blow up on 5. Many shoot em without issue. I never really liked lead anyhow.
Ok in my 45 Colts but I can't use it anymore at our indoor ranges so back to jackets for that too.

MikeyKahr
06-02-2011, 08:56 PM
I would love to hold your Python...

Someone had to say something. :80:

Dietrich
06-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Someone had to say something. :80:

Mikey,you are correct.I didn`t want to be the one to out Bawanna because we all know how testy she can be.But when they come in chest high,across the middle of the plate,you`ve got to swing at `em.One point of clarification.I don`t own a Colt Python.Sure wish I did.I own a Ruger Security Six that a gunsmith friend outfitted with a Colt Python barrel.

Bawanna
06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
It's always the barrel or the snake.

Sambo
06-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Like others have mentioned, it's all about how much the brass is worked and the pressure of the rounds. I've loaded 38 special rounds (17,000 psi) more than 25 times without a single failure but have had numerous .357 (35,000+ psi) cracked case mouths at less than 8 reloads. I would assume 9 and 40 would have less case life than the low pressure 45. I only load 45 and have never even seen a cracked case mouth. The old military vets at the range say they reload 45 until the primers won't stay in. I think semi auto brass should last longer because taper crimping isn't as drastic as roll crimping of revolver rounds.

TonyT
06-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I don`t know if this has been addressed in another thread but here goes.When using good quality name brand brass such as Winchester,Remington,Federal etc.,about how many times on average can you expect to reload it? I know each piece is different and there is nothing written in stone but, in general,how many times do you figure a piece of brass will hold up for and still be safe?I have about 15,000 rounds loaded up now in four different calibers,9mm,.38 special,.357 magnum and.45acp.All have been reloaded just once and I was wondering how long the brass would last.
With the low pressure pistol cartridges such as 38 Special, 44 Special and 45 ACP I load until I notice fraying on the case neck. With the high pressure cartidges such as 9mm and 40 S&W I relaod 4 times before consigning the cases to the scrap heap.

earle8888
06-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Bawana-- FWEITSWorth! I have had good success with lead in both a Glock 19 and Kahr P45. Did do the full "Tetra" treatment. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead--- maybe the next one????????????????
Trying to get a good price on copper washed/ plated 230RB. Its the cleaning thing!

Bawanna
06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Bawana-- FWEITSWorth! I have had good success with lead in both a Glock 19 and Kahr P45. Did do the full "Tetra" treatment. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead--- maybe the next one????????????????
Trying to get a good price on copper washed/ plated 230RB. Its the cleaning thing!

I don't now anyone that has ever blown up a polygonal gun shooting lead but it apparently has happened and thats exactly the phrase I heard, could be the next one.

I really like loading nice clean jacketed bullets, must be my love of shiney things. I really like the Precision Delta bullets. Good enough price for me to shoot.