PDA

View Full Version : conceal carry summer clothes

f44life
06-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Its 90 sum degrees here. I want to wear a wife beater tank and i know with my crossbreed it will show some bulk on my side...do you think that would draw to much attention? thoughts or what you guys where?

jlottmc
06-04-2011, 12:20 PM
I usually wear jeans and T-shirt pretty much all year. Yes it gets a bit warm here in TX, but I also work with lots of stuff were I need pants. When I'm at work, I usually have to leave the weapon in the truck, and have a thinner shirt (with undershirt) and thinner pants. The only time one would see my pale self is when I go to the pool (still working on a knife/gun rig for that).

f44life
06-04-2011, 12:31 PM
a beater is more comfortable just worried about it may draw too much attention if people are observant

Bawanna
06-04-2011, 01:10 PM
I've found (and keep in mind here in Washington 90 is a very rare thing and not for long periods of time) that a light material button shirt is cooler (as in temp, not looks) than a beater. I often times just leave it unbuttoned and untucked. Isn't nearly as form fitting and clingy as the beater material.
You can go places in the button shirt that might not be socially acceptable in a beater, course in some areas I don't think they have ever heard of a dress code either.
I seldom wear shorts unless I'm swimming or on the beach which is only for a couple weeks each year so if it gets to warm I just stick with the PM45 on the ankle and can do whatever I want up top.

When I have to wear clothes like my uniform I have a Woolrich vest that I wear to cover my gun on days it's too warm for a light jacket etc. I sometimes wear it alone also. Relatively cool and conceals everything I wear. I prefer it over the 511 as it has less pockets, doesn't fit so snug and doesn't scream I'm hiding a gun.

OldLincoln
06-04-2011, 01:50 PM
When I wear very light I pocket carry. No kind of IWB that I know of will conceal even a PM9 under my beater shirts. I usually wear them and a light weight over shirt because my suspenders bug my bare skin. Doesn't seem to make much difference in our dry heat.

yqtszhj
06-04-2011, 04:17 PM
You could go "Larry the Cable Guy" and cut the sleves out of your shirts? :D

bonjorno2
06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
just carry a pocket gun if you plan to dress that way... carrying concealed is not always comfortable.

Bawanna
06-04-2011, 05:28 PM
You could go "Larry the Cable Guy" and cut the sleves out of your shirts? :D

I do that to all my button shirts. Quite a few years ago when I first started doing that I cut the sleeves off while on vacation and went down to the beach where the wife and family were. She asked what the heck I'd done and I told her not to worry, I'd saved them on the counter and when we got home she could sew em back on.
There was an old lady there that if looks could kill I'd be dead. She surely has me pegged as a male chavenist pig for sure.

wyntrout
06-04-2011, 05:33 PM
"You could go "Larry the Cable Guy" and cut the sleeves out of your shirts? :D"

You have the right to BARE ARMS! Yuck, yuck.

Wynn:D

wyntrout
06-04-2011, 05:50 PM
I go for voluminous... long and loose shirts... with a pocket... gotta have a shirt pocket... kleenex, pen, and sometimes glasses. Cabelas makes some decent Polos for $14.99... got 'em on sale for $11.99 each. These are larger than I really need and they don't shrink. I get the Large size and I'm wondering if Medium will do. Too many shirts SHRINK... get shorter and some get wider as well... sucks for CCW.

I went on a Polo buying spree a few weeks ago online and in the stores. The Cabelas are the best at not shrinking and are plenty long!

Wynn:)

Barth
06-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I live in Florida and know all about the heat.
Tried fanny packs, IWB, paddle, ankle and shoulder rigs.

On the weekends -
I carry my MK40 Elite Micro in a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster with a Galco reinforced belt and tactical/cargo pants.

During the week -
In dress cloths (and everyone going to hate me for this)
I carry my 11 ounce S&W 342 Titanium snub nose revolver in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (ANY PANTS/ANY BELT). Even works in shorts going to the gym.
The little monster is so light and small I don't even need a belt
and I often forget it's even in my pocket.

I'm sure a PM40/9 would work as good as my Smith (I just already have it...)

slowpoke
06-04-2011, 07:30 PM
In hot weather using a small gun I like a rear loop holster similar to those made by Mitch Rosen under a polo shirt with cargo shorts.
I don't care for anything that has a large "sweat print" because I live in a hot sticky climate.

TucsonMTB
06-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm in the pocket crowd with bonjorno2. The pocket .380 ACP semi-automatic of your choice will even work in the pocket of swim trunks. So far this summer, my new this year PM40 has been just fine in a pocket or a paddle holster. Perspiration doesn't seem to bother a Fobus. Isn't plastic handy!? :)

f44life
06-04-2011, 09:20 PM
thanks for the replys guys, i guess ill have to get a pocket holster and carry that way if im in a beater

Zippo Guy
06-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I go with the P380 in a Recluse holster in my right front pocket. Works great and can carry in shorts or bathing suit while out on the houseboat.

bonjorno2
06-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I live in Florida and know all about the heat.
Tried fanny packs, IWB, paddle, ankle and shoulder rigs.

On the weekends -
I carry my MK40 Elite Micro in a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster with a Galco reinforced belt and tactical/cargo pants.

During the week -
In dress cloths (and everyone going to hate me for this)
I carry my 11 ounce S&W 342 Titanium snub nose revolver in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (ANY PANTS/ANY BELT). Even works in shorts going to the gym.
The little monster is so light and small I don't even need a belt
and I often forget it's even in my pocket.

I'm sure a PM40/9 would work as good as my Smith (I just already have it...)

i had a 342 and agree they are so light you don't need a belt... However they aren't the most pleasant things to shoot +p and you feel it in your pocket more because the cylinder is much wider than any pocket kahr out there.... I live in Florida also and I usually wear shorts, tshirt, and sandals so a iwb gun and a pocket gun are my best friends. It will depend on the clothes you wear and the person as to what is comfortable to them... I would rather carry iwb then in my pocket, but sometimes it's not a option.

Shawn Dodson
06-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I also live in Florida and I usually wear a light fabric short sleeve button up shirt (unbuttoned) over a tucked in muscle t-shirt when I ccw. When it gets breezy (and it frequently does) I can button a bottom button of the shirt to keep my pistol concealed.

Depending on my dress I may carry a Glock 19 or Kahr PM-9.

I wear the muscleman t-shirt to keep the gun/holster from rubbing directly against my skin when I'm sweaty. I have several different colors so I can be somewhat fashionable.

I carry my Glock 19 in a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion leather IWB at about 4 o'clock. I carry my PM-9 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II leather IWB either at about 4 o'clock or appendix.

wayneo1
06-17-2011, 02:56 PM
I like the hawaiian shirt ,covers no problem and comes in a lot of different patterns. during the week I use my gun bra which might work with a loose polo but I am not sure I use it with normal shirts works great.

jocko
06-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Humm gun bra: very interesting weiner, oops sorry wayneo1

wayneo1
06-17-2011, 06:15 PM
I had the gun bra thing for years in my holster draw never to be worn again until I got the Kahr mk9 and needed something to carry it in while I waited for my r grizzle holster. I tried the bra and low and behold I was amazed how well it works. I have no fear of being made at work at all. Here is what its really called http://www.activeprogear.com/234.html

CertifiedGunNut
06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
I carry from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm yes even at home. Nobody ever broke into a house when people were home, right? I have carried an all steel government 1911 90% of the time and it is easier than most people think to conceal and carry, a good belt is a must. I recently picked up an officer length for those times when I must tuck my shirt in (few and far between).

ltxi
06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I carry from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm yes even at home. Nobody ever broke into a house when people were home, right? I have carried an all steel government 1911 90% of the time and it is easier than most people think to conceal and carry, a good belt is a must. I recently picked up an officer length for those times when I must tuck my shirt in (few and far between).

I agree about the 1911 being easier to conceal than most folk think. Although my u&c these days is a PM9 in a Mitch Rosen Clipper for ease and convenience, my preferred carry weapon is and has been pretty much forever a 1911Colts LW Officers ACP in a Galco NSA holster.

Dietrich
06-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Forecast for tomorrow here in coastal NC. High 97 with high humidity.I will be carrying my PM9 in a Crossbreed minituck.I`ll be wearing a Guy Harvey T- shirt and a pair of my Daisy Dukes.[cut off jeans]

Bawanna
06-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Forecast for tomorrow here in coastal NC. High 97 with high humidity.I will be carrying my PM9 in a Crossbreed minituck.I`ll be wearing a Guy Harvey T- shirt and a pair of my Daisy Dukes.[cut off jeans]

Now that's worth dusting off the camera for right there.

I better go send Dear Dietrich a request.

TucsonMTB
06-21-2011, 09:36 PM
http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/TucsonSummerWeather.jpg

PM40, shorts, sandals and a golf shirt or bike jersey . . . with lots of fluids. ;)

garyb
06-22-2011, 08:27 AM
I carry all day, even at home...PM40 in a Remora at 3or4-IWB (all seasons) with pretty much any clothing (shorts, swim trunks, jeans, cargo pants, Tshirt, button down loose shirt, sweat shirt, tank top, belt, no belt, etc...). It does not matter what clothes I wear, as the Remora is comfy and holds in place without a belt and does not display the PM at all. I used to pocket a leather Guru pocket holster with the PM40, but not as often anymore. I have a Gould and Goodrich leather paddle but rarely use it because it displays far more and is not as comfy as the Remora. I LOVE my Remora even with swim trunks (simply tighten up the draw string a little) and any shirt over/outside. I just have to be careful to remember to remove the PM before hopping in the Spa because it is so comfortable, sometimes I forget about it. It does not require a belt clip and it comfortably holds in place. If you go Remora, you won't go back. Also, because I've covered my polymer grip with AGRIP material, it makes the PM even more comfortable, with a cloth like feel against my skin. This is one of the hidden advantages of AGRIP material because it is not effected by moisture, improves/softens the grip and makes the gun feel softer against my skin (hand or waist). I just like the PM40's SD and carry capability, in the Remora with AGRIP, because it is very comfortable in ANY clothing with essentially no concerns. (I even saw a UTube vid of a hotty carrying her Remora in a bikini with a cover-up - nice vid).

jlottmc
06-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Post a link to that. That's all I'm saying.

O'Dell
06-22-2011, 10:48 AM
I go for voluminous... long and loose shirts... with a pocket... gotta have a shirt pocket... kleenex, pen, and sometimes glasses. Cabelas makes some decent Polos for $14.99... got 'em on sale for $11.99 each. These are larger than I really need and they don't shrink. I get the Large size and I'm wondering if Medium will do. Too many shirts SHRINK... get shorter and some get wider as well... sucks for CCW.

I went on a Polo buying spree a few weeks ago online and in the stores. The Cabelas are the best at not shrinking and are plenty long!

Wynn:)

I'm with you Wynn. I don't own a tank top and seldom wear tee's except when I'm working. Mostly it's golf style shirts and button shirts cut loose. I think they're cooler. [temp] With a 42 in chest and 33 waist, I can wear a medium, but usually buy large. And pockets, I won't buy a shirt w/o a pocket for pens and other stuff.

In our recent bout of mid-nineties, I been carrying the PM9 or LCP in a thin paddle holster, and letting the untucked shirt cover it. I've also been using an ankle holster more than usual, or just the front pants pocket if I'm not wearing jeans.

OldLincoln
06-22-2011, 11:25 AM

PM40, shorts, sandals and a golf shirt or bike jersey . . . with lots of fluids. ;)

But it's a "dry" heat, so it must feel more like 80, right?:D It's 107* here today and I hear that stuff all the time. Hot is hot, but I agree it's better dry than 90/90 (degree/humidity).

Bawanna
06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Well how hot was it? It was DAMN hot! That's hot right there. No wonder theres snakes and bugs and crawly things down there, they like hot.
Wish I had enough loot to fix the air conditioning in my van, gonna be another hot summer I think.
Roll the windas down and drive fast........

O'Dell
06-22-2011, 11:43 AM

I spent a week at the Sheraton Resort in Scottsdale in the nineties near the end of May. I think the coolest day was 104. I don't care how dry it is, over 100 is oppressive. The Resort was set up in 8-plexes scattered over about 150 acres. They insisted that they take the guest back to their unit in golf carts. They would not let you walk from the main center to your room.

OldLincoln
06-22-2011, 01:46 PM
I went to my local Lowes the other day and needed some wire they had in the nursery dept. I got my wire and walked through the plant section to the front when the temp drop at least 20* like a curtain. They had fans mounted up high with misters putting out a wall of mist that never made it to ground level but sure cooled it off in there.

It would take a lot of misters but a pretty good idea for the back yard. Of course they are promising to install water meters here within 2 years (CA Law of course).

ltxi
06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
My only experience ever with heatstroke was on a rigorous bike ride in Tucson in July or August about 30 years ago. Was visiting a friend for the weekend, the temps were well over 100, but I wasn't noticing or staying hydrated because of the low humidity and distraction. Shoulda known better as I was no stranger to the desert but simply wasn't paying attention to much of anything other than an extremely attractive companion. Not my worst case of male, wrong brain distraction ever but pretty high on the scale.

TucsonMTB
06-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Hmmmmm . . . seem to have missed a few messages. :o

But it's a "dry" heat, so it must feel more like 80, right? It's 107* here today and I hear that stuff all the time. Hot is hot, but I agree it's better dry than 90/90 (degree/humidity).
Hey, Old Lincoln! Oddly, the only people we ever hear using the "dry heat" terminology are people who don't live here. Standing on my front patio facing into the breeze reminds me of standing in front of a hot air register during winter in the mid-west.

It's better during the winter, IMHO. ;)

Well how hot was it? It was DAMN hot! That's hot right there. No wonder theres snakes and bugs and crawly things down there, they like hot.
Wish I had enough loot to fix the air conditioning in my van, gonna be another hot summer I think.
Roll the windas down and drive fast........
Hey Bawanna! In Tucson, anyone entering an intersection with their windows down in the summer automatically has the right of way. And that's exactly how it should be. The guy wearing oven mitts to handle the hot steering wheel gets extra points and is generally regarded as an innovative genius. :D

I spent a week at the Sheraton Resort in Scottsdale in the nineties near the end of May. I think the coolest day was 104. I don't care how dry it is, over 100 is oppressive. The Resort was set up in 8-plexes scattered over about 150 acres. They insisted that they take the guest back to their unit in golf carts. They would not let you walk from the main center to your room.
Yep! Snottsdale has the right approach. You get what you pay for.

But, you are in the entertainment business, so I don't have to tell you. :D

I went to my local Lowes the other day and needed some wire they had in the nursery dept. I got my wire and walked through the plant section to the front when the temp drop at least 20* like a curtain. They had fans mounted up high with misters putting out a wall of mist that never made it to ground level but sure cooled it off in there.

It would take a lot of misters but a pretty good idea for the back yard. Of course they are promising to install water meters here within 2 years (CA Law of course).
Those large, rectangular boxes on the roofs of many older homes here are very effective evaporative coolers and still the least expensive way to cool a structure. Refrigerative cooling certainly works better during monsoon, but the cost of maintaining a evap cooler (usually lots of new parts annually) is still much lower than electricity for "real" air conditioning. :)

Our house is well insulated. Except during the really hot part of the year, like now, opening the house to cool and night and sealing up during the day works remarkably well. For late June, and all of July and August, God created air conditioning. For which I give thanks! :D

TucsonMTB
06-22-2011, 06:55 PM
My only experience ever with heatstroke was on a rigorous bike ride in Tucson in July or August about 30 years ago. Was visiting a friend for the weekend, the temps were well over 100, but I wasn't noticing or staying hydrated because of the low humidity and distraction. Shoulda known better as I was no stranger to the desert but simply wasn't paying attention to much of anything other than an extremely attractive companion. Not my worst case of male, wrong brain distraction ever but pretty high on the scale.
I'm sort of a slow learner myself. It took a couple of experiences for my wife to train me. One involved a face plant on the tile in the entry way when I fainted after a ride. Big gash above the left eye, stitches and the whole nine yards. You'd think I would have learned.

Nope! Two years later I had to use my cell phone to get rescued by SWMBO when I ran out of water on a return from a longer ride only two miles from civilization. At least I got points for being bright enough to call. :rolleyes:

Did I mention that my wife is a saint? :D

Jitterbug
06-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I second the Hawaiian type shirt over a tee shirt, I can carry up to a 1911 Commander that way, I can go OWB but IWB is more concealable.

I've carried the Kahr PM9 in a Milt Sparks Watch Six, when wearing that top with shorts, pretty comfortable and concealable.

Otherwise it's pocket carry in the Densantis Nemesis, either PM9 or S&W 442.

MikeyKahr
06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Did I mention that my wife is a saint? :D

Well, duh, she married you, didn't she!? ;):p:boink:

melissa5
06-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Gentlemen, the answer to this problem is smart carry. That way you don't have to worry about what shirt to wear and the ladies will always think you are happy to see them. :)

Bawanna
06-23-2011, 12:24 PM
I can't believe she said that!:eek: Can anyone believe she said that?

That's a Dietrichism but she said it. I can't beleive she said that.

I'm gettin a Desert Eagle 50AE and a smart carry.

Denny M
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Tell me she didn't say it. I don't want to believe she said it. Say it aint so Bawanna!

Bawanna
06-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Tell me she didn't say it. I don't want to believe she said it. Say it aint so Bawanna!

I wish I could, I keep going back thinking it's just a pigment of my interrogation but it's still there clear as day in ?? are we still allowed to say black and white.

Gray_Rider
09-06-2013, 10:59 PM
So far, I find a beater under a dark t-shirt works for my IWB Glock 30, 26, and keeps my skin from being chafed by the gun or holster.

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!
We warned you in 1862!

Gray_Rider
09-06-2013, 11:13 PM
This is in N. Fla. heat. I am 5' 10" and roughly 185#. Glock 30/26 or occasionally S/W 642 strong side, with KelTec P32 BUG weak side IWB.

The 'beater absorbs a lot of sweat and keeps wicking the moisture away and leaves the outer shirt dryer too. The lack of sleaves on 'beater keeps a lot of body heat flowing out too.

Gray_Rider

AIRret
09-07-2013, 06:31 AM
When wearing a tank top, shorts sandals and no belt I usually carry in a smart holster at the 8 O-Clock position.
However, I prefer wearing a loose shirt (polo) and carrying my PM 9 in a blade tech eclipse holster. Since the gun is so small (short) it doesn't show even with when wearing light clothing.

Barth
09-13-2013, 05:56 AM
On the weekends, even in the steaming Florida summer,
I wear a tank top under a light, dark colored, mostly unbuttoned shirt.
It sounds strange.
But with a quality belt and holster.
I can easily carry my USP45 Tactical cross-draw.
And twin reloads in a horizontal mag pouch.
Plus my S&W 342 in my pocket with dual speed strips.
Admittedly I carry twin blades also.
A Cold Steel push dagger and Spyderco Pacific Salt H1 folder.

I know It sounds like a lot of hardware.
But it's really quite light, comfortable and easy to conceal.
Even in 90 degree heat.

With 20 + years of concealed carry I've gotten pretty good at this.

WLEEP
09-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Barth,

I also live in steamy FL., and definitely want you on my side when the SHTF!