PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Kahr for CCW which one???

Zertek
12-13-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm a complete noob about Kahr's Im thinking about getting one for CCW right now I carry a Glock 19 in a MTAC so what would you guys recommend the only thing I know is I want a 9mm, so what do you think?? :)

mr surveyor
12-13-2009, 06:20 PM
you didn't say HOW you intended to carry:

Pocket?

IWB?

OWB?

Shoulder Holster?

Ankle Holster?

Mexican Carry?

If you're like me in a concealed carry only state, you still gotta dress around your gun

surv

bookemdano
12-13-2009, 07:33 PM
My kahr cw9mm is a great carry gun.It is a great entry level kahr semi auto.Most components of cw's are virtually the same as the more expensive ones.Carry mine with a desantis inside the pants leather holster with comfort.Costs under 30 dols.I paid 449 dols for my cw9 which only included 1 seven round mag.Have shot about 600 rounds through it w/o any problems at all.Would recommend one.

Dietrich
12-14-2009, 03:39 AM
If you`re looking for a handgun that you can carry IWB or in your pocket, then the PM9 is your best bet.Rated at +P, it gives meaning to the phrase "dynamite comes in small packages." Very easy to conceal,light and dependable. I have 4 fine handguns that I can use for concealed carry. The PM9 is with me 95% of the time.

cobraetti
12-14-2009, 05:22 AM
The P9 fit my hand better....

hdawson
12-14-2009, 06:41 AM
Kahr CW9 is a great carry weapon. I've added the Crimson Trace laser and very comfortably carry in a Mitch Rosen leather belt holster. I have no desire to pocket carry.

cobraetti
12-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Kahr CW9 is a great carry weapon. I've added the Crimson Trace laser and very comfortably carry in a Mitch Rosen leather belt holster. I have no desire to pocket carry.

do you have any pics? thinking of the crimson trace sight.

hdawson
12-14-2009, 11:00 AM
No personal picsl, but here Laser Sights For Kahr Arms Pistols | Crimson Trace Laser Grips (http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/KahrArms/tabid/305/Default.aspx)

Or check the Kahr website. Kahr Arms | Maker of high quality handguns in USA (http://www.kahr.com)

jocko
12-14-2009, 11:35 AM
The P9 fit my hand better....

not ur pocket:p

jocko
12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm a complete noob about Kahr's Im thinking about getting one for CCW right now I carry a Glock 19 in a MTAC so what would you guys recommend the only thing I know is I want a 9mm, so what do you think?? :)

PM sent

G-9
12-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I really like my PM9 and PM40. I have small hands so they are a great fit. Find a Kahr which fits your hand and feels good in it. IWB carry is easy and comfortable with the PM's.
Kahr has a full line in which to choose. The best gun for you is the best gun for YOU.

jocko
12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
nice last sentence and so right u are also.

Ihave a PM9 that I carry 24/7 and shoot it like I stole it and I don't shoot it near as good as my G19 and I accept that, Some people who buy kahrs are dissapointed in tha tthey can't get the accuracy they feel they should get for reaosn "naturally" it is always the guns fault. Kahrs are not the easiest guns to shoot accurately IMO. due to the loooooong trigger pull but they are a very close up and personal defense gun and if u really are after 25 yards beer can busters, probably a better choice is out there for sure, for me any how..

I love my g19 but it is what it is , my range gun and home defense gun along with my K9 and PM9. My primary range gun is and ahs been fromt he git go my PM9. I feel if I can't shoot my PM9 like I stole it, then I really don't want it.....They are IMO just that good of a firearm... Made to shoot a hell of alot and carry often..

cobraetti
12-14-2009, 04:48 PM
not ur pocket:p

small pockets;)

the crimson trace sights don't interfere with the IWB holster??

CDW
12-14-2009, 06:27 PM
That has been the evolution of my CCW experience. When I went from the 23 to the 27 it was a big improvement, but when I went from the 27 to the PM40 I knew I had found THE ONE. Like the previous posters pointed out, Kahr makes a whole range of pistols. Find the one that fits you best and enjoy.

Still love my Glocks, but the Kahr is with me every day.

O'Dell
12-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I really like my CW9. It's about the same size as my PF9 and only slightly heavier, but is much better made. So far, I have 400+ rounds of ball and various HP through it without one problem. The PF9 chokes on some ammo, especially WWB, and I don't completely trust it. I was going to buy a 709 Slim, but because of somewhat shaky online reviews, I paid the extra $30 for the CW9. It was a good decision.

modbuilder
12-21-2009, 05:33 PM
First time poster.

I bought a MK9 Elite two years ago and think it's a fantastic gun. I intended it for carry, but found it's still a little heavy for conveniently carrying on a full time basis, and it frequently prints more than I want while carrying. I bought a P380 last week (see brief forum thread on initial impressions here: Impulse Buy - Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159514)). I've been carrying the P380 in a variety of places with absolute comfort and convenience for not-quite a week now. This thing is a dream to carry. After the first trip to the range, it's a keeper. The only qualification is have is the lack of range ammo availability. Personal defense ammo is available, but I may have to start reloading to get enough practice ammo. Otherwise, can't go wrong with the P380. .............. R

medezyner
12-22-2009, 06:02 AM
For everyday versatility, I decided to go with the PM9. I kicked around getting the MK9, but the added weight made it less versatile (for me). My PM9 is on order and it’s going to be attached to me like another arm. If it can’t go on my hip, it’s going in the pocket or ankle. My Kel-Tec P3AT isn’t enough fire power, my Glock 26 too thick and the Colt too big/heavy. I carried them all and IMHO the PM9 has no equal for balancing quality, versatility, firepower (+P) and concealability.

jocko
12-22-2009, 08:30 AM
For everyday versatility, I decided to go with the PM9. I kicked around getting the MK9, but the added weight made it less versatile (for me). My PM9 is on order and it’s going to be attached to me like another arm. If it can’t go on my hip, it’s going in the pocket or ankle. My Kel-Tec P3AT isn’t enough fire power, my Glock 26 too thick and the Colt too big/heavy. I carried them all and IMHO the PM9 has no equal for balancing quality, versatility, firepower (+P) and concealability.

can't add anything to those comments. Your last sentence says it all.

John J
01-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I like my P9 as it fits my hand well and is light weight.

fitzgood
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Like you I have bigger carry guns and I was shopping for my small, light carry option. I considered the CW9, P9, PM9 and MK9 and I don't think I could have made up my mind until I got to handle them. As soon as I held the MK I knew it was more weight than I wanted to pack (for this gun). The CW and P9 felt good but were a little bigger than I wanted. So all the PM9 had to do was not be too small for my grip and it wasn't so I got the PM9 and I love it. If you have huge paws you might find the P9 or CW to be as small as you want to go. I think you need to go get your hands on some of them.

RiskPro
01-11-2010, 08:40 PM
I still have my G-23 and acquired a CW-9 for many of the reasons other members stated. Easy to conceal, light, accurate and dependable. I also like the fact that it is very similar to the Glock in some ways.

Thus far (500 rounds) I am very pleased and no F2F or F2E as of yet. Coming from the G23 the CW9 has very little recoil and is accurate for me.

Good luck and let us know what you decide either way

RevDerb
01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
I currently carry a CW9 which has had zero issues. I've purchased and should be able to pick up tomorrow a second hand PM9 which will probably become my primary carry once I have gained confidence in it. I have had both before and am equally confident in them for CCW.

Hammer
01-12-2010, 06:32 AM
This thread reads like "Goldilocks and the 3 bears"!:D "This ones too big, this ones too small, this ones just right".

Personally, I think the PM series are about the perfect dedicated conceal carry gun. Easy to conceal and still pack plenty of punch.
That said, I went with a CW9 first, and then upgraded to a P9. I have large hands and the CW-P series just fit me better. I gave up a little concealability, but it's a better shooter for me.
Best regards in your search.

In-Yo-Grill
01-12-2010, 06:55 AM
I've only owned two Kahr 9mm's. One is the P9; accurate, very light, easy to conceal and shoots great. The second is my MK9; heavier than the P9, easy to conceal and also shoots really well. I carry mine in an IWB holster.

oldtex
01-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Is there some reason why you're not satisfied with the Glock 19?

If the thickness of the G19/MTAC system is bothering you, if the G19 grip is just uncomfortable for you, or if you want to pocket carry a gun, then I can understand the desire to change.

If the Glock fits you, you can conceal it well, and you're just looking for something different, then I'd say almost any change from a G19 is a step in the wrong direction. In terms of the total package of reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, shootability, simplicity of operation, magazine capacity, etc, etc the G19 is IMHO very hard to beat.

500KV
01-15-2010, 09:27 AM
If the Glock fits you, you can conceal it well, and you're just looking for something different, then I'd say almost any change from a G19 is a step in the wrong direction. In terms of the total package of reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, shootability, simplicity of operation, magazine capacity, etc, etc the G19 is IMHO very hard to beat.
Have to agree with this statement.
It's hard to beat the overall features of the G19.
OTOH the PM9 will probably conceal a little better and mine has been 100% from the get-go.
You can't have too many guns, however I get frustrated when trying to decide "what to carry today".

Arch Angel
01-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Excellent discussion. I have a CW9 and I'll be purchasing a CW40 as soon as I get back from the "Sandbox". Another aspect to consider is what are you wearing most of the time you want to carry? I love carrying my CW9 to church b/c it is a great gun to conceal when in dress clothes.

Certainly in the fall and winter when I'm wearing a jacket, I usually opt for a full size weapon like my Glock 17 or my Sig 226 or my Kimber or the my XD45 - you get the picture. It is wonderful to get to the point where you have options (more guns to choose from). Before I left for my wonderful trip to Iraq, I found myself carrying the CW9 alot even though I had many options to choose from, that is why I want to purchase the CW40.

Remember, there is no perfect gun for everyone. There are alot of great choices. The Kahr line is a wonderful place to start.

Vinikahr
01-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Excellent discussion. I have a CW9 and I'll be purchasing a CW40 as soon as I get back from the "Sandbox". Another aspect to consider is what are you wearing most of the time you want to carry? I love carrying my CW9 to church b/c it is a great gun to conceal when in dress clothes.

Certainly in the fall and winter when I'm wearing a jacket, I usually opt for a full size weapon like my Glock 17 or my Sig 226 or my Kimber or the my XD45 - you get the picture. It is wonderful to get to the point where you have options (more guns to choose from). Before I left for my wonderful trip to Iraq, I found myself carrying the CW9 alot even though I had many options to choose from, that is why I want to purchase the CW40.

Remember, there is no perfect gun for everyone. There are alot of great choices. The Kahr line is a wonderful place to start.

Amen Arch Angel. And I thank :80: you for your service.:86:

500KV
01-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Absolutely right about the great choices Arch Angel.

I think you'll like the CW40.

I view it as a compromise between the PM9 and CW45 for C/C.
It really has become my "most often carried" piece although my accuracy is somewhat better with the .45.

Good luck and be careful over there..

druryj
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
CW9 in a Mitch Rosen Clipper IWB or a Kramer Belt Scabbard OWB can't be beat. Gonna have to go with the PM9 if pocket carry is your thing. (That's for my j-frame).

rkirk
03-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I have to say the G19 is a very good balance of size, weight and fire power. I have several outstanding pistols, BHP, XD and have handled and shot many others. I was considering a G19 for the reasons stated until I really needed a lighter slim pistol. I tried several different model Kahr pistols. A PM9 and a MK9. I reasoned that for me a longer grip and a little more barrel length would provide more control. So after almost a year of hand ringing and shooting various pistols I bought a CW9. I now have more than 300 rounds down range. I am not disappointed. It is my new carry pistol. It took a little work to learn the trigger, I have never been a revolver guy. Kahr has an outstanding double action trigger. I don't know why I resisted so long! I guess I thought single action triggers or Glock or XD triggers were easer to manage. Not so! This pistol is so simple, grip the gun, aim, pull the trigger. The CW9 is 21 ounces with 7+1. A spare magazine is 5 ounces. Great package.

-- Richard

Vincent
03-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I picked the CW9. I would maybe prefer the P9 but could afford the CW9 better. As for hiding it I have repeated asked my wife and my buddy the gunsmith and neither can tell if I'm carrying it or not.

While the Kahr can handle the 40 I think it is a better 9mm. The CW9 is only 17 oz empty and 24-25 loaded. With that weight the 9 is more controllable and with today's premium ammo it is just as good.

While I would never say the PM9 is a bad choice (indeed it is fine choice) for me the CW9 or P9 is a better answer.

You can not go wrong either way and it really comes down to personal choice.

The only Kahr I would say is not a good idea is the PM45. Not only many reports of trouble but one of the most knowledgable gunsmiths/shooters around, Bruce Gray can go on for a while about all the technical reasons that 45 ACP should not be made with a barrel that short. Clint Smith is also dead set against super short barreled 45s.

I would not be afraid of the P45 however as it has proven a better design.

Vinikahr
03-20-2010, 10:29 PM
I picked the CW9. I would maybe prefer the P9 but could afford the CW9 better. As for hiding it I have repeated asked my wife and my buddy the gunsmith and neither can tell if I'm carrying it or not.

While the Kahr can handle the 40 I think it is a better 9mm. The CW9 is only 17 oz empty and 24-25 loaded. With that weight the 9 is more controllable and with today's premium ammo it is just as good.

While I would never say the PM9 is a bad choice (indeed it is fine choice) for me the CW9 or P9 is a better answer.

You can not go wrong either way and it really comes down to personal choice.

The only Kahr I would say is not a good idea is the PM45. Not only many reports of trouble but one of the most knowledgable gunsmiths/shooters around, Bruce Gray can go on for a while about all the technical reasons that 45 ACP should not be made with a barrel that short. Clint Smith is also dead set against super short barreled 45s.

I would not be afraid of the P45 however as it has proven a better design.

CW9 is a good firearm and was my first Kahr and I would never voluntary depart from it, even it sits in my safe. I would not buy a PM45, Too small for my taste in .45. Second there is no way I can justify a $800 plus gun( I have limits on per gun and rifles). Third, too many issues. However, if they come out with a 45 GAP, I may take a look at it(of course is the price is right and functions). :crazy::smash::84:

jkalantzis
03-21-2010, 06:07 AM

I carry a PM9 and love it, my only advise is make sure you look at all options before you take one home. If you would ever consider wanting night sights on you gun, purchase one with them. It will save you from having to ship it off to have it them installed.

Vincent
03-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Oh yeah....holsters. I am very happy with my Bianchi 105. It is a OWB belt slide kind of thing that is nicely molded to the gun. If you are going to doing anything strenuous like running and such it has a neat rubber "O" ring with a leather tap on it that you slip over the back of the slide. Another benefit is that it holds the pistol tightly against your body and helps with concealment.

shooter54
03-21-2010, 05:18 PM
I think the CW-9 is perfect for carry. Not too heavy and very controllable to shoot.I live in south Texas so heat can be an issue. I wear IWB with pants and even with cargo shorts and untucked shirt. I suppose one could carry in the cargo pockets with a pocket holster. I own several pistols and revolvers, but I carry the CW-9 as my main ccw. I have carried a S&W 642 in an ankle holster at times when I have to wear a tucked in shirt.