PDA

View Full Version : Wolf or Kahr guide rod ?

dzldust
06-11-2011, 07:25 AM
been looking at both but what is the general concensus with you fellas?
Wolf is black and comes with springs versus the Kahr which is prettier but does not come with new springs,any reason for either besides appearance?

TucsonMTB
06-11-2011, 08:36 AM
been looking at both but what is the general concensus with you fellas?
Wolf is black and comes with springs versus the Kahr which is prettier but does not come with new springs,any reason for either besides appearance?
I believe most people like the stainless guide rod because it is "prettier", but a $5 recoil spring is a bargain and you can polish the end of the Wolff rod to look like same shiny visible end of the stainless guide rod.

I polished the end of my stock CW40 guide rod. It looks nice and has shown no signs of corrosion. YMMV ;)

Barth
06-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I’m new to Kahr and have limited gun knowledge. Not to mention being real clumsy.
So with this disclaimer here we go –

This being the MK sub forum I think it’s worth noting that my MK40 3” Micro Elite appears to have captured double recoil springs (a la Seecamp). I was saddened when I found my all stainless elite had what appears to be a plastic guide rod. Then the relatively expensive stainless steel guide rod from Kahr doesn’t come preassembled, with springs, for simple drop in replacement. The original plastic assembly doesn’t appear to disassemble and had to be cut. I used pruning shears and the assembly exploded with parts flying all over the room.Then compressing the double recoil springs with my bare hands, while trying to screw the “lock tight” slippery end cap on, was pure hell. So If you have no tools, or skill, like me, have a gunsmith do it.

As to why, It’s shinny.
Also, I think it may add about ½ ounce to the nose of the gun.

One more word of caution –
I have a Sig P220 that had become unreliable.
In talking with two gunsmiths about the problem
they both asked if I had added after market parts.
I answered yes. And they both agreed that those parts were the problem.
Going back to all stock the gun performed flawlessly.

Wolff may be fine. I don’t know.
But for me, for a self defense gun, I get the very best guns and ammo.
Also I only run factory parts (except sights, grips…).
Saving money just isn’t worth it for me.

I’m just saying.

Stay safe my friends.
(and remember that your mind is your first, best, weapon)

dzldust
06-24-2011, 07:46 PM
so when replacing the plastic guide rod with the kahr stainless,you just cut the plastic guide rod and install the springs unto the stainless one,no special procedures?

Bawanna
06-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Do a search here for Steve Bedair I think it is. He makes stainless guide rods, really nicely polished and you can get a smooth or checkered end in the front. Cheaper than Kahr and I'm not sure compared to Wolfe.
Many here have them. I have one in my K40. Now that I consider the MK is different and I'm not sure he offers one, might be worth checking.

jocko
06-25-2011, 05:21 AM
barth. the bedair guide rods are OK. He makes good stuff. That being said, u can't go wrong with factory kahr parts. Wolffs makes kahrs springs, so fear not anything from wolff's either. They have forgot more about springs than most companies ever dreamed of. Most gun companies go to them for their springs for that is their business. Polymer guide rods GIVE NO PROBLEMS....

dzldust
06-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Already spoke with him,he doesnt make them for the mk9

Barth
06-26-2011, 09:36 AM
so when replacing the plastic guide rod with the kahr stainless,you just cut the plastic guide rod and install the springs unto the stainless one,no special procedures?

Yup, double springs and a sleeve.
1) Cut the old rod "carefully - it's under pressure".
2) Unscrew the cap off the stainless guide rod.
3) Put the old springs and sleeve on the new guide rod.
4) Apply loctite to the cap.
5) Compress springs and tighten cap.
6) Reassemble gun.
7) Wait 24 hours before firing.

It does look sweet when you're done.
(Icing on the cake)

dzldust
07-03-2011, 03:30 PM
went smooth,literally a 5 minute job,thanks all

Barth
07-03-2011, 05:31 PM
went smooth,literally a 5 minute job,thanks all

SWEET!
As much as I complain, I really do love my MK40 Elite.
And am very happy with the Kahr stainless steel guide rod upgrade.

Good luck and stay safe!

austinguy23
07-08-2011, 07:21 PM
SWEET!
As much as I complain, I really do love my MK40 Elite.
And am very happy with the Kahr stainless steel guide rod upgrade.

Good luck and stay safe!

Have pics of that Elite ?

Barth
07-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Here you go...
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo02/af/9d/f452d24315bd__1310177373000.jpeg

QuercusMax
07-31-2011, 01:23 PM
I was saddened when I found my all stainless elite had what appears to be a plastic guide rod.

I, too, was very disappointed to find that Kahr would ship the MK9 Elite with a plastic guide rod. :( Maybe the normal MK9, but certainly not the Elite. I suppose there's actually nothing wrong with it, but on a pistol whose distinguishing characteristic is being crafted from stainless steel instead of plastic, it seems odd to say the least, and something that detracts from its "Elite" moniker.

I had considered replacing it with the expensive metal one sold by Kahr, but was a bit put off by their statement "May require fitting." Now due to this thread I now know what this means and how to deal with it if I should decide to go ahead. But at the moment those wood grips are looking pretty attractive, so I might go that route for spiffing up my MK9 Elite for now.

Barth
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I had considered replacing it with the expensive metal one sold by Kahr, but was a bit put off by their statement "May require fitting." But at the moment those wood grips are looking pretty attractive, so I might go that route for spiffing up my MK9 Elite for now.

Footnote:
1) My MK40 Elite stainless guide rod required no fitting.
2) I have both sets of wooden grips and use neither.
With pocket carry the wooden grips seem thicker.
Appearing to take away from it's super flat concealable profile.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo02/af/9d/f452d24315bd__1310177373000.jpeg