PDA

View Full Version : The bug has bitten me and I bit back

ivans
06-17-2011, 01:32 PM
I decided the only cure for the 1911 infection that I recently have been afflicted with was to buy one. A friend of mine had lent me a Colt Combat Elite about a month ago to try out. It is a slightly modified sweet shooting gun. The nostalgia related to this design and this being the 100 year anniversary finally got to me.

My wife and daughter both shoot it better than the Bersa 380 or my CW9. Could not hardly get the wife to put it down (those .45 lollipops are kinda expensive too).

After the attempted break in this week it was agreed that another handgun was needed. After some searching I chose the new Ruger SR1911, picked it up last night. I'll get some decent pictures and a range report will come this weekend. I need to clean and prep the new tool first.

This weekend I get to order the reloading press and dies for Fathers Day - now that we are shooting .45, .40, 9mm, .380 I need to find a way to save a few bucks (I know, wont save any money - just end up shooting more - but that's OK too)

Bawanna
06-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Anxiously await pictures and range report. I haven't been able to hold one yet but the first one I do will probably live with me forever.

I'm happy for you and jealous as all get out too.

wayneo1
06-17-2011, 02:59 PM
So far all the reports I have read on the new ruger have been positive. Hope you have same good luck with your new pistol. Go to Wally world they seem to have some of the best pricing on 45acp winchester 32 bucks for 100.
I have a subcompact S-W 1911 I just love to shoot.

ivans
06-17-2011, 03:17 PM
I hope it performs well too. the only negative I have heard is from the guy who lent me the Colt. His suggestion was to buy a more modfied gun. He prefers a 1911 with more custom level attributes, but then again he shoots $4000 race guns in competition.

I think the Colt he let me borrow had over $2K invested in it. The only observation so far on the Ruger in comparison is the slide to frame fit is not as tight as his Colt or some Springfields I looked at. Time will tell on that, I'm no expert on these and will only draw my conclusions on how it shoots.

I'll bet I could easily be persuaded to add front strap checkering - not 20 LPI, but 25 or 30.

JimBianchi
06-17-2011, 03:26 PM
A reloading press would be a cool fathers day present.

I am jealous!

wayneo1
06-17-2011, 06:00 PM
If I were you I would get the gun and have fun shooting it. Then in 6 months or so you will know if it really needs anything. My S&W is stock and it runs 100% I havent even changed the grips.

CJB
06-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Ruger+1911=match made in heaven

melissa5
06-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Go to Wally world they seem to have some of the best pricing on 45acp winchester 32 bucks for 100.

I found some Federal Champion at Wally World for $16.97 for 50 rounds. Didn't see any 100 round packs.

What kind of press are you thinking about?

ivans
06-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Going to get a Hornady LNL AP. I've been studying presses and despite my friends advice I'm going red, not blue :). I will end up building my own case and bullet feeders, just because I enjoy doing that sort of thing. I'm going to get comfortable with the press first.

Bill K
06-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Thankfully I have no need for a 1911 or for that matter any .45 ACP. I can read threads like this all day long without fear of getting "infected".

Have you been to the range yet...? Have you been to the range yet...? Have you been to the range yet...? Have you been to the range yet...? :)

Bawanna
06-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Going to get a Hornady LNL AP. I've been studying presses and despite my friends advice I'm going red, not blue :). I will end up building my own case and bullet feeders, just because I enjoy doing that sort of thing. I'm going to get comfortable with the press first.

I did alot of research and went Red, not blue also. The LNL is a great press. Real nice in all respects and fast as you want it to be. I got zero regrets getting this one.

ivans
06-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Thankfully I have no need for a 1911 or for that matter any .45 ACP. I can read threads like this all day long without fear of getting "infected".

Have you been to the range yet...? Have you been to the range yet...? Have you been to the range yet...? Have you been to the range yet...? :)

Bill,
It's rained all day - just quit. The "range" is just down the hill from the house in the side yard, unfortunately it's a muddy mess. The wife just asked if we could shoot the "new gun", I said it's too muddy - she said "walk down there and see". I think we will have to wait until tomorrow. She bought another 100 rounds of 45 ACP today - "Life is good" when you have a wife like that.

I will say this, if it rains tomorrow, we'll shoot the damn thing in the rain if we have too. It is mostly stainless after all :p Otherwise mamma won't be happy and we all know what that means.....

ivans
06-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I did alot of research and went Red, not blue also. The LNL is a great press. Real nice in all respects and fast as you want it to be. I got zero regrets getting this one.

Bawanna,
Thanks for the validation, I won't get into the red vs. blue thing as it usually degrades into a bar fight. Come to think of it, it's been a long time on the bar fight thing ......

I too have done considerable research. I'm a born tinkerer and the type to go to the shop and machine a new part to make something better. I'm certain no matter which press I chose I would not be satisfied with "out of the box" performance. I think the Horandy will do me just fine, mind is made up at this point. Part of it is just to prove to my blue buddy's I can do what they do with a red one :boink:

Dan

jlottmc
06-18-2011, 05:08 PM
You bit back huh? Sounds to me like that bug ate your lunch. On a side note, the press will be fine, and I wish I had some more disposable income, otherwise my wife would be like yours.

Bawanna
06-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Bawanna,
Thanks for the validation, I won't get into the red vs. blue thing as it usually degrades into a bar fight. Come to think of it, it's been a long time on the bar fight thing ......

I too have done considerable research. I'm a born tinkerer and the type to go to the shop and machine a new part to make something better. I'm certain no matter which press I chose I would not be satisfied with "out of the box" performance. I think the Horandy will do me just fine, mind is made up at this point. Part of it is just to prove to my blue buddy's I can do what they do with a red one :boink:

Dan

I agree on the bar fight, it's been way too long. I think I'll go seek out a small person and piss em off. Gotta be little though I didn't have lunch today.
Your Blue buddies will be impressed with your red press for sure. It's got some well thought out things in it. It took me awhile to get a handle on it, I read directions too much and the just confuse the issue. They talk about how to put something together thats already put together and hanging on the press so you gotta sort out the wheat from the chaffe.
I love the half step advance, it's just a great skookum press.
I'm not the machine a part kind of guy unless it's wood. I do try and I never missed an episode of Mcgyver so I stumble thru. The press runs out of the box darn nice once you get it dialed in which isn't tough.