PDA

View Full Version : Golf and CCW

Rainman48314
06-20-2011, 02:35 PM
I play a lot of golf and wondered what others do in regards to:

Switch from IWB to bag before teeing off on #1?

Leaving your bag unattended at the turn or restrooms?

Just play wearing it IWB?

Any issues you've run into?

Thanks

CPO15
06-20-2011, 02:46 PM
I usually play from a cart, keep the gun in the "glove-box"-like compartment covered with a hand towel and in its holster. Carry my own energy bars and pee in the woods so I'm not far from the cart. My buddies don't know about the gun.

Shotgun's got a head cover on it.

Bawanna
06-20-2011, 03:05 PM
I've never played golf in my life, consider it the playground of the devil but I really like the idea of a shotgun with a "head" cover on it. Great idea.

Know alot of guys that live for golf. My two sons play once in awhile. My first job was replacing the netting around a driving range, probably left a bad taste in my mouth as they wouldn't shut down while I worked and the stick swingers were aiming for me. A holes................................

MW surveyor
06-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Didn't you know that golfers are frustrated and aim for anything that they "think" they can hit!

Do like the one about the shot gun with the head cover. Is it marked #12?

CJB
06-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Seems to me it would be easier to ditch one of your seldom used woods, and toss a scattergun in its place in the bag. Stick one of those stupid looking club covers on the stock butt end, and it will hide in plain sight!

tconroy
06-24-2011, 07:05 AM
carrying while golfing..........really?? are you serious ???? WHY??

Denny M
06-24-2011, 07:21 AM
I can honestly say I have never felt threatened on a golf course or in the parking lot. I have been golfing for 40 years, still awful at it, and have had no problems. I have had problems in parking lots of restaurants. Just one of the many reasons I carry.

CPO15
06-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Same reason(s) I carry almost everywhere else........

jocko
06-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Same reason(s) I carry almost everywhere else........

u mean they have gators and snakes in restaurants????:p

I am just being a smart ass!!

Denny M
06-24-2011, 07:59 AM
No gators in Ohio. Most snakes are in the capital, Columbus. We aren't allowed to shoot them, yet.

Rainman48314
06-24-2011, 08:21 AM
carrying while golfing..........really?? are you serious ???? WHY??
1. You either carry always or never. You can't predetermine when there is no need. People, lots of them, carry in church.
2. Had friends attacked on a course, 4 against 2, clubs were used. One guy nearly lost an ear.
3. The only time in the last 25 years I have been threatened was on a golf course.
4. Better on my person than left to be stolen from the car.
5. Wild animals?
6. Last time I played, I won a fistfull of quarters! :)

ltxi
06-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Ref your #1...I do agree but admit to being (outside of the home and office proper) a 97%er.

MW surveyor
06-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Ref #2 and #3.....where the heck do you play golf!

CJB
06-26-2011, 09:21 AM
#6 - ok there, but what did that have to do with carrying?

wyntrout
06-26-2011, 11:08 AM
If the gun's not on your person, it's like the guy with the gun in his car console... you're not armed... unless you consider the iron/club/putter in your hand... and you could be facing your own gun... or someone in your party might happen across it and be offered the chance to do something bad or stupid or both.

JMOHO

Wynn:)

PS: When I went to test my shotgun at a range, I still had my CCW. The shotgun is unloaded until you get ready to fire it at the little skeets. :)

MERCTECH
06-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Some people take golf very serious, and sometimes get very angry at people like me that play just for fun and dont know all the rules. I have been threatened for my ignorance of the game. Someone mad swinging a golf club at you, will make you think twice about not carrying.

Dietrich
06-26-2011, 11:30 AM
I`ve seen guys come to blows on courses back when I played.It generally had to do with consumption of alcohol,gambling,someone`s mouth, or a combination of any of those reasons.I`m glad I gave it up.It had nothing to do with altercations though.I just realized that after playing for over a year,I was as lousy as I was when I first started.Nobody is good at everything so I went back to doing what I`m good at.Don`t get nowhere near as frustrated either.

wyntrout
06-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Rules!?? I played golf twice in high school... it was just a new fad then... ~1963.:D

My buddy and I had fun... he killed a chipmunk with one swing of whichever implement he had in his hand, and when necessary, we would check well for witnesses(opponents) before throwing an out-of-bound ball into a more advantageous area of the fairway. Twice was enough for me.

Wynn:D

SkeletonSlinky
06-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I was just playing golf last weekend and my PM9 was in my front pocket in my pocket holster the whole time...with no one the wiser. Didn't seem to negatively affect my swing (not that good anyway...just have to keep up with the bro-in-laws!) and was never an issue. Kept it in a dedicated pocket and all the tees, etc. in the other pocket. I'm practicing what I've read here many times..."always carry, never tell"!

ltxi
06-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Rules!?? I played golf twice in high school... it was just a new fad then... ~1963.:D

My buddy and I had fun... he killed a chipmunk with one swing of whichever implement he had in his hand, and when necessary, we would check well for witnesses(opponents) before throwing an out-of-bound ball into a more advantageous area of the fairway. Twice was enough for me.

Wynn:D

Huh....my first job was as a caddy in the late 50's. Golf didn't seem to be a new fad at all. First class course at the local country club...lots of folks with money and really neat cars. That's where I first saw a Cord and a Gullwing Mercedes.

wyntrout
06-26-2011, 09:48 PM
That's what I meant... for the well-to-do... rich and famous... or those hobnobbing with them.:D

Wynn :banplease: :)

rpc
06-27-2011, 06:12 AM
Last year by me beverage cart girl was robbed at gun point by man wearing camo! Was caught making his way back to his car by police. Golf course butts up State Park property.

ltxi
06-27-2011, 05:13 PM
That's what I meant... for the well-to-do... rich and famous... or those hobnobbing with them.:D

Wynn :banplease: :)

Yeah, good point. Back then it wasn't exactly an "everyman's" game. I don't even really remember any local public courses....although I vaguely recall there might have been one that was just considered crap. We only worked the country club courses.

jimbar
06-27-2011, 09:47 PM
I tried playing golf a few years ago, never took a lesson, and my first time out, I shot an 81,......

then they told me there were 9 more holes to play.........:o

Rainman48314
07-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Ref #2 and #3.....where the heck do you play golf!I play mostly very nice courses well outside of Detroit, however, robberies happen everywhere. Golfers carry cash for food, bets and tips. The value of my clubs exceeds $1200.

Since I carry while driving to and from the course, the only remaining question is what to do during a round. I prefer not to leave valuables in the car.

Rainman48314
07-03-2011, 09:49 PM
#6 - ok there, but what did that have to do with carrying?I wanna keep 'em!

HadEmAll
07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
I have bowled on more than one occasion carrying a subcompact in a small Tommy's Original Gunpack or Kabar gunpack. I don't know why that wouldn't work for golf. I guess your body style and/or acceptance of using gunpacks would dictate whether this would work for you.

I can see where IWB wouldn't be too good for golf.

How about ankle holsters?

Rainman48314
07-13-2011, 11:31 AM
I have bowled on more than one occasion carrying a subcompact in a small Tommy's Original Gunpack or Kabar gunpack. I don't know why that wouldn't work for golf. I guess your body style and/or acceptance of using gunpacks would dictate whether this would work for you.

I can see where IWB wouldn't be too good for golf.

How about ankle holsters?My Sig P238 .380 in a pocket holster works well. I can sneak it into my golf pag when I'm away from ther crowds. I replace it in my pocket on the last tee.

Navyguns
08-31-2011, 12:11 AM
I would just leave it in a quickly accessible pocket in your golf bag.

yqtszhj
08-31-2011, 10:20 AM
I've played golf twice. The next time I play I'm going to play with one of these:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR225-7.html

Laetus1
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
We've had folks robbed on the golf course here before. One of the nice courses in town is also in an old neighborhood that has a lot of crime. I can palm my pocket-holstered gun (CM9 or HKP2kSK) from my pocket to/from an easy-open pocket on my bag before a round, at the turn when I head in for refreshment, and at the end of the round. Each transfer happens in a few seconds and no one is the wiser.

tv_racin_fan
09-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Haven't been on a golf course in some time.. I'll have either a Ruger SP101 or a Kahr K9 in my pocket the next time I hit the course. I do not intend to leave it in the car or in the bag, I will however have spare ammo in the bag.

wyntrout
09-03-2011, 11:43 PM
I always thought golf could be more fun if you could use something besides the "clubs"... small artillery pieces built for the purpose. The rifle attachment isn't precise enough.

I saw a quick clip on the news where Tiger was teeing off or driving and only had about a ten foot window where there weren't idiots pressing up as close as possible! A golf ball to the face or even your torso can't be fun. :eek: Are they trying to "win the lottery"... liability-wise?? I don't see how anyone can play like that!:rolleyes:

Wynn:)

gundawg
09-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I love golf, but never in my life have i seen anything on the golf course that would require me to carry. I store mine locked away in the car, and go out and enjoy, or hate on some golf.

tv_racin_fan
09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Require to carry? Aint seen anything that requires me to carry anywhere.. I do however choose to carry and will indeed carry the next time I am on the golf course.

Ressom
09-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I love golf, but never in my life have i seen anything on the golf course that would require me to carry. I store mine locked away in the car, and go out and enjoy, or hate on some golf.

How do you fight off the allegators that bite your hand off and then you have to get a wooden hand that gets knocked off your arm and run over by a roller? :confused:

gundawg
09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Require to carry? Aint seen anything that requires me to carry anywhere.. I do however choose to carry and will indeed carry the next time I am on the golf course.

Well see we differ there, i have seen plenty in the world that requires me to carry everywhere that it's legal. Just being on a golf course, the carts are not made in such a way i think you can store your gun in a responsible manner. As far as having my CM9 in my pocket, or my MP9c IWB while playing, no thanks, just my choice.

ltxi
09-20-2011, 07:19 PM
The only time I've ever been caught short was because I didn't bother because I was in what I considered a safe environment. Fortunately, I wasn't the target.

CJB
09-20-2011, 07:29 PM

Westview CC Miami Fl for one.....

TucsonMTB
09-20-2011, 07:49 PM
I've played golf twice. The next time I play I'm going to play with one of these:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR225-7.html
http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/ARR-225.jpg
Now, that is what golf ought to be. Good one, Mr. Yqtszhj! :D

tv_racin_fan
09-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Well see we differ there, i have seen plenty in the world that requires me to carry everywhere that it's legal. Just being on a golf course, the carts are not made in such a way i think you can store your gun in a responsible manner. As far as having my CM9 in my pocket, or my MP9c IWB while playing, no thanks, just my choice.

You do indeed have your choice, as do I. Seems to me that all those things you see can also happen on the golf course at any time.

If I can't break 100 with my handgun on me I'll just have to be happy with a 102... or not play at all.