PDA

View Full Version : TP45 accuracy?

MichSteve
06-22-2011, 03:45 PM
I am looking to purchase a 45acp, I am torn between a 1911 and a Kahr TP45 or P45, I want to know if the Kahr's are as accurate as a standard 1911?

Plus for the Kahr: easier to carry, no safety, am use to my PM9.

What are your thoughts?

ripley16
06-22-2011, 05:00 PM
I was no more accurate with my P45 and TP45 than I was with any other Kahr. What small difference in accuracy you may lose is offset by the Kahr simplicity and light weight factors IMHO. I do not however find the Kahr 45 as pleasant to shoot as other, larger 45s, even other polymer guns. You will feel some recoil with the little 20 oz. Kahr 45.

jocko
06-22-2011, 06:15 PM
I am looking to purchase a 45acp, I am torn between a 1911 and a Kahr TP45 or P45, I want to know if the Kahr's are as accurate as a standard 1911?

Plus for the Kahr: easier to carry, no safety, am use to my PM9.

What are your thoughts?

different guns.. one is single action, other a looooong trigger pull, ur gonna shoot a 1911 better, or at least you should shoot it better..

when you have a 1911 that ly requires a slight touch of the trigger tomake it go bang and a kahr which requires a full 3/8" trigger travel befor ethe bang thing happens, which one do you think your gonna be more accurate with..

OldLincoln
06-22-2011, 08:05 PM
I was much more accurate with my Dad's Colt than my PM9. Many years ago I shot a tin car over 150 yards out in first shot. Today I don't do nearly as well with the PM9 at 25 yards. Lordy I miss those young eyes!

Barth
07-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I have to agree with whoever said different guns/triggers.
Plus what are you planning to use the gun for?
Target practice, self defense, concealed carry?

I've said it before, and paid not following my own advise, but
the biggest factor in accuracy is you. I try to never buy a handgun without
"kicking the tires and lighting the fires" first. Rent, or borrow, the guns you're interested in. You will answer your own question. I have personally shot some very accurate handguns poorly. I think it's ergonomics, sights, triggers and me.

Also, single action tends to be more accurate for many people.
But "locked and cocked" isn't for everyone in concealed carry.
Plus it limits how you can carry as well.

I'm just saying....

GOOFA
07-06-2011, 03:18 AM
I found my TP45 to be more accurate than I expected it to be. I find it to be the easiest to shoot among the polymer Kahrs and the most accurate of any of my Kahrs. The TP45 defintely was a sleeper.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5089/5354829403_abf6316a8d_d.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5210/5354821189_767025715b_d.jpg

kahrcrazy13
01-24-2012, 01:02 PM
tp45 very acurate my new fave gun just picked one up 2 months ago great gun if your looking to use as range gun get rubber grips! no safty u dont need one because long trigger pull kahr is a ccw which another reasion why there is no safty in a fire fight u don't want to get caught on the draw with the safty on or forgeting to take off safty when u need it in a rush! great 45 the tp the pm is a little bit smaller they perform the same i beleave the tp is 4 inc and pm is 3.5 but for that extra lil 3.5 your going to pay 200 more just up to you if your looking for something for range go with the tp 45 and get them rubber grips u slide over the texture grips will save your hand from getting tore up ! also a 1911 is really complacated to break down and clean mostly all 1911 are if your a beginer i suggest you het your 1911 cleaned by a gun smith untill u get familure with it !

MikeyKahr
01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Could this be a new jocko? The TP series has been getting a lot of love lately.

Sent using Tapatalk

kerby9mm
01-24-2012, 07:33 PM
The 1911 has one more part than a Kahr to break down for field stripping/cleaning. The barrel bushing (5inch gun) which simply twists clockwise to remove recoil spring then counterclockwise to take it out. If someone shows you once no problem.

kahrcrazy13
01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
The 1911 has one more part than a Kahr to break down for field stripping/cleaning. The barrel bushing (5inch gun) which simply twists clockwise to remove recoil spring then counterclockwise to take it out. If someone shows you once no problem.

very true i own a kimber 1911 and a colt but after shooting my new tp 45 im in love with it and plan on selling my two 1911 and buying another kahr i love my tp45 to me i think its alot more acurate then my kimber and colt 1911 but that's just me! i prefere the longer trigger pull on my tp then the lil touchy tap on my kimber and colt 1911 my berretta 92fs trigger is the same its like butter i just like the longer trigger pull simular to a revolve to me gives me more time to make sure im aimed on target before it fires !

VN Vet
11-24-2013, 12:54 PM
I took my PT45 and my Colt Gold Cup to the Range a few weeks ago. Each pistol shot pretty much the same using the same ammo and the same seven yard range. Each pistol has about the same amount of rounds down the pipe as well.

While I consider my Gold Cup a step or two above most 1911s, I'd say my TP45 will shoot better than the average 1911. I say this and I'm actually a Glock Shooter. Go figure.

CJB
11-24-2013, 05:24 PM
The mechanical accuracy from out of the box 1911's varies quite a bit. Potentially, the 1911 has an edge on the mechical accuracy, when tightened up. Out of the box, I'd had pure mechanics to any Kahr, as all three of mine have very close fit barrels.

On the other hand, we don't shoot from Ransom Rests. The 1911 trigger can be tuned to about three pounds, and break very crisply. Kahr has a long double action type trigger. The practical accuracy would probably to the 1911... but those triggers vary quite a bit too.

If this is a carry pistol, your choice really depends on how you mean to carry the pistol. I personally like a very safe, chamber loaded Kahr PM45 over any of my 1911's for deep concealment. Thats me, my way. Your way may vary.

I spent all weekend with a PM45 in my pocket. I drove 900 miles, loaded and unloaded trucks, socialized with my best friend, went to dinner...and bs'd till 3am, all with the comfort of a PM45 in my front jeans pocket. Again, just me. But I can't do that with the 1911's.

MuscleDude
11-28-2013, 11:01 AM
1911s are slower to action, more complex (safety) and less comfortable to carry. Plus they seem in general to be less reliable than Kahrs.

The 1911 is a fine match pistol, and it was an amazing design..... for 102 years ago...

I got the same accuracy with a TP45 as I got with my friends Taurus 1911 (about 5 inches at 25 yards)

Yea the trigger is shorter on the 1911, but while a 1911 owner is fidgeting with his safety getting it ready your already sending rounds down range with your quick-draw double-action Kahr!

The kahr double action is so smooth and light, I love it.

hardluk1
11-28-2013, 04:02 PM
I think if you want a bullseye or match fun gun get the 1911.

If you want a pistol that still defense accurate and lite enough to carry all day everyday and in almost any condition and if you find you need a smaller version get anotheras a pocket pistol or bug . Same trigger with the smaller cm pm as on the largest tp or t .

jocko
11-28-2013, 04:41 PM
1911s are slower to action, more complex (safety) and less comfortable to carry. Plus they seem in general to be less reliable than Kahrs.

The 1911 is a fine match pistol, and it was an amazing design..... for 102 years ago...

I got the same accuracy with a TP45 as I got with my friends Taurus 1911 (about 5 inches at 25 yards)

Yea the trigger is shorter on the 1911, but while a 1911 owner is fidgeting with his safety getting it ready your already sending rounds down range with your quick-draw double-action Kahr!

The kahr double action is so smooth and light, I love it.

by the way do u know where the term FOKK EWE started???? Justs sayin

if the colonel read this,, he would sh!t. Just sayin:Amflag2: course he was born 102 years ago to.:blah::blah:

Barth
12-14-2013, 06:29 AM
There can be a huge difference in mechanical accuracy vs free hand shooting.
Most quality guns in a ransom rest will out shoot most of us with any gun.
Triggers, sights, grip angle and other ergonomics play a big role in accuracy for actual people shooting a firearm.

As for quality with 1911s
IMHO there's huge tracks of land you could plant and grow crops on between them.

It's hard to beat a quality tuned 1911 for free hand accuracy.

b4uqzme
01-09-2014, 01:18 AM
I re-read these posts and this is my takeaway: the average TP or 1911 is more accurate than the average freehand shooter. That's good. That means the shooter can consider the other features and intended use, when buying her/ his new weapon, without having to be concerned with accuracy.

Wonder what OP got and if he's happy with his choice?

berettabone
01-09-2014, 10:19 AM
" It's all in the shooter".

Pointblank
03-21-2014, 05:33 AM
I love my Colt 1911s and shoot them very well, but they are like carrying around a boat anchor. The TP45 is a lot more practical.

hardluk1
04-10-2014, 04:42 AM
If you want a easy to shoot bullseye pistol , buy the high quality 1911 if you want and accurate, lite, easy to shoot CC pistol buy the kahr tp series

b4uqzme
04-10-2014, 05:06 AM
Could this be a new jocko?

Sent using Tapatalk

:eek::D

muggsy
04-10-2014, 05:47 AM
The question isn't is one more accurate that the other. The question is will you be more accurate with one or the other. The guns are equally accurate in the hands of the right shooter. If you are looking for a carry gun go with the Kahr. If your looking strictly for target accuracy get a 1911.

pbagley
04-11-2014, 09:23 PM
A well tuned 1911 will shoot better than a Kahr, assuming both are .45ACP. The well tuned 1911 will cost 2 to 3 times the price of the Kahr.

Last weekend I was able to shoot mid to upper 90's at 25 yards (standard 25 yard repair center) with my highly tuned 1911, one hand free. I can shoot low to mid 90's using the same target/same distance and two hand hold with my CW45. I think both guns are capable of 10X's at this distance from a ransom rest. They are just different tools for different jobs.

CJB
04-12-2014, 12:00 AM
Your question leaves lots of "ifs"

The reason is... 1911s are all over the place with accuracy.

A TP45 will never shoot like a well fit, highly tuned bullseye .45

On the other hand... a really looseygoosey .45 will probably be no better, and maybe worse, than a TP45

For the most part, a well fit 1911 will outshoot the TP45 in practical terms, due to its superior trigger, even if the TP45 has better (or at least equal to) mechanical accuracy.

There's more to accuracy than just one model or the other.....

~~~

If you want accurate, get a decent Springfield, and put a decent barrel into it - like a BarSto. Springfield is ok, but their barrels are not the greatest.

OTOH, I've been Jones'n for a TP45 or a CT45 (due to the traditional rifling).

hardluk1
04-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Does it really matter?? If you want to hump a lard butt of a pistol for your CC handgun then buy a 1911 to carry. Is the average 1911 more accurate. A little bit on average but your going to have to pay for it one way or the other to get that. Now if you want to haul a 3000 dollar semi custom around it shpu;d be a more accurate pistol. Does not mean the shooter is that good. But he owns a Purdy pistol.

Just don't expect the average good ole boy with a revolver he know really well and hunts with to be impressed buy the accuracy for that 3000 dollar pistol as his revolver has a mechanical accuracy of 1/2" at 25 yards and he's shooting 3 to 4" 100 yard groups .

So does it really matter ?? In a rush to defend your live your not going care if what you have is a 3000 dollar 1911 or a 360 dollar kahr ct series. The one that can print a nice group center of mass quickest is what you hope to do. right ??

gene62
04-12-2014, 10:01 AM
As far as accuracy, my p45 at 21' left one big jagged hole, using Winchester white box 230 fmj. I did have a few flyers, but I really believe that was me, not the pistol.
For a gun designed as a light weight carry gun, it is way more accurate than I expected.