PDA

View Full Version : Striker Question for a P9

MLG
12-19-2009, 07:44 PM
I have a P9 that seems to have a bit of a striker problem. I purchased the P9 used and it seems that maybe 3-5 rounds out of a box of 100 WWB will not fire. Looking at the cartridge shows a fairly decent depression into the primer, if I reload the cartridge it fires fine.

At first I thought maybe it was related to the batch of ammo but it's not. I use the same ammo in my PM9 and SIG 228 without issue.

Tonight I was feeding some Winchester Ranger Talons through and had the first round fail to fire, the primer was dented and when I reloaded it, the round fired fine.

Just thinking I might need to send this in for Kahr to have a look.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dietrich
12-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Hang on MLG and let some of the more knowledgeable people here weigh in on your problem.To me,it sounds like something that the Kahr service dept. needs to look at but some of the people here may have a tip or two that will save you some trouble.Welcome to the forum,by the way.:yo:

ripley16
12-20-2009, 05:39 AM
A light strike can only be caused by a few things;

* Spring ...wrong spring, worn out, or not enough force.

* Breech face wall too thick, not allowing the striker point to protrude enough.

* A striker out of spec and made too short to protrude far enough.

* Hard primer.

One or more of these conditions exist in a gun that delivers light strikes. The Kahr design and in particular the CW seem to be susceptable to light strikes, based on the number of complaints I see on several forums.

The Kahr design seems to leave little room for error or over-engineering in this regard. The tolerances for reliable striker operation IMHO seem to be too narrow, especially in a pistol with no re-strike capability.

You'll probably need Kahr CS to address the problem.

500KV
12-20-2009, 06:41 AM
I have a P9 that seems to have a bit of a striker problem. I purchased the P9 used and it seems that maybe 3-5 rounds out of a box of 100 WWB will not fire. Looking at the cartridge shows a fairly decent depression into the primer, if I reload the cartridge it fires fine.

At first I thought maybe it was related to the batch of ammo but it's not. I use the same ammo in my PM9 and SIG 228 without issue.

Tonight I was feeding some Winchester Ranger Talons through and had the first round fail to fire, the primer was dented and when I reloaded it, the round fired fine.

Just thinking I might need to send this in for Kahr to have a look.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Had the identical problem with my CW45, called Kahr and had them send me a new striker and spring..problem solved.
You should also clean the striker channel. You'll probably find some brass shavings in there.
I've started cleaning mine every time I shoot the gun.
It's something to try and may save a trip back to Kahr.
Good luck.

MLG
12-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a closer look at the striker and maybe see if Kahr will send me a replacement striker and spring.

I'll post m results.

Thanks again!

jocko
12-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a closer look at the striker and maybe see if Kahr will send me a replacement striker and spring.

I'll post m results.

Thanks again!

what 500KV stated is the first thing to do.. call kahr and get a new striker spirng. I seriously doubt if the stiker itself is bad but ask if they will send you a new striker also. that way you will know you did all things right. There should be a sticky on this forum on how to take down that upper slide. It is a no brainer if you do how it is explained, be awful careful you don't lose any little springs and that striker rod in the back wants to go flying alot also when disasembling. Be in a very sterile area so that you can find those flying parts.

When you ave that striker channel apart, give it a good cleaning with any spray cleaner. It might also be gummed up in that area. do not oil the striker channel. leave it dry. If the new spring and striker does not cure the issue, then IMO you have an out of spec trigger bar and it will need to go back, You cannot install the trigger bar.

My bet a new striker spring and striker will get you going. Also make sure you are releasing up on the trigger also to allow it to reset. If not u will get light strikes and that is shooter error, not gun issues.

keep us informed..

MLG
12-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Well, I'm not sure the problem is resolved but I did strip the upper and found the firing pin and channel totally saturated with lube. I didn't see much brass particulate.

I ran a pipe cleaner though the stricker hole and sprayed everything down with brake cleaner to get the gunk out of the channel.

The parts themselves looked fine. Hard to tell about the springs but they looked okay (ie: not deformed or streched etc.)

I thouroughly cleaned the ejector and reassembled the upper.

Cleaned and lubed the upper and lower as indicated on the lube drwg.

When I got everything back together, I ran snap caps through it and the feed and ejector all seemed to work as they should.

I'll take her to the range in the next day or so and put a few undred rounds through it and see if things are better.

Question: Is the stainless Steel Guide Rod worth the investment? I had an XD and the Stainless Guide Rod imroved some recoil because it was heavier and solid but not sure of the benefit with the Kahrs.

Thanks again everyone!

Max

jocko
12-21-2009, 06:23 AM
MLG keep us informed. If what you did , does not sove the issue. call kahr, and ask for IAN and explain the issue and tell him what you have already done to help it. He will tell you to send it back, then you ask him to send a prepaid pick up on the gun. they will do that if you ask them, You should not be dime, do not tell them it is used, they will not ask either.

Now being it is used, you could ask for a new striker spring to test it out, as really we don't know if the prievious owner cliped a few coils off the spring or not. they will send u a new striker spring and striker, if u ask for it, then if all else fails, it will need to go back and u can do the above with IAN.

cleaning out the striker channel was a good thing andif that solves the issue, from now on just use that little clean out hole in the bottom of the slide and put the spray nozzle in that hole and it will do what you did by taking it all apart.