PDA

View Full Version : New MK9 - Prep Report

SuperGlide
07-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Last week I took delivery of my new MK9 (Yay!) and proceeded to prep per the sticky in the KahrTech section. After completing the disassembly (easy) and cleaning with non-chlorinated brake cleaner from NAPA, I lubed per the lube diagram. After reassembly (again, no problems) I began to rack the slide. Now, I'm not the weakest guy around, but after about 50 racks my hands began to ache and cramp. Compared to other autos I've racked the MK9 slide spring seemed awfully stiff. I said to myself, "There has to be a better way to rack this thing 500 times before going to the range." I went to my garage work bench and came up with a much easier method to rack the slide. Using my bench vice and a piece of 5/8" vinyl tubing (you could use leather, rubber, wood or any soft material) I clamped the slide in the vice like so:

http://kahrtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=68&pictureid=461

http://kahrtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=68&pictureid=462

http://kahrtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=68&pictureid=463
Sorry for the blurry pic.

Now all I had to do was stand next to the vice and push down 450 more times. I had to steady the muzzle end with my other hand so it would not rotate in the vice, but after about 10 minutes I finished the 500 reps. Man, this was SO MUCH EASIER than racking by hand. Now all that's left is to go to the range and run a couple hundred rounds through her (report pending).

Bawanna
07-05-2011, 10:30 AM
That was a fine idea. We'll look forward to a really good range report.

Try to spread the shots around a little bit, some of the fellas get pretty jealous and upset if you put em all in one tiny little spot.

Mk's are sure a nice looking gun and I think your just gonna love it.

jocko
07-05-2011, 11:05 AM
it is not mandatory to rack the slide 500 times or 200 times. that is ur choice. Ihave found it just helps break in without the bang thing.

wayneo1
07-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Good luck with your new MK9, I have one that is turning out to be one heck of gun. Wait till you shoot it if you havent had the pleasure. Its accurate, soft recoil, and did I say accurate. Have fun and let us know how the range thing went.

SuperGlide
07-30-2011, 09:30 PM
I finally made it to the range and put 200 rounds of UMC SJHP 125gr down range. After receiving my MK9 I completed the recommended new gun prep. I am very pleased to report that I had ZERO problems with the MK9, i.e., no failures to feed or eject – not one glitch. Wow, what a gun. I love it. Although I was shooting a little low at 7 yards, I noticed that my accuracy improved the faster I shot. All in all, a sweet day at the range. I expect to receive my SC CWP next week after a 3-month wait (those government bureaucrats will do anything to impede our 2nd Amendment rights) Here's a pic of my beauty after installing Kahr grips:

wayneo1
07-31-2011, 06:59 AM
That is great, yet not surprised news good luck with your MK9. How do you like those grips.