PDA

View Full Version : Carry Ammo for TP45

vincent1966
07-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've broken in my TP45 w/200 rnds and am now looking to carry it. I stopped by an Academy today and asked to see two hollow-point types of ammo: Winchester and Hornady. I liked the Hornady better and it had was a couple of dollars cheaper. Here is the thing: Both had steel casings. I tried to call Kahr and ask if it was OK to use steel casings for personal protection but was on hold for one thousand years. :) So I will ask my TP45 family. Can I get steel cased hollow-points and use them for personal protection?

Thanks,

Vincent1966

k9gus
08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Are you sure they were steel? Hornandy does use a steel casing with a polymer coat on their steel match ammunition but I've used their Critical Defense ammo with a lot of success. The rounds feed, fire, and eject perfectly. Performance on injured animals is terrific.

wyntrout
08-07-2011, 08:07 PM
If they are silver colored, it's nickel plating to make them slicker for feeding and to prevent corrosion... superior to plain brass. I KNOW the Critical Defense is nickel-plated and most Winchester defense ammo is as well.

Check with a magnet if your still worried, but usually just the cheap Russian and East European stuff is steel-cased.

Wynn:)

GOOFA
08-08-2011, 03:42 AM
I have been using Winchester Ranger T 230gr JHP RA45T or Federal HST 230gr JHP LE45T1

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5210/5354821189_767025715b_d.jpg

TheTman
08-08-2011, 10:22 AM
I've heard the Hydra-shok (HST) will open up at lower velocities and is very suitable for the shorter barrels on the Kahrs and other shorter barrel .45's. Just what I've heard. The guy that sold my friend his 3.5" Kimber said that 185gr ammo would expand more reliably from shorter barrels cause they get moving faster than the 230 gr and will have a higher FPS out of a short barrel than the 230 gr. Again that's just something I heard. When I get back out on the farm I'll try some shoot into some wet newspaper and compare some loads.

Barth
08-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I've heard the Hydra-shok (HST) will open up at lower velocities and is very suitable for the shorter barrels on the Kahrs and other shorter barrel .45's. Just what I've heard. The guy that sold my friend his 3.5" Kimber said that 185gr ammo would expand more reliably from shorter barrels cause they get moving faster than the 230 gr and will have a higher FPS out of a short barrel than the 230 gr. Again that's just something I heard. When I get back out on the farm I'll try some shoot into some wet newspaper and compare some loads.

Request you add -Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection - 45 Auto 230 gr
to the test - http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=23975

May have no relevance.
And I’ve wondered about optimum weight for short barrel ammo too (MK40).
But Speer's limited Short Barrel line seems to generally run only the
heavier bullets for 45/40 being the 230 and 180 grain variety??

OldLincoln
08-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Since you are shooting a Kahr, I suggest the HST +P 230gn. It only adds a little velocity but is the same price from most places and the gun is built for it. Besides, once proven you won;t be shooting a lot of it.

I checked my normal supplier Kyle's Gun Shop (http://www.kylesgunshop.com/) who had it 3 or 4 days ago but not today and same for other normal sources. Although I bit the bullet about a year ago and got what should be a lifetime supply. This during the time ammo was hard to come by and I believe it may revert to that in the coming months as the depression settles in.

Mr. S
08-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I've heard the Hydra-shok (HST) will open up at lower velocities and is very suitable for the shorter barrels on the Kahrs and other shorter barrel .45's.

Hydra-shok and HST are not the same thing.

Barth
08-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Hydra-shok and HST are not the same thing.

Yup. Yup.
I've stopped correcting people.

OldLincoln
08-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah, if I remember correctly, HST is the lastest generation of Hydra-shok standing for Hydra Shok Technology. It doesn't have the center post (which may clog penetrating clothing) of Hydra-Shok and the copper shell is slit longer for fuller expansion at lower speed.

It is a TERRIFIC defense round!

HigherPeace
09-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Brass-Cassed, American-made, Factory new... hope this helps!

Barth
10-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Can't go wrong with 230 grain -
Winchester Ranger T-Series
or
Federal HST

My current personal choice for my Sig Sauer P220 -
"The T Virus - LOL"

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/P220ammo_files/image022.jpg