PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for PM9 loads

Jitterbug
07-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi Guys

I've got two hungry PM9's to feed and decided to come over and see if I could find any recommended 9mm plinking loads and 9mm reloading tips in general.

I've done a bit of reloading off and on over the years, mostly .38/.357. 44 Mag, .45acp, .40/10mm and some rifle, but I'm new to 9mm.

Right now I have about 150+ Winchester 124 FMJ's on hand and I'm looking for a good, inexpensive plinking bullet, D.P, Roze and Montana Gold all sound good, although I'm a bit hesitate to swing for a 1000 bullets to try out up front.

I've got a S&W M&P9c, too and would like to develop a plinker for all three if at all possible.

The PM9's are a 2004 serial #VB model and a brand new current issue.

Thanks...

Tilos
07-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Jitterbug:
That's a loaded question right there.
I've loaded 115 and 124 FMJ from Precision Delta.
I had better results with the 124s hitting point of aim out of a fixed sight gun (PM9).
I've had to tune loads to get the elevation point of impact to the point of aim.
To get this, the loads where not plinking/puff type stuff, but closer to the feel of factory loads.
Sorry to say I don't have a crono but the powder was one of the faster burning, with a charge mid to high in the load range.
Tilos

Jitterbug
07-08-2011, 06:36 AM
I'm going to run a batch of AA7, AA5 and Titegroup for starters, all will be mild start loads, with some mixed, 1 time fired factory brass.

Hornady recommends a COL of 1.150" for their FMJ, so I'll probably start there too.

Precision Delta is tempting with their prices...but I hate to purchase a 1000 of anything before trying it out.

I'd probably go the 124 route, I'm not concerned about POI, I zero for the CCW load and for practice I shoot for groups or adjust with Kentucky windage when necessary.

Tilos
07-08-2011, 08:04 AM
I don't like to post load data but I know I never used any of the powders you mentioned.
To get the pm9 and cw9 shooting to my liking I used bothW231/HP-38 and Bullseye (that's BE for Mr.B).
I suggest you use the gun barrel, removed from the gun, to determine the OAL as it will be unique to you gun/bullet combo.
In fact if you drop a bullet into the barrel, push a fired case over it, and then carefully remove it, that will be the max OAL for that barrel/bullet.
You can then pinch the bullet/case junction and measure the OAL with a caliper.
Tilos

OldLincoln
07-10-2011, 10:16 AM
For range shooting (the only kind I do), I use 115gn plated bullets and charge with 4.5gn of W231. According to my data, that's smack in the middle between starting and max load.

Jitterbug
07-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks guys

231 seems to be popular, I may have to give that a try.

Tilos
07-11-2011, 08:43 AM
JitterBug:
I guess I should have asked earlier but I assumed you already had the powders you mentioned.
OL is spot on with his load data and a trusted member of the reloading people here.
Let us know how it goes,
Tilos

Jitterbug
07-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Yep, I have the three listed powders and I'm in the middle of completing a simple workup with start loads of AA5, AA7 and Titegroup, but I doubt if I'll get a chance to try them out before next weekend.

I tried an AA7 start load with the Winchester 124 FMJ at 1.150" previously in the S&W 9c, with less then stellar 25 yard, accuracy results, but I'm going to give it another shot anyway.

After cross referencing, I used a 124 FMJ load from the Hornady 7th, which recommends AA7 as one of the best 9mm powders???

If I can get a half way decent, inexpensive, safe reliable load for 3-15 yard off hand plinking with all three pistols, this is my ultimate goal.

My wife is a relatively new shooter and I want her to get a couple thousands rounds shooting pistol in the next 12 months under her belt at this range.

Not that I don't need the practice....ha, ha.

In the meantime I've been searching some favorite reloading sites, and googling "favorite 9mm powder" and 231 seems to have a very strong following as does Power Pistol.

I reload for 38 Special, .45acp, 10mm and .44 Mag too, so any powders that have a "dual caliber" usage will probably get most of my attention.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do on bullets, Midway has the Remington 124 FMJ at a somewhat resonable price, so I may try a couple hundred of those. I measured the 124 Winchester FMJ, there is quite a bit of variance in bullet length, something like 12-14 thousands. Which may or may not have something to do with the poor performance of the one and only load I've tried with them.

In the meantime I'll be looking into a bulk 124/125 fmj, for plinking and range use for the three pistols.

I hate to purchase a 1000 at a whack, but...I haven't read anything bad re: P.D. Roze or Montana Gold, so...I'm assuming one is about good as another.

I really haven't checked into nor ever used the plated bullets, like Rainer, but maybe I should?

thumbs
08-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I have just gone through the same thing. OAL made a difference and amount of powder. I am using 231 and found a lite load would not cycle in my cm9. I added .3 grains and it's been fine. I do think I have a pretty stiff spring in the pistol through.

Jitterbug
08-08-2011, 07:30 AM
The 1.150" COL with a Winchester 124 FMJ is working fine in all three pistols, 2-PM9's and a S&W M&P9c.

I tested the 3 loads I mentioned above and in all three pistols the winner is the Titegroup load it lives up to it's name, with AA#5 a very close second.

I'm using start load data from the Lyman 49th and the Hornady 4th, these loads cycled all three pistols fine.

The AA5 load fills the case a little better and for those who dislike Titegroup due to it not filling the case the AA5 is the better choice in this regard. I use a single stage press and I'm pretty anal about checking and double checking before seating so I'm comfortable with it.

The AA#7 load wasn't bad, although I noticed it had a sharper recoil impulse and the other two powders doing better in all three pistols.

Nothing wrong with the Winchester 124 FMJ's, apparently the M&P just didn't like that AA7 load, I'm sometimes amazed at how powder alone can effect accuracy, but that bullet did just fine with Titegroup or AA#5.

I just picked up some Unique and 231 for a new .44 Magnum and will no doubt test some of it in 9mm as well, just for giggles.

My plan at this point is to go forward with a 1000 lot of 124 FMJ's and do a run of the AA#5 and Titegroup load, then work on some more 10 shot groups in all three pistols and pick a final winner...unless the Unique or 231 sways me.

I'm running about 3.5" at 7 yards with the Kahrs, which is good enough for me for a pocket pistol.

My first 9mm/Kahr reload was a very mild AA#7 and Hornady 115 FMJ, it was from the Hornady 7th a start load @ 1.10".

This load cycled and shot very nicely in my older Kahr PM9, but would not cycle the M&P. The wife finished off the final 11 rounds of that load yesterday in her new Kahr PM9 and it would not cycle that gun either...stiffer recoil spring...although it was good for her to practice clearing jams. I'm sure another couple tenths of AA7 and it would have been a fine load.

Rubb
08-08-2011, 08:21 PM
124gr. Berrys plated RNDS over 4gr. Red Dot @ 1.15" have been 100% for me.