PDA

View Full Version : Home Invasions ?

500KV
12-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Are you guys/gals seeing more of these home invasions in your area?
Seems like they have become much more commonplace here recently.
The latest one here, as indicated below, had a good outcome, not perfect but good.

Home Invader Shot, In Serious Condition

A man is in serious condition after being shot during a home invasion.

It happened at 6207 Stockton Drive.

The homeowner, Marcus Grier told police he came home to find two armed suspects who demanded money.

Grier says he fired at the men and shot at least one of them.

Leon McKinney later showed up at Erlanger suffering from several gunshots to the chest and legs.

Police are still looking for the second suspect.

deadhead1971
12-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes.

Stick some of these around the perimeter

BCS-1M - Embossed Metal Castle Law Enforced Here Yard Sign [BCS-1M] - $14.95 : Ready to Defend (http://readytodefend.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41)

https://www.readytodefend.com/index.php?main_page=products_new&zenid=de13e961ccc399929cbe08121ecae827

twogunjay
12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah....as a LEO we are seeing an increase of these in our area along with other violent crimes.

twogunjay
12-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Yes.

Stick some of these around the perimeter

BCS-1M - Embossed Metal Castle Law Enforced Here Yard Sign [BCS-1M] - $14.95 : Ready to Defend (http://readytodefend.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41)

https://www.readytodefend.com/index.php?main_page=products_new&zenid=de13e961ccc399929cbe08121ecae827

Great Signs !

medezyner
12-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Three months ago in a quiet NH town, 4 teens randomly broke into a ranch house, hacked & stabbed a mother and then turned their weapons on the 11 year old daughter. The mother died and the daughter survived. I couldn’t believe how much this enraged me and how much it still does when I think about it. How friggin sick & evil people can be. Oh, let’s see how the cranks over at Brady Campaign spin this type of violent crime when no gun is involved. Oh man, now I’m gonna have an ugly attitude all day today!

500KV
12-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Oh man, now I’m gonna have an ugly attitude all day today!
Hey medezyner..Didn't intend to bring back those disturbing thoughts, although I've had them as well.

It just makes me more determined to stay in code yellow mode and hope for things to improve..Probably have a long wait though won't I? Or until it starts to affect the Brady bunch directly.
I refuse to let those kind of perps influence my daily enjoyments however.;)

medezyner
12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm ok now.
It's been this way since the beginning of time so it's not going to change any time too soon. Youre right on the money 500KV: stay in code yellow & teach others to do the same. In martial arts (pistol & hand-to-hand) so much of your training is focus on situational awareness and how to respond to it.
I gotta lighten up!

Raoul
12-21-2009, 05:16 PM
We do seem to have more home invasions in the news here in NE TN. Usually if you stay away from your relatives you'll be OK. lol. But seriously, I do think these incidents and theft are on the rise. That's why my Sig with night sights and shotty are close by. Oh, and my dogs.

ltxi
12-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes.

And 90% of them seem to involve Black people.

Well now, that was special!

fngrobert
02-25-2010, 03:16 AM
Yes.

And 90% of them seem to involve Black people.
:53:GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!:59:
Am I detecting some misplaced anger?

Natron
02-25-2010, 05:36 AM
I have seen a few in my town. Most seem to be out in the less populated areas or more secluded homes.

I live in a gated community where many ofus neighbors look out for each other at all times. I am not saying something could not hppen, but I believe it to be less likely.

Because of the home invasions, I constantly tell my kids to keep the doors locked at ll times and if they are done playing outside shut the garage door so a would be invader does not hae easy access.

I carry most of the time, even when I am home.

Natron

In-Yo-Grill
02-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Yes sir...we are seeing more and more home invasions. Some even in broad daylight. It's what motivated me to go ahead and get my CHL and to be better prepared in the house. We don't leave the front door unlocked and no one answers the door if they don't know who it is first. Situational awareness...

Vinikahr
02-25-2010, 06:04 AM
I have seen a few in my town. Most seem to be out in the less populated areas or more secluded homes.

I live in a gated community where many ofus neighbors look out for each other at all times. I am not saying something could not hppen, but I believe it to be less likely.

Because of the home invasions, I constantly tell my kids to keep the doors locked at ll times and if they are done playing outside shut the garage door so a would be invader does not hae easy access.

I carry most of the time, even when I am home.

Natron

That should change to all the time and even when you are home. Funny things can happen when do not have that :59:

Vinikahr
02-25-2010, 06:06 AM
Yes sir...we are seeing more and more home invasions. Some even in broad daylight. It's what motivated me to go ahead and get my CHL and to be better prepared in the house. We don't leave the front door unlocked and no one answers the door if they don't know who it is first. Situational awareness...

I concur.:yo:

In-Yo-Grill
02-25-2010, 06:18 AM
I concur.:yo:

A lady that works with my wife was telling her that last weekend someone was knocking on their door at 3 o'clock in the morning and her husband had her answer it...What a nimrod!!!

At 3 o'clock in the morning I'm answering the door with a loaded .357 in my hands.

Vinikahr
02-25-2010, 06:33 AM
A lady that works with my wife was telling her that last weekend someone was knocking on their door at 3 o'clock in the morning and her husband had her answer it...What a nimrod!!!

At 3 o'clock in the morning I'm answering the door with a loaded .357 in my hands.

He must hate his wife.:eek:
There was a guy that came knocking on my door for donation at 9PM. I will never ever open that door before I look at the window (and I do it with no lights all dark with my gun in the ready), Anyway, told that I did not donate and asked him to leave. When I look again the guy was getting on car with some other strange individuals.

Vinikahr
02-25-2010, 06:35 AM
This happen around where I live:

WSVN-TV - Three suspects on the run after attempted break-in (http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI131458/)

The video is not working but was kind of graphic when the kid did not open
the door the BG started shooting.

In-Yo-Grill
02-25-2010, 07:16 AM
This happen around where I live:

WSVN-TV - Three suspects on the run after attempted break-in (http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI131458/)

The video is not working but was kind of graphic when the kid did not open
the door the BG started shooting.

My front door is lit up really well and has a nice big piece of glass for viewing. Usually my labs are the first line of defense. When someone comes to the door they go nuts.

GregD
02-25-2010, 08:56 AM
There have been several in the Baton Rouge area. We live in the country, farm land, about 20 miles northwest of Baton Rouge. My wife and I have had this discussion before and what to do. Everyone should have a plan, shoot to kill.

wyntrout
02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
This "code yellow," does that involve moisture in the nether regions?:D

Where I sit most of the day, I look out the window and am always watching for suspicious activity. When someone comes to the door, I pass by my PM9 and then my K9 at my TV chair. Just this morning I saw a pickup pull up next door and a woman walked up towards my door. I got my PM9 and stuck it into my pocket. She had just found a puppy in the park behind me and was trying to reunite it with its owner.
The first night we were in this house, the doorbell rang and I grabbed my K9 before looking out the peephole. It was a cop in uniform bringing a Neighborhood Watch Certificate to the previous owner.
You have to be wary and ready, though. You never know if you'll get the courtesy of a knock -- the door crashing open might be your first clue of a problem.:eek:
Wynn

PS: As soon as I get the FAX number from the GunBroker dealer in NC, I'll get my FFL dealer to contact him. I'm buying a NIB PM4544N with extra 6-shot magazine with extended grip. I don't think I'll have to wait 11 months for this one!:)
My Gamo .22 air rifle is supposed to arrive today, too. (Just delivered) My wife is out shopping and in the middle of a four-day break. Sunday is her 54th BD and we're going to Red Lobster tonight. I haven't even bought her a card, yet, and I've already bought myself my 64th BD gift for June!:rolleyes:
On the down side, my new-last-month 58" plasma HDTV up on the friggin' wall expired with a loud "crack" last night. And the woman at Samsung pulls up the info based on the serial number giving a 12/01/1994 build date or warranty date! What a hoot! Did they even have plasma TVs then, let alone 58" one?? I'm faxing proof and sale info.
I think that my partner will be understanding... as I ain't getting any younger and I want some of my dream toys to play with before I can't enjoy them anymore... at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!:rolleyes:
Well... I guess you're getting used to me getting off the topic and getting carried away like this, by now.:blah::typing:
Wynn:blushing:

Vinikahr
02-25-2010, 11:56 AM
This "code yellow," does that involve moisture in the nether regions?
Where I sit most of the day, I look out the window and am always watching for suspicious activity. When someone comes to the door, I pass by my PM9 and then my K9 at my TV chair. Just this morning I saw a pickup pull up next door and a woman walked up towards my door. I got my PM9 and stuck it into my pocket. She had just found a puppy in the park behind me and was trying to reunite it with its owner.
The first night we were in this house, the doorbell rang and I grabbed my K9 before looking out the peephole. It was a cop in uniform bringing a Neighborhood Watch Certificate to the previous owner.
You have to be wary and ready, though. You never know if you'll get the courtesy of a knock -- the door crashing open might be your first clue of a problem.
Wynn

PS: As soon as I get the FAX number from the GunBroker dealer in NC, I'll get my FFL dealer to contact him. I'm buying a NIB PM4544N with extra 6-shot magazine with extended grip. I don't think I'll have to wait 11 months for this one!
My Gamo .22 air rifle is supposed to arrive today, too. (Just delivered) My wife is out shopping and in the middle of a four-day break. Sunday is her 54th BD and we're going to Red Lobster tonight. I haven't even bought her a card, yet, and I've already bought myself my 64th BD gift for June!
On the down side, my new-last-month 58" plasma HDTV up on the friggin' wall expired with a loud "crack" last night. And the woman at Samsung pulls up the info based on the serial number giving a 12/01/1994 build date or warranty date! What a hoot! Did they even have plasma TVs then, let alone 58" one?? I'm faxing proof and sale info.
I think that my partner will be understanding... as I ain't getting any younger and I want some of my dream toys to play with before I can't enjoy them anymore... at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Well... I guess you're getting used to me getting off the topic and getting carried away like this, by now.
Wynn
:third::smash::yo::rain::blah::popcorn::hippie:

Longitude Zero
02-25-2010, 12:49 PM
In my metro area the overwhelming majority of home invasions are drug/gang related. 85% or better. In the remaining the invader generally has some pre knowledge of what is in the house aka maid/housekeeper/lawn man etc.

PETE14
02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Sunday is her 54th BD and we're going to Red Lobster tonight.

What is it about women and Red Lobster? My wife loves that place.

wyntrout
02-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't know. It's kind of like Russian Roulette with my wife and shrimp. Sometimes she gets "hives" and needs Benedryl ASAP. She doesn't like scallops, either.

Back on the subject of Home Invasions (:p) the home owners/defenders are about even on beating the bad guys down here. Sadly, some people are clueless and don't fare so well. I think about someone bursting in un-announced and I also think about an accidental raid by police. They had better be uniformed and hollering "Police". I would hate to shoot a cop or be shot by them, but he who hesitates is lost... usually.:p

Dang, I need to clean up here and shave for tonight. I've really made a mess here on the "dining room table"/work space in my breakfast nook/office/hobby room.
I've been working on my gun order, trying to get a warranty claim in on my dang TV, checking out my new .22 air rifle/shotgun... I weighed the shot shells and took pictures and took one apart for a report with pictures when I get a chance. My pellets are coming separately, though. Hmmm. I think I have a 10-yard space inside for a pattern test, too. I'll have to figure out what to use for a backstop. It would be my luck that the pattern will be a lot bigger than 12" at 10 yards!:eek:
Wynn:D

At least I don't have to clean off my "work space" for dinner tonight... but there's tomorrow night. <<Sigh>>:rolleyes:

wyntrout
02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
You think I'm kidding about the mess? My wife calls me Mr Monk, because she thinks I'm too meticulous and neat(!??!):rolleyes: (Anal, maybe):p
I'm not proud (lazy and a procrastinator... and we never have company... just my buddy once every few weeks or so) about my "clutter" but here's a sample:
Our breakfast nook and dining table/ my office hobby room/workspace...
and a picture of my view from this window. Missing from my "office" is the 22" LCD HDTV that sits in front of the laser printer on top of the stereo center to the right. It's in the living room/media room since the TV went kaput last night.
I apologize for the mess, but that's the way it is 5 days a week and when we're not dining there.:blushing:
Wynn:p

Vinikahr
02-25-2010, 03:40 PM
You think I'm kidding about the mess? My wife calls me Mr Monk, because she thinks I'm too meticulous and neat(!??!):rolleyes: (Anal, maybe):p
I'm not proud (lazy and a procrastinator... and we never have company... just my buddy once every few weeks or so) about my "clutter" but here's a sample:
and a picture of my view from this window. Missing from my "office" is the 22" LCD HDTV that sits in front of the laser printer on top of the stereo center to the right. It's in the living room/media room since the TV went kaput last night.
I apologize for the mess, but that's the way it is 5 days a week and when we're not dining there.:blushing:

Thanks for sharing!:popcorn:
Keep it coming!

Raoul
02-25-2010, 05:18 PM

You call that a mess? Man, you're an amateur.:biggrin1: You can still see the table!

wyntrout
02-25-2010, 06:18 PM
You call that a mess? Man, you're an amateur.:biggrin1: You can still see the table!

Yeah, but that's our dining table -- the only one.

I 'fessed to my wife about today's "shopping" and all... how selfish I am... yadda yadda.... She just laughed... I also threw in the getting old and not wanting to wait until she has to wheel me up, load my gun, and help me shoot it... etc. She just laughed.
Dinner went well... I brought about 1/4 of my bottle of wine home... and I drove. It's easier than Europe was. I usually drank two bottles of wine and helped her finish hers... before driving back from France to Germany... not completely without incident every time.:o
I sure love my wife! I hope to get my "birthday present" early next week -- the PM4544N. My +P GDs ought to be in about that time and I can do a bang-up report on my new PM45 and the various kinds of 9MM ammo, with pictures!
Oh, about the home invasions -- in the last two years or less, we've had several bad police shootings, so it's very possible and I hate to think about that, but I've got to consider the possibility, 'cause it does happen -- cops not in uniform being challenged by people who are trying to protect themselves and their property -- concerned citizens -- and they wind up being killed by the officers -- the last time was an 89-year old guy who challenged plain-clothes officers trying to catch somebody dealing drugs. He fired on them and they killed him. Like I said, I hope they are wearing uni's and at least seem to be cops.
I had better shut up and get ready to entertain my baby for a bit. Tonight couldn't count for her birthday 'cause it was my Xmas gift card from her sister, so we'll go to Long Horn Grill for steaks -- big tenderloins, of course next Tuesday, and with this extra 2 days off, that will come quickly.:D
Well, wifey's waiting and I must entertain her.
Later.

Wynn:)

mike in pa
02-26-2010, 12:43 PM
In the past couple of years we have seen a rise in home invasions and robberys. It must be a sign of the times.

smithnsig
02-26-2010, 09:50 PM
What is it about women and Red Lobster? My wife loves that place.

It's the garlicky, cheesy bisquits. They love em.

Geohans
02-27-2010, 03:00 AM
At least he capitalized it.

mel5051
03-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Put a large black garbage bag full of empty plastic pop bottles and can's full to the top in a position where if the door is opened they fall all over the floor. I've got one blocking the back and the front door. Makes a huge noise at night and you know right away someone has opened the door somehow.
Of course all the tricks from the 'home alone' movies are great too :-P