PDA

View Full Version : Speer LE Gold Dot 9mm+p 124gr GDHP

JFootin
07-16-2011, 06:58 PM
I just picked up a 50 round box of Speer LE Gold Dot Duty Ammunition 9mm+p 124gr GDH for $29. How did I do? :rolleyes:

jocko
07-16-2011, 07:15 PM
nothing close to that price around here.Is that any differnet than124 GD +P ammo?

JFootin
07-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Nothing close to that price around here. Is that any different than 124 GD +P ammo?

It's bonded, says "LE" and "Duty Ammunition" on the box, and comes in a 50 round box instead of 20. He said this is the duty ammunition for the Asheville, NC, Police Department (largest city in Western NC) and for the NC Highway Patrol. I guess the bonding ensures good penetration of car doors and windows. That's all I know. :2rolleyes:

Barth
07-16-2011, 09:36 PM
It's bonded, says "LE" and "Duty Ammunition" on the box, and comes in a 50 round box instead of 20. He said this is the duty ammunition for the Asheville, NC, Police Department (largest city in Western NC) and for the NC Highway Patrol. I guess the bonding ensures good penetration of car doors and windows. That's all I know. :2rolleyes:

I believe all of Speer's self defense ammo is bonded (LE or not).
In fact Speer may have been one of the first manufacturers to use a bonded process. Now most of the manufactures have a bonded LE bullet.

My understanding is that Speer, and others, do use a slightly different HP design for LE applications.

Technical Note:
Before some distributor jumps me on it I'm speaking generally.
Speer LE Short Barrel, for instance, has the same part number as
the civilian version.

OldLincoln
07-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Same price the KylesGunshop.com (http://www.kylesgunshop.com/store.php?seller=KylesGunshop&navt1=50216&sort=&per=25&grid=) has for Gold Dots LE +P and Federal HST +P.

TucsonMTB
07-16-2011, 09:59 PM
That must be good stuff. The price per round is double that of Winchester Ranger .40 S&W 135 grain JHP (normal pressure) delivered. :eek:

HadEmAll
07-17-2011, 09:47 AM
My understanding is that Speer, and others, do use a slightly different HP design for LE applications.

I'm 99.999% sure its the same bullet as the 124 grain +P load you find in the 20 round boxes.

It is pure and simple marketing by Speer.

Go to ATG.com and you'll see it in the 20 round boxes.

Notice that when you see it in the 20 round boxes, it's labeled "Personal Protection". That's to make you feel like you're buying something special and feel okay about paying substantially more per round than when you can find it in the 50 round boxes labeled "Law Enforcement"

That aside, it's a fine round. NYPD uses it among others.

wyntrout
07-17-2011, 10:48 AM
There's probably a difference between the Short Barrel and the regular GD's in 9mm. There's a marked difference in the .45 230-gr GD's, with the SB's having a shallower and wider at the bottom cavity. The regular is about 1/10" deeper and has a smaller surface area on the flat bottom of the cavity. They are different, but I wish they SB's came in cheaper 50-round boxes.

I think there's enough difference for me to buy the SB's for my PM45. That's just me, though. For the 3" barrel I'm satisfied that the cost difference is worth it to me.

JMHO

Wynn:)

Barth
07-17-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm 99.999% sure its the same bullet as the 124 grain +P load you find in the 20 round boxes.

It is pure and simple marketing by Speer.

Go to ATG.com and you'll see it in the 20 round boxes.

Notice that when you see it in the 20 round boxes, it's labeled "Personal Protection". That's to make you feel like you're buying something special and feel okay about paying substantially more per round than when you can find it in the 50 round boxes labeled "Law Enforcement"

That aside, it's a fine round. NYPD uses it among others.

That may be true for Speer.
I sure don't see anything like Winchester Ranger T-Series
or Federal Tactical Bonded in non LE form...

Barth
07-17-2011, 11:56 AM
There's probably a difference between the Short Barrel and the regular GD's in 9mm. There's a marked difference in the .45 230-gr GD's, with the SB's having a shallower and wider at the bottom cavity. The regular is about 1/10" deeper and has a smaller surface area on the flat bottom of the cavity. They are different, but I wish they SB's came in cheaper 50-round boxes.

I think there's enough difference for me to buy the SB's for my PM45. That's just me, though. For the 3" barrel I'm satisfied that the cost difference is worth it to me.

JMHO

Wynn:)

I've got Short Barrel for my 40 and my 38.
Definitely a different bullet.

OldLincoln
07-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Just what I've read... The Federal Premium LE Edition sales were/are supposed to be restricted to agencies, however it is not illegal to sell/own them. Federal had contracts with larger retailers where they enforce that but can't control lower tier distribution. I don't know if this was an inventory control thing to reserve it for LE or to keep it away from BGs. Lately I think they've given up trying.

wyntrout
07-17-2011, 12:31 PM
"When you care enough to send the very best...."

I don't want to be cheap with the BG's.

Wynn:D

Mr. S
07-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I just picked up a 50 round box of Speer LE Gold Dot Duty Ammunition 9mm+p 124gr GDH for $29. How did I do? :rolleyes:

Not bad.

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=hotpig27&ct=65200&recview=11

JFootin
07-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Not bad.

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=hotpig27&ct=65200&recview=11

I thought $29 out the door was a bargain, but it is available here, after jumping through some hoops, for $24.95. Thanks, Mr. S!

Well, there ya are! The #1 recommended ammo on this forum for 50¢ a bullet! No sense leaving any BGs standing now! :w00t:

JFootin
07-17-2011, 02:11 PM
They have Winchester Bonded PDX1 at great prices, too.
http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=hotpig27&ct=66241

Barth
07-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Just what I've read... The Federal Premium LE Edition sales were/are supposed to be restricted to agencies, however it is not illegal to sell/own them. Federal had contracts with larger retailers where they enforce that but can't control lower tier distribution. I don't know if this was an inventory control thing to reserve it for LE or to keep it away from BGs. Lately I think they've given up trying.

I've read the same thing.
Seems like some sources like to say "it's part of a LE contract overrun".
Like that's a loophole to sell LE to the public?!?

What I do know is during the LA riots gun/ammo sales were frozen and the national guard was called out for dusk to dawn curfew!

(I've stocked up on LE ammo)

Mr. S
07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
I thought $29 out the door was a bargain, but it is available here, after jumping through some hoops, for $24.95. Thanks, Mr. S!

Well, there ya are! The #1 recommended ammo on this forum for 50¢ a bullet! No sense leaving any BGs standing now! :w00t:

I keep forgetting some people only by one box of ammo at a time.

JFootin
07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
I keep forgetting some people only by one box of ammo at a time.

That's all I could afford at the time. :o

eklipto101
07-19-2011, 01:33 AM
My favorite choice, it's very accurate. I get mine for 23.95 at this one store I go to, they cater to LE. Another round that's very good specially if your gun is finicky with HP it's by Federal 124 +p EFMJ, you don't have to worry about penetration cause it's like a FMJ but it mushrooms quiet well.

jocko
07-19-2011, 05:12 AM
One might find ammo as good as GD, but IMO not any better.U pay for good ammo and u get it with GD. Kahrs sure like um..

Bill K
07-19-2011, 07:32 AM
I would say that you paid a very good price for 50 rounds of decent SD ammo. I generally pay around thirty-six for a 50 round box of Black Hills 124 +P (bullet used is XTP).

I use 124 +P for my Glock but have switched to Black Hills 115 EXP (extra pressure) for my PM9. Great bare gelatin stats for both rounds but would really like to have seen same with denim covered gelatin.

hotpig
07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
They have Winchester Bonded PDX1 at great prices, too.
http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=hotpig27&ct=66241 You can buy the Ranger Bonded in the 50 round box. It is the same as the PDX1. However Winchester has not finished fazing in the new bullet yet. Right now the Ranger Bonded 9mm is using a different bullet. It looks more like a standard jhp.

When Winchester changes the 9mm over and I suspect they will come out with the bonded Ranger in .380 I may stop selling the regular PDX1 ammo.

Barth
07-26-2011, 05:55 PM
You can buy the Ranger Bonded in the 50 round box. It is the same as the PDX1. However Winchester has not finished fazing in the new bullet yet. Right now the Ranger Bonded 9mm is using a different bullet. It looks more like a standard jhp.

When Winchester changes the 9mm over and I suspect they will come out with the bonded Ranger in .380 I may stop selling the regular PDX1 ammo.

I bought several boxes of Ranger Bonded HP and Ranger T-Series in 40 cal.
Just a casual look at the bullets and it's easy to see they are very different.

Mr. S
07-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I bought several boxes of Ranger Bonded HP and Ranger T-Series in 40 cal.
Just a casual look at the bullets and it's easy to see they are very different.

They should because they are.
He was referring to the Ranger bonded and PDX being the same.

Barth
07-26-2011, 06:51 PM
They should because they are.
He was referring to the Ranger bonded and PDX being the same.

I was agreeing, not arguing.
This is just like email at work – super fun – LOL!

bamaman
08-16-2011, 05:38 PM
You did good. That is great ammo