PDA

View Full Version : Best Price on Pistol Primers????

garyb
07-17-2011, 07:26 AM
That da*#ed hazardous materials fee kills us. How are you folks buying your primers to get the best price? The only thing I can figure is to get them at a store. That is what I did last visit to Bass Pro.

Makes me wonder just how many hazardous materials spills the nation has had due to powder or primers. It is rediculous.

Please HELP on a solution for the primer cost!!! Thanks a bunch.

By the way...THANKS Bawana for recommending Precision Delta's bullets. I ordered 2000 for my 40 and they seem to be an excellent product at a great price. I have not shot them yet, but plan to do so with tactical training instructor on Tuesday. Appreciated Bawana!

OldLincoln
07-17-2011, 10:00 AM
I buy powder and primers locally because of that fee. The only way to get past the fee is if you buy in huge quantities like a group buy.

I don't shoot/reload a lot and after checking it to death, prefer buying a couple thousand at a time for about $30/K. Same with powder, 1lb will last me a while.

garyb
07-17-2011, 02:29 PM
That's the same conclusion I reached OldLincoln. Thanks.

It is around the same price I got from my LE trainer who competes and shoots ALOT. He seems to have a connection for materials and I'll be talking to him on Tuesday during our monthly training session. He buys his stuff through group buy too. It is a shame that our own gov't is pushing us into needing to do this crap, but it is what it is.... Group buy it will be, but in the meanwhile I need to build my inventory so I can shoot more. I only have about 750 rounds ready to go, am out of primers and hate buying at retail (especially when those haz material fees get tacked on...ouch). Bad enough with the taxes. Thanks for your input.

94zcar
07-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Yep same here I buy my primers and powder locally.

There is a person that put a video up on youtube, he reloads primers...really you have to check it out. Looks like to much work for me but he is very creative.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nphPRG6JA

TonyT
07-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Unles you are purchasing ca 25,000 primers the hazmat fee and shipping will make mail, order too expensive. I don't know where you live but if you are near the port Clinton, Ohio area you can purchase them at the Camp Perry national matches for $130/5000 at the Champions Choice store.

houdini
07-23-2011, 08:08 AM
I like to help my local dealers

wyntrout
07-23-2011, 08:36 AM
UPS considers ammo hazardous, but doesn't charge extra for shipping, though you must ship through actual UPS Service Centers or hand the package to a UPS driver. You can't use the UPS stores or any other franchise drop off/pickup "boutiques".

FedEx charges a hazardous fee. I don't know about the USPS. If UPS is used, is there an extra fee with them? Are primers and powder different from Small Arms Cartridges?

I've shipped ammo and had to drive 20 miles to the other side of town to get to the UPS Service Center with real UPS employees. There was no added fee with them, but you have to use proper labeling. I took pictures of the labels from ammo shipments I had received and printed up what I needed. The next time I scheduled a home pickup for only about $7-something more... cheaper and saved me two hours driving and gas, as well.

I haven't checked primers, specifically, though, to see if the requirements are more stringent and a fee with UPS or not.

Update... it seems primers and powder are treated differently and require the hazardous fee. Primed cases and loaded ammo are hazardous, but no extra fee with UPS ground:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/hazardous/index.html?WT.svl=SubNav

Wynn:)

MW surveyor
07-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm paying about $32.00 per thousand here in Houston at the local reloading shop. Sometimes I can make a deal and get them for $28.00 per thousand at another shop. Last time I was at the gun show, could have bought a sleeve for $95.00 but they were Wolf (yeah, I know they work but I didn't need any more small pistol primers at the time)

Dietrich
07-31-2011, 08:12 AM
The prices for powder and primers at the local gun stores here in the coastal area of NC are outrageous.I`m talking $49.00 for a thousand primers and over $30.00 per pound for powder.For that very reason,I refuse to do business with any of them for anything.I wait and buy my reloading components and firearms from the gun shows that come to Raleigh every few months.Just in case the owners of the gun stores in the Carteret county area of NC read this forum,I have bought 3 handguns in the last year.None from your store.Prices for primers at the gun show run for 28 to 32 dollars per thousand.An eight pound keg of powder is around $137.00 with one pounders going around $22.00.