PDA

View Full Version : A clean gun is a happy gun

medezyner
12-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Out of habit, I've always cleaned my pistols after every range session. My son is the same way. There are more than a few members at my club that dont feel its necessary except for their CCW. Technically, it's probably not necessary, but some of that range ammo just leaves behind too much crap (powder residue) then add copper/lead fowling to the barrel. Maybe those are the same guys that get too many FTF, accuracy issues and everything else they blame on the gun and the ammo. Never gave it much thought until I had to clean 4 handguns a few weeks ago. Anyone want to weigh-in on this?

Just Bob
12-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Always after a range workout. I usually run a hundred rounds through my Kahr and I was amazed at the brass and powder deposits it left. I'm with ya, always after firing. It also helps me to see potential issues before they become a problem.
Bob

jocko
12-23-2009, 08:38 AM
especially if your gonna carry it. I am guilty sometimes of not doing that..

Ol'coot
12-23-2009, 09:13 AM
All my guns are cleaned as soon as I get back home after a day at the range. I am of the belief that if I do my part I can expect the weapon to operate correctly when it is needed. For me it's a habit that was drilled into me by my dad and the army and taken very seriously

500KV
12-23-2009, 09:31 AM
For me it's a habit that was drilled into me by my dad and the army and taken very seriously
Right there OC.
I remember taking that old M1 in the shower with me after a range session.:33:

mx5fan
12-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Within 24 to 48 hours after range time I clean my guns...just a good habit to get into and your right...........

"A clean gun is a happy gun"

mr surveyor
12-23-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm waiting for the "other brand fanboy club" to jump in with statements like "My (place your fanboy brand name here) can handle 10,000 rounds and be drug through the mud and still fire". That may be true for a tiny number of specimins from most any manufacturer, but consider the unnecessary wear and tear placed on the weapon. Face it, powder residue, tiny brass shavings, all mixed with lube residue creates a thick, abrasive sludge that does nothing but excessively grind the metal to metal surfaces of machine parts.

Although I do normally make it a practice to field strip and clean all my firearms after every outing, I have on occassions skipped a cleaning of my "non-carry" guns. But, my carry guns get cleaned and inspected shortly after every use. Heck, they get cleaned and inspected at least every couple of weeks anyway, if not for dust bunny removal and lube, just for the whole fondling thing.:)

surv

jocko
12-23-2009, 12:06 PM
personally I never put alot of credence in that 10,000 round stuff. If that is what one whats to do to prove his gun can do that, it is fine with me. Actually my main goal is for my PM9 when needed, to shoot 7 rounds without one hic-cup

steve666
12-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I guess you could call me a cleaning fool. I clean after each range session and at least once every couple of months even if I haven't fired them.

WMD
12-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I also subscribe to the theory of cleaning the gun after each use. On occasion, I may neglect to do so but 95% of the time, I make a point of cleaning the weapon. It does not take a whole lot of effort to clean the gun so why allow it to get a build up of crud?

I am not an engineer but think that powder fouling can only accelerate wear on mating surfaces. I am sure it would take forever to wear out specific parts, but why rush it?

I am a believer in proactive maintenance.

500KV
12-23-2009, 01:24 PM
You guys knew someone would drag this out again didn't you?
Interesting read anyway..:eek:

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com (http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item)

sharpetop
12-23-2009, 09:28 PM
After each range session. If it's my carry gun, it gets cleaned and lubed at least once a month whether I shoot it or not. Pocket carry guns get cleaned more often than that.

medezyner
12-24-2009, 05:07 AM
You guys knew someone would drag this out again didn't you?
Interesting read anyway..:eek:

I've never seen that torture test. If it's legit (and I dont doubt that it is) I'm very impressed. Its comforting to know that if I threw my G26 out of the space shuttle, I could dig it up, hit it with 500 kV;), soak it in one of those super acids for a few days, massage it with a plasma cutter and it would still go bang. Amazing. And I was worried about skipping a cleaning!

grasslander
12-24-2009, 06:59 AM
After you clean your "carry" gun, do you shoot one round for a function test?

mr surveyor
12-25-2009, 08:10 PM
After you clean your "carry" gun, do you shoot one round for a function test?

No.

I have handled my firearms enough to know they will function after cleaning as re-assembly:)

Price
12-25-2009, 08:30 PM
I always clean after a range session, especially since I usually put 200 rds or so through my cw 45 each time. I also usually clean everything once every month or so even if it hasn't been fired. Part of it is habit from the Army the other part is really loving my guns and wanting to keep them in the best shape possible and part of it is the fact that I actually enjoy cleaning my guns. It is a nice relaxing time in front of the tube or something and its not really a chore for me.

medezyner
12-26-2009, 06:40 AM
I always clean after a range session, especially since I usually put 200 rds or so through my cw 45 each time. I also usually clean everything once every month or so even if it hasn't been fired. Part of it is habit from the Army the other part is really loving my guns and wanting to keep them in the best shape possible and part of it is the fact that I actually enjoy cleaning my guns. It is a nice relaxing time in front of the tube or something and its not really a chore for me.

Nope, not a chore for me either. Nothing like a good day at the range, sit in front of the tube watching the UFC and cleaning the pistols.

zena
12-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Ok. I'll sign in as being very, very bad. I almost never clean my guns after a day at the range. Maybe because I truly spend the entire day and have no more day left. But I shoot 1-3x week, several guns, and get to them within probably 500 rounds, which works out to be maybe every three weeks. I have no FTF or other problems so I'm feeling like my system is working for me so far. Anyone else going to fess up or am I the only one? :confused:

mx5fan
12-26-2009, 04:19 PM
But I shoot 1-3x week,

You go girl...1-3x a week, very good going, indeed.

zena
12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks, mx5. I spent so much of my life being quiet. Now I'm making up for it!;)

medezyner
12-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Ok. But I shoot 1-3x week, several guns, and get to them within probably 500 rounds, which works out to be maybe every three weeks. I have no FTF or other problems so I'm feeling like my system is working for me so far. Anyone else going to fess up or am I the only one? :confused:

Ya know, if I was shooting 1-3x/week, I wouldnt be cleaning every visit to the range either. I'd rather be shooting than cleaning for sure. It's working for you, dont change it. Hmm, could I be cleaning too much and not shotting enough?

ltxi
12-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Ok. I'll sign in as being very, very bad. I almost never clean my guns after a day at the range. Maybe because I truly spend the entire day and have no more day left. But I shoot 1-3x week, several guns, and get to them within probably 500 rounds, which works out to be maybe every three weeks. I have no FTF or other problems so I'm feeling like my system is working for me so far. Anyone else going to fess up or am I the only one? :confused:

No, you're not the only one. I generally don't bother to clean my commonly used handguns until they've had at least 100 rounds through them....using ammunition that's not particularly dirty.

zena
12-27-2009, 03:32 PM
No, you're not the only one. I generally don't bother to clean my commonly used handguns until they've had at least 100 rounds through them....using ammunition that's not particularly dirty.

I reload all my ammo (maybe this takes up some of my gun cleaning time?) and use Vihta Vouri powder which does run pretty clean.

Dietrich
12-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks, mx5. I spent so much of my life being quiet. Now I'm making up for it!;)
Yes,I agree wholeheartedly.I`ve heard that the board of directors at Logan International Airport have asked you to try to keep the noise down.:D

zena
12-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes,I agree wholeheartedly.I`ve heard that the board of directors at Logan International Airport have asked you to try to keep the noise down.:D

We've gone to suppressed AR 15's so as not to attract as much attention. Wicked cool to shoot without ears on!:banplease: