PDA

View Full Version : Premature Slide Lock

tst1531
07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
So, I waited (very impatiently, if you ask my wife) about 8 weeks to get my birthday present (Kahr MK9), and I've been to the range twice to take it through its recommended 200 round break in. I have to say, I've been very disappointed. The gun shoots great, and even make me feel like I'm somewhat accurate. But in both sessions I had the premature slide lock issue, today nearly %50 of the time. Each time it occurs I check to ensure that it isn't actually jammed, every single time though the slide lock has been engaged. I'm also very careful to ensure that I'm not engaging it with my thumb.

I've used federal 115gr fmj, wwb 115gr fmj, lawmans 115gr fmj, and some winchester ranger -t 127g +p+, and I've had the same problem with all of it. It also is not limited to specific mag, same problem with both mags.

I'm planning on contacting Kahr to talk to them about it, but I wanted to see if there were any recommendations around here. Possibly find out if there is something I'm missing.

jocko
07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
go to thge kahr tech section and hit on propper prepping of ur new kahr and it will tel lu exactly what is happening and how to check for it, and how to fix it even.

I would guess those rounds are hitting the inside of the slidelock and engaging it . being ur absolutley sure your thumb is not the culprit. Try shooting it left handed to eliminate that possability but I thinik the propper preppinbg this will help you out. If it is the slide lock, call kahr asd explain what you are seeing and they will send you a new slide lock lever.

If it is a bad out of spec slide lock lever and you can see the rounds are hitting it on the inside, and then after calling kahr and they will send you a new slide lock lever, NOW u can pull ur existing lever and gently file back where that nub is hitting on the bullets. Go slowly, u can't hurt a darn thing as u have a new one coming anyhow, but this is fixable in house if you want to try that. Strange that 115 grain fmj is causing it.

U need to eliminte the possbilities before even thinking of sending it back Shoot it left handed and or let another good shooter try it. If the issues still come up,u have now eliminated that part, now check that slide lock lever out, if it is hitti8ng it u will see that very easily if u follow the directions on the prepp thread.

Barth
07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
So, I waited (very impatiently, if you ask my wife) about 8 weeks to get my birthday present (Kahr MK9), and I've been to the range twice to take it through its recommended 200 round break in. I have to say, I've been very disappointed. The gun shoots great, and even make me feel like I'm somewhat accurate. But in both sessions I had the premature slide lock issue, today nearly %50 of the time. Each time it occurs I check to ensure that it isn't actually jammed, every single time though the slide lock has been engaged. I'm also very careful to ensure that I'm not engaging it with my thumb.

I've used federal 115gr fmj, wwb 115gr fmj, lawmans 115gr fmj, and some winchester ranger -t 127g +p+, and I've had the same problem with all of it. It also is not limited to specific mag, same problem with both mags.

I'm planning on contacting Kahr to talk to them about it, but I wanted to see if there were any recommendations around here. Possibly find out if there is something I'm missing.

I accidently bent the slide stop spring on my MK40 during re-assembly.
Same thing was happening to me.
Will the slide cycle easily without sticking?
Replacing the spring solved my problem.

Good luck with your gun.
Mine ate 200+ rounds of various hollow points during breaking
flawlessly before I did a number on it.

bonjorno2
07-19-2011, 05:05 PM
have someone else shoot it too

jocko
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
I would pay good attention to what Barth stated to. I had forgot about the MK having the same slide stop spring as the Polymer models. If u bend that springy, u can get what he described. Certainly if you check and find the slide stop lever is not hitting the bullets, whcih I stated would seem odd for 115 grain fmj rounds, then indeed look at that slide stop spring. U can also go to the cw45 fixes by GB6491 , it is a sticky on the kahr tech section and he gives a nice photo tutorial of what that spring should look like and how to remove and install a new one, ...

tst1531
07-19-2011, 06:07 PM
I appreciate the feedback - I've got a few new things to try this weekend. I'm definitely going to try shooting it left handed to rule out user error. I did have a couple other guys shoot it, and they experienced the same slide lock issue.

I just checked my ranger ammo (I'm all out of fmj stuff) to see if it is hitting the slide stop, and it definitely is, but I know it is a bit wider than the 115gr fmj rounds. I have seen in several places throughout this forum that people had no problem shooting the ranger -t 127gr +p+ jhp ammo. When I checked my 115gr stuff last week, it wasn't touching, but it was close.

Should I expect any ammo to hit the slide lock lever? How much clearance should there be?

tst1531
07-19-2011, 06:49 PM
I just noticed something else that could be lending to the problem. Here's the process I used:

Lock slide back
insert full mag
release slide with slide lock lever (not slingshot method)
remove mag

When I remove the mag, the top round is pushed forward 1/8th to 3/16ths of an inch.
Should this happen at all?

Of course, when all is said and done, I remove the round from the chamber :)

bonjorno2
07-19-2011, 06:51 PM
this happens often with kahrs.....

frank_drebin
07-19-2011, 07:49 PM
99% it's the slide stop being inserted above the spring, against the spring or the spring is bad.

tst1531
07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Kahr's sending me a polished slide lock lever. Wonder if I'll get it before this weekend??? While I wait for that I'll look at the spring a little more closely. I know the lever isn't being inserted above the spring, but I guess it may not be aligned correctly.

frank_drebin
07-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Might you have bent it back?

jocko
07-20-2011, 10:47 AM
quote:Should I expect any ammo to hit the slide lock lever? How much clearance should there be?

just a c-nt hair of clearance is all that is needed.

Try some other ammo to see if that takes care of the issue "THAT CLEARS: that slide lock lever and then wait for kahr to send u the new one, then try it to see if it clears the rounds you truly want to shoot, If not now u have two good slide stops just file gently back that little tab that makes contact with the rounds and polish and retest it out. Go slowely, u can't hurt a damn thing, many do it, most all succeed. U shouldn't have to do that either but slide stops are issues on many guns, not just kahrs. I had 3 replaced on my Para carry 9 before it got right.
The bullet moving forward in the magazine is normal for all kahrs, it is the design of the magaazine, many hate that, but it gives no issues. I truly think it is supposed to do that. my only thoughts as to why is that maybe the offset feed ramp which provides a lower bore axis which produces less recoil, it is needed to work that way to feed properly. Where most bit-h about it is when carrying it loosley in their pocket. Rounds will fall out. If u contemplate doing this spare mag carry indeed get a good mad pouch or you will be hunting for those rounds in your pocket. Other than that the mags are ok..

tst1531
07-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Might you have bent it back?

There is always the possibility that I've done something to screw it up, but from looking at it, it doesn't seem bent at all. I'll look at it a little more closely when I get home... maybe take some pictures, and see what all of you think.

I'll pick up some more ammo for the range this weekend, then test. So far I've tried three different types of fmj and one type of jhp. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for all the help.

jocko
07-20-2011, 12:31 PM
TSATI531

pom SENT

tst1531
07-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Ok, here's my update from last weekend: After adjusting my slidelock spring, I went out and purchased some ammo for the range. This time I picked up some Remington UMC and some Tul Ammo (cheap russian stuff). First 4 mags, 1 - 2 premature slide locks (psl's from now on) per mag. After that, 8 mags with absolutely no problems, and I was rotating ammo. After those 8 mags went through cleanly with no psl's. I was getting excited, thinking the gun had solved the issue. However, after the eighth clean mag, it all started up again.

What I did before going to the range: adjusted the slide stop lever spring so that it would apply a little more downward pressure on the slide stop.

At the range: As suggested by Jocko, I tried shooting with my left hand (still had the psl issue). I also had another person shoot it, and he had the same psl issue.

Right now, I'm still waiting on the polished slide lock lever that Kahr is sending me, which will hopefully eliminate the problem. I haven't touched the current slide lock lever because I want to compare it to the new one I get from Kahr.

Anyway, if there are any more suggestions out there, I'd love to hear them. I'll post another update next time I go to the range - probably after I get the new slide stop lever.

tst1531
07-30-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm still waiting on the polished slide lock lever. Any know what typical wait time is on parts from Kahr?

CarlCyrus
08-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I put up a thread (or two) here about the same issue. Included a lot of pics. I ended up getting a new slide lock (that I've not yet used). Once the new piece was in hand, I started grinding/polishing the nub of that slide lock down until the problem went away. Took three times, but now operation is flawless.

Don't talk too loud about your Kahr problems here, or you will get a ration of crap from you know who.

Carl

tst1531
08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Don't talk too loud about your Kahr problems here, or you will get a ration of crap from you know who.

Carl

Thanks Carl - I'll keep that in mind. You wouldn't happen to have an image to the two slide stops side-by-side, for comparison. I was looking at the thread you started regarding the same issue, and I couldn't find an image of the finished product.

Also, how long did it take to receive the new slide stop from kahr? I've been waiting about two weeks. Think I might give them a call tomorrow.

CarlCyrus
08-10-2011, 07:51 PM
I'll have to look around to see if I took a pic of the finished product. If I can't find one, I'll take one and get it added to the end of my thread.

Carl

Quickdraw
08-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Premature Slide Lock (PSL) it happens to everyone at some time. Maybe a desensitizing lube would help.

tst1531
08-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Premature Slide Lock (PSL) it happens to everyone at some time. Maybe a desensitizing lube would help.

Sounds like you have experience - I'm guessing you have a favorite brand...

Anyway - the slide lock lever finally came in, and it only took about 3 1/2 weeks. Going to try it this weekend... hopefully. I'll report back.

tst1531
08-20-2011, 07:48 PM
I replaced the slide lock lever, and... Same result - generally several times per mag, the slide locks back. I've tried several of the suggestions on the site, and nothing seems to help. I've shot it left handed, had several other people shoot it. The only thing I haven't done yet is start grinding away at the slide lock lever... I guess that's my next step. Starting to get pretty disappointed/frustrated with this gun.

tst1531
08-25-2011, 02:31 PM
So, just another small update. I talked to Kahr again, and they thought it may be the slide lock lever spring, and they were going to send a new one out. Before they sent one though, I noticed what I thought was some type of machine mark on the trigger pivot pin. When I looked at it closer, I realized it was actually a crack. So Kahr sent me a fedex label, and it is in their hands. I'm really looking forward to getting back, and taking it back to the range. Here are a couple pics of the cracked pin.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6181/6071993276_9218b7e470_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6078/6071993288_e46d0132a6.jpg

Anyway, so far very happy with Kahr support - they've been very helpful every time I've talked to them.

Bill K
08-25-2011, 02:53 PM
That's a good catch by you, don't know that I would have found the crack. Kahr should fix both issues a return a fully functioning piece. Good luck.

jocko
08-25-2011, 03:07 PM
tst1531. My et ur slidelock spring is defective which is very rare in the k series kahrs, very rare inseed. The cracked pin might have something to do with it to, If u checked to ee if the ammo was Not hitting the lever on the inside, then one hasto pointto the slidelock spring,. You did not mention if the rounds were hitting on the insdie of the slide lock lever. If they are, u stillhave an out of spec slidelock lever. It can happen. Ihad 3 different slide lock lever sent tome before I cold get my Para carry 9 issue corrected. The gun has to go back now anyways so kahr will getit right, but you coldhave done alittle filing and smoothing on the inside of the slidelock lever to cure ur ills and I would haver recommended u do that until I seen the cracked pin.
that needs replaced, whetehr it effects anything or not. Make sur eyou docuent everything f9or thye kahr techs so that they khnow whgat to look for. IOf it was my gun while ur waiting on the fed x label, why not seeif those ronds could be hitting on the inside of the slide lock lever, to cure ur curiosity. You can refer to the kahr prep section and hit on propper preepping of ur new kahr to see how to check this out really fast with no toosl required..I have aused K9 and it is excellent, just a marvelous gun, IMO.

tst1531
08-25-2011, 05:45 PM
If it was my gun while ur waiting on the fed x label, why not seeif those ronds could be hitting on the inside of the slide lock lever, to cure ur curiosity. You can refer to the kahr prep section and hit on propper preepping of ur new kahr to see how to check this out really fast with no toosl required..I have aused K9 and it is excellent, just a marvelous gun, IMO.

You're right, I didn't mentioned anything about whether the rounds were hitting the replacement slide lock lever, but I did check, and they weren't. Everything seemed to have plenty of clearance, especially the fmj stuff I shot. My SD rounds were close, but they weren't hitting the new lever like they were with the old one. So, if it's like you said, it must be the spring (which Jay was ready to send out to me).

I was going to start filing the old lever, but I found the crack before I got to it. Since I was already in contact with Kahr support regarding the slide lock issue, I sent them the pictures of the crack and Jay immediately emailed me the fedex label. I documented my issues for them, and shipped it off yesterday. It was delivered safely to Kahr today.

I have to say though, regardless of the issues I'm having, I love the way the gun feels and its accuracy. I'm looking forward to getting it back in a reliable state.

jocko
08-25-2011, 06:04 PM
u would have had difficulty installing the slidelock spring (rod). best for kahr to do that anyway.

tst1531
08-25-2011, 08:59 PM
u would have had difficulty installing the slidelock spring (rod). best for kahr to do that anyway.

That's what I've heard - a real pain without the right tools.

tst1531
09-12-2011, 04:40 PM
I received my MK9 back from Kahr today with the cracked trigger pivot pin replaced and the polished slide lock lever re-polished. I have an issue though with damage to the frame. It looks like a chip or tool mark next to the trigger pivot pin. I just want to see what all of you think. I kind of think the condition of the gun should be returned in a condition at least as good as when I sent it in.

here are the pics:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6075/6141468643_d7bd22c0c4.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6210/6141468973_dacb6f2d54.jpg

jocko
09-12-2011, 05:16 PM
oh my, please live with it, test the gun out, they are not gonna replace that gun, as new serial numbers would be required meaning new registration on your dime and for that little glitch, indeed live with it.. I am not disagreeing with you but!!!!

tst1531
09-12-2011, 06:12 PM
oh my, please live with it, test the gun out, they are not gonna replace that gun, as new serial numbers would be required meaning new registration on your dime and for that little glitch, indeed live with it.. I am not disagreeing with you but!!!!

I am planning on testing it out this weekend, I'd really like to find out if the re-polished slide lock lever corrects the slide lock issue. Regarding the damage, I haven't decided what to do. I did however, send this to Kahr for manufacturer repair, and I think it's only fair to expect the gun's finish to be in as good of condition as when I sent it.

gb6491
09-13-2011, 05:34 AM
I wouldn't be happy with that ding either. I looked at the photo closely to see if they meant to stake the pin in, but find it looks to to be just shoddy work. Kahr needs to be made aware of it and they need to make it right. Someone also need to correct the work habits of whoever did the work and anybody who may have inspected it.
Regards,
Greg

tst1531
09-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Response from Kahr:

"Good morning. I am sorry to hear about your pistols. I have shown
these photographs to our head gunsmith and he has told me that
unfortunately this does happen when replacing the trigger pivot pin. We put
the frames into a custom press and it does make a slight nick. We do
apologize for any inconvenience. I look forward to hearing about your range
trip.
sincerely,
Jay"

Is that really the best they can do? And if that's the case, why don't all new kahr mk9's have the same flaw - shouldn't they all be assembled the same way? Seems like a complete bs answer to me.

gb6491
09-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Response from Kahr:

"Good morning. I am sorry to hear about your pistols. I have shown
these photographs to our head gunsmith and he has told me that
unfortunately this does happen when replacing the trigger pivot pin. We put
the frames into a custom press and it does make a slight nick. We do
apologize for any inconvenience. I look forward to hearing about your range
trip.
sincerely,
Jay"

Is that really the best they can do? And if that's the case, why don't all new kahr mk9's have the same flaw - shouldn't they all be assembled the same way? Seems like a complete bs answer to me.
What's that old adage? Oh yes, it's coming to me now: "IT'S A POOR CRAFTSMAN THAT BLAMES HIS TOOLS"
They need to fix that "custom" press (judging by the work, my guess is it's a drunk or far sighted gorilla with a punch and a big hammer), adjust the attitude that accepts that kind of work as properly done, and repair the damage they did to this gun.
Regards,
Greg

tst1531
09-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Just curious, has anyone else out there has had there trigger pivot pin replaced? Was there a nick next to the pin after Kahr returned the gun?

jocko
09-13-2011, 11:01 AM
yes it is a bull **** answer, but I felt they would not do anythingabout it either.

jocko
09-13-2011, 11:03 AM
yes it is a bull sh-t answer, but I felt they would not do anythingabout it either. take it higher up in the food chain and see what they say. Ask if it is a woman, that if she had a new setting for her diamond ring and it came back with aq chunk out of the diamond would she accept that b. s. answer or if you get a man ifhe went in for an oil change and it came out with a chip on the windshiled if he would accept that bul-sh-t answer...

JFootin
09-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Jocko, is steam coming out of you ears about now? +1 on the BS. I'm right there with ya. :31::target:

tst1531
10-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Alright, it's been a while since my last update regarding the premature slide lock issue. After receiving my gun back from Kahr with the replaced trigger pivot pin and newly polished slide lock lever... and a scratch/chip/nick in the frame from Kahr's custom press, I took the gun the the range. While the performance improved, I ran into the "psl" issue every two or three mags. As a result, I told Kahr that I either wanted a replacement gun or a full refund. They opted to replace my gun. I picked up a brand new gun yesterday from the gun shop, and tested it yesterday afternoon. This gun, after 120 rounds, has worked perfectly. Though not happy with all the time and effort involved in getting here, I am happy with the end result. Kahr's customer support (Jay) has been very good, and responsive throughout the entire process. So right now, like I said, I am very happy with the end result, and I'll feel even better after I've got about another 500 rounds through it. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions throughout the thread, they've been very helpful.

Speedy
10-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Just curious if anyone has had PreMature slide Lock with an MK9 due to sweaty hands? I was at the range last month and it kept happening to me and the range master. He stuck some skateboard tape/swat dots on the front of the grip (which is smooth metal on the MK) and it worked perfectly with zero malfunctions?
I'm guessing the PM has a serrated front grip so this isn't much of a problem. Any thoughts?

wayneo1
10-26-2011, 08:19 AM
I am glad you got a new gun. That chip would have bugged me so much I would have had to sell it. You what they say alls well that ends well. I am sure you are gonna love that gun.

airny
08-08-2016, 08:53 PM
My mk9 was was acting up last week with slide prematuring locking on the last 2 round...i had well over 1000 maybe close to 2000 rounds on it already without any issue until last week...i started reading about slide locking up and come to conclusion it could be my slide lock spring so i order one from kahr...i received it today and i went to the range....150 rounds of federal 115 grain with aluminum casing zero pre-mature slide lock up...problem solve...im now a happy camper again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk