PDA

View Full Version : Load problems

thumbs
07-25-2011, 03:23 PM
I have been loading 115gr Jrn with w123 with 4.5 gr. I am having terrible results so far. Now I think I know the problem but maybe someone can help me. I oal is 1.170. I think I am to long for the cm9. Works fine in my Glock but terrible in the cm9. I just re seated the rest of the cartridges to 1.150.

Do you guys think this is the reason for all the ftf fte? This is a brand new pistol first time out. Shot about 20 rounds and had about 18 of then give me problems.

I cleaned and lubes the pistol before taking it out. I also checked the magazine to make sure the follower moved freely. I also racked the slide about 300 times before shooting it.

Next time I'll use factory ammo I just didnt have any today.

Thanks for the help

Bawanna
07-25-2011, 03:43 PM
I suspect your correct. While not finicky about ammo Kahrs don't seem to like cartridges that are on the long side.

I'd definitely run some factory till your good and broke in and then experiment with the hand loads. I did very similar stuff with my PM45. Shortened up the OAL just a bit and they work just fine.

Scimmia
07-25-2011, 04:04 PM
1.150 is even pretty long. Using 125 gr LRN bullets, 1.130 was just barily too long for my CM9 chamber and contacting the rifling. I'm sure the bullet profile has a lot to do with that, though. 1.125 was fine, but I load most of them at 1.120 now.

thumbs
07-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys. I am so new to Kahr I didn't know they were so sensitive. My Glock really doesn't care. LoL

The only reason I went to 1.150 was that was the length of the factory stuff I got this afternoon.

Ok so I can still go a bit shorter if I have to. I hope with the profile of the 115 gr 1.150 will work.

I loaded a mag with the 1.150 oal stuff I just loaded. I put it in the pistol and ran them through the pistol by racking the slide. I know this isn't a guarantee but they ran through just fine. I hope to shoot the 1.150 tomorrow.
Thanks

Tilos
07-25-2011, 08:30 PM
thumbs:
You left the 2nd "1" out of the OAL you mentioned three times in both your posts.
I'm hoping you mean 1.150" and not the number you posted:confused:.
Tilos

thumbs
07-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks yeah 1.150 is correct. My original reloads were 1.170.
I have racked three or four mag through by hand tonight without a problem. I'm looking forward to getting out tomorrow. I think it will be night and day difference.

MW surveyor
07-26-2011, 04:30 AM
thumbs,

I've been running my 9 mm 125 grain LRN loads at 1.115 to 1.125 using 4.4 grains of HP 38. Cycles the slide very well and is an accurate load in my CW 9 and CZ Phantom.

Not trying to get on to you but when you describe something regarding reloading, accuracy is everyone's friend (especially with the numbers!).:blah:

thumbs
07-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Yep your right. It was one of those things where my mind said one thing and my fingers said another.

I was wrong with the info I posted. This is exactly why no one should try any load unless they can confirm its accuracy. If there is anything fortunate about my mistake is the round would probably not chamber I'll see if I can find that load in my book.

Are you casting your own lead bullets, buying them or buying the loaded cartridge? If you are casting your own what mold are you using

Thanks

MW surveyor
07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Not casting my own at the present time but buying the bullets from friendswood bullet company.

BTW - I always do a "plonk" test for each of my new bullet reloads for any semi auto. That is, I remove the barrel from the gun and test the round to make sure it sits properly at the lock up or back of the chamber. Then I make sure that it fits in the magazine and will cycle by hand. You can see how the reload should sit by using a factory round that you know works in your gun.

thumbs
07-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks. I am using jacketed round nose bullets now. Those boys ain't cheap. How much do you figure the lead bullets are a piece. My jrn are about .10 cents..

I will try your test tonight.

The good news is I got to shoot the cm this morning with Fedral factory ammo. I ran 50 rounds through it and it ran flawlessly! I then ran 50 rounds of my reloads that I shortened the oal on and the ran much better not good but much better than yesterday. They were 1.150 in length. I will load the next batch shorter, 1.125 or 1.130 and see how they run. Now I know, or am pretty sure the factory stuff works. My reloads were the same length but I did have some failures. Not sure why. It may just be the bullets are just a little different and need a shorter oal.

MW surveyor
07-26-2011, 03:11 PM
The 9 mm run $29.00 per 500 or $58.00 per thousand without shipping. I usually order 500 or 1000 rounds of 9 mm, 357 and 45 cal each time for a flat rate shipping of $15.00 per 60 pounds. Lets call it $63.00 then for 1000 rounds of 9 mm or $0.063 per round.

Make sure that your taper crimp is enough to hold the bullet and also the shape of the round plays a big part. If you are setting too deep you may be trying to taper crimp on the ogive. If the round is too long, the mouth of the casing may not be making contact with the front of the chamber. They only way you can test this is by removing the barrel from your gun and inserting one of your reloads.

thumbs
07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks

I just loaded and reseated about 50 rounds. I checked the bullets in the barrel and check it out with a factory Federal round. They look the same to me. I set the oal to 1.135 or very close. I also used a med crimp on the cartrage. I then racked them through by hand and they seemed fine.

Like I said before the factory Federals ran without a problem.

MW surveyor
07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
As long as your reloads "plonked" in and you can turn the case without any binding, you should be good to go.

BTW - are you using a separate die for the taper crimp? I use the Lee taper crimp dies and do about a 3/4 to one full turn after contact with the bullet nose for my taper crimps. I also do a push test on the side of the bench to make sure that I got the crimp right. Light/moderate pressure on the head of the bullet against the side of the bench, then remeasure the COL. If it moved, crimp a bit tighter. JMTC YMMV

thumbs
07-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Still playin a bit with the loads. I took a batch of reloads out today to give them a try. The oal was 1.135 using 4.3 gr of Wincheser 231. Well it ran very well. One stove pipe in 50 rounds. A lot better than at the beginning. Now I still have a little hitch though. The slide never held open on the last round with these rounds. I put a box of factory Federals through it and the slide held open on every mag. I think my reloads are a little soft. The book says they should be at 1010 fps while the Federals are 1125 fps. I can definitely feel the difference in the two. I'm gonna up the powder a bit, still within spec, and try goin back to 1.150 oal and see what happens. This "should" bring me very close to factory Federals.

We will see tomorrow.

thumbs
07-28-2011, 09:02 PM
MW

I got your message in my email about a reply on the forum but when I go to the forum I don't have your message there. Anyway I read it in my email.

Yeah in my Lee book it says 4.8 grains so thats pretty close.

I think your right about the spring. It does really feels stiff. Well I guess that could be good or bad. Anyway looks like I gotta up my powder. I'm gonna go to 4.6 grains. Still under max. It will be interesting to see what happens. I am hoping 1.150 will work. Maybe from the start the loads were just a touch light.

Tilos
07-28-2011, 09:13 PM
thumbs...more powder

Tilos

MW surveyor
07-29-2011, 04:33 AM
thumbs - Wow, it is interesting that you got an email. I had deleted the post as I was unsure of exactly what 115 grain you were loading. In any event, more powder should not hurt anything as long as you keep it below the max.

thumbs
07-29-2011, 03:08 PM
yeah I got the notice of a reply to the thread. When I went there couldn't find it. I thought it was me. LOL Anyway I read it. I am using Berry's 115 bullets. I was told I can load them as copper plated or jrn.

Ok I was goin to let you know anyway. I got out and fired 50 of the rounds I made up last night. 115 Berry's rn with 4.6 grains of w231 with an oal of 1.147 to 1.150. I went back to the Federal oal but increased my powder a bit, .3 grains.

Now for the results. PERFECT the Kahr ran flawlessly. Not a hiccup and the slide held open after the last round was fired with each mag. Really the only problem I had with the cm9 was self inflicted. It was my reloads not being strong enough to work the slide. I do think I have a pretty strong spring in the cm. It just needed a little more power. Anyway she shot great. Now I can concentrate on learning how to shoot her. Oh and now I can appreciate the trigger on the cm9. Probably the best trigger I have ever shot, stock that is.

MW surveyor
07-30-2011, 04:45 AM
I've made a few of those "single shot" rounds for semi-auto :( .

Good to read that you've got the "problem" corrected. How did they shoot (aim wise) for you?

I'd be willing to bet that if you ordered the 5 lb striker spring from Wolff and installed it, you'd like the trigger even more. I haven't had a light strike with it in a bout 1200 rounds and jocko's gun has gone more than 32,000 without any problems.

thumbs
07-30-2011, 07:16 AM
MW

I am headed out the door but I wanted to ask ya what you use as a SD round? I know they are probably all pretty good but just askin. I will check my email on my phone if you write back early. If not I will get back to ya later. Thanks

MW surveyor
07-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Good luck on the new round shoot'n.

I use 147 grain HSTs at the moment. What I had left over from the ones that I have in the Phantom. Probably go with gold dots or just plain old hollow points. I'm not too big on specialized ammo. Figure that if it makes holes and runs the gun.....

Now in my 357 magnum, I carry 158 grain semi jacketed lead flat nose. Heck, the noise and fire along will probably give someone a really bad day.

thumbs
07-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks. I was out and picked up a box of Federal Premium 124 Personal Defense. I don't know if they are good or bad but that's what I got. I guess the big thing is do they cycle in the cm.

I tried to ask you in another post where the best place to get magazines for the cm would be? I have looked around but its not easy to find what is really a Kahr mag. I know I can get them from Kahr but they are just to expensive. I was looking for a vender that had them at a discount.

Tilos
07-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Cheaper Than Dirt has kahr mags, cheaper than what kahr sells them for.
Tilos

Quickdraw
07-30-2011, 10:41 PM
I picked up a few mags from http://www.calssportingarmory.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Kahr+arms+MK9+magazines&Search.x=13&Search.y=11

MW surveyor
07-31-2011, 05:03 AM
I bought mine at my LGS when I got the CW9. Cheaper than Kahr by a good margin.

thumbs
07-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks again

Now since I am new to Kahr, are the mags I need th mk620 mags. I think they are the right ones.

Funny there are a bunch of shops around here and they carry Kahrs but none of them have mags.

MW surveyor
07-31-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure on the proper mag for the CM9. I'd expect they use the same as the PM9. Take a look at the Kahr shop. It will tell you what kind that you need. Also, I believe that the majority of the 9 mm mags are pretty well multi fit but don't take that to the bank!

thumbs
07-31-2011, 12:28 PM
I found on another list they said the cm mag was mk620 for the six round and the mk720 was the seven round.

Checked out the Kahr site and they are the same numbers.