PDA

View Full Version : Self protection of course with Kahr gun

LaVere
09-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Your first responsibility is to defend and protect yourself with the tools at hand.

Your second responsibility is to defend and protect
your family and loved ones with the tools at hand.

You first priority is to get the proper tools and learn them very well.

Your second priority is have that tool with you when you need to exercise your first and second responsibility.

I just choose to have a very good tool and use it well.

Author Me

PAPPY11x4
09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Personal protection is personal responsibility and I choose to carry out that personal responsibility with a K40, one of the first 200 made. It is my favorite concealed carry piece and it travels with me each and every day except while hunting (in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania it is illegal to carry and/or hunt with a semi-auto handgun or rifle). I have a nice collection of Ruger handguns and rifles, but my Kahr is my choice for concealed carry. My choice self defense ammo is Glaser with CorBon 125 grain JHP in one spare mag and Black Talons in the other spare mag...just for "heavy work". As I am getting a little older and the eyes are not as sharp or as quick to focus as they were in my younger years, I believe that soon I will add laser grips to my K40, as well as to my dearly beloved's Ruger SP 101.

dragonrider
09-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey Pappy,
I think that if you have a concealed carry permit you can now carry your concealed weapon of choice while hunting in our great state of PA

WMD
10-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Pappy,

I also have a Ruger SP101 in 357 with a 3 inch barrel. Great gun! One of the few revolvers that I will keep as long as I am breathing. It can be a bit on the heavy side when carrying but is a great all around gun.

Dietrich
10-10-2009, 04:22 PM
LaVere,you have written words to live by.Well done.

Diocoles
10-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Remember to practice weak hand as well as strong.
Practice loading and clearing one handed.
You just never know.

RiskPro
12-15-2009, 10:03 PM
I think these guys have some pretty good tenents and thought you might like them as well:

FirearmsTactical.com - Home (http://www.firearmstactical.com/index.htm)

Four Rules of Firearms Safety

Always regard and handle any firearm as though it is loaded, at all times.

Always keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you have made the decision to shoot.

Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

Always be sure of your target and what is beyond.

Five Rules for CONCEALED Carry

Your concealed handgun is for protection of life only.

Draw it solely in preparation to protect yourself or an innocent third party from the wrongful and life-threatening criminal actions of another.

Know exactly when you can use your gun.

A criminal adversary must have, or reasonably appear to have:

the ability to inflict serious bodily injury (he is armed or reasonably appears to be armed with a deadly weapon),

the opportunity to inflict serious bodily harm (he is physically positioned to harm you with his weapon), and

his intent (hostile actions or words) indicates that he means to place you in jeopardy -- to do you serious or fatal physical harm.

When all three of these "attack potential" elements are in place simultaneously, then you are facing a reasonably perceived deadly threat that can justify an emergency deadly force response.

If you can run away -- RUN!

Just because you’re armed doesn’t necessarily mean you must confront a bad guy at gunpoint. Develop your "situation awareness" skills so you can be alert to detect and avoid trouble altogether. Keep in mind that if you successfully evade a potential confrontation, the single negative consequence involved might be your bruised ego, which should heal with mature rationalization. But if you force a confrontation you risk the possibility of you or a family member being killed or suffering lifelong crippling/disfiguring physical injury, criminal liability and/or financial ruin from civil lawsuit. Flee if you can, fight only as a last resort.

Display your gun, go to jail.

You should e

xpect to be arrested by police at gunpoint, and be charged with a crime anytime your concealed handgun is seen by another citizen in public, regardless of how unintentional or innocent or justified the situation might seem. Choose a method of carry that keeps your gun reliably hidden from public view at all times.

You have no control over how a stranger will react to seeing (or learning about) your concealed handgun. He or she might become alarmed and report you to police as a "man or woman with a gun." Depending on his or her feelings about firearms, this person might be willing to maliciously embellish his or her story in attempt to have your gun seized by police or to get you arrested. An alarmed citizen who reports a "man with a gun" is going to be more credible to police than you when you're stopped because you match the suspect's description, and you're found to have a concealed handgun in your possession.
Before you deliberately expose your gun in public, ask yourself: "Is this worth going to jail for?" The only time this question should warrant a "yes" response is when an adversary has at least, both ability and intent, and is actively seeking the opportunity to do you great harm.

Don't let your emotions get the best of you.

If, despite your best efforts to the contrary, you do get into some kind of heated dispute with another person while you’re armed, never mention, imply or exhibit your gun for the purpose of intimidation or one-upmanship. You’ll simply make a bad situation worse -- for yourself (see rule #4).

jocko
12-16-2009, 05:40 AM
Hey Pappy,
I think that if you have a concealed carry permit you can now carry your concealed weapon of choice while hunting in our great state of PA

n the great state of INDIANA, WHERE WE ALSL HAVE LIFETIME CCW PERMITS

THAT ABOVE ONE OF 5 THINGS ABOUT CARRYING display your gun and go to jail. THAT DOES NOT HOLD TRUE IN indiana. NO DOUBT ONE WILL GET CHALLENGED BY THE POLICE BUT IT IS LEGAL, It is stupid in my opinion to display but we have some macho rambo's t hat think they are really important.

500KV
12-16-2009, 06:06 AM
THAT ABOVE ONE OF 5 THINGS ABOUT CARRYING display your gun and go to jail. THAT DOES NOT HOLD TRUE IN indiana. NO DOUBT ONE WILL GET CHALLENGED BY THE POLICE BUT IT IS LEGAL, It is stupid in my opinion to display but we have some macho rambo's t hat think they are really important.
Quite right about keeping that thing concealed.
And quite right about being able to open carry; legal in several states.
My state has simply a carry permit, open or concealed, but I think concealed is definitely the way to go. ;)

ltxi
12-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah, they were doing a half way decent job of restating common sense until they got to that "Display your gun, go to jail." bit. Intentional display is one thing. Unintentional display, especially if not careless, is quite another.

Dogman
12-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Your first responsibility is to defend and protect yourself with the tools at hand.

Your second responsibility is to defend and protect
your family and loved ones with the tools at hand.

You first priority is to get the proper tools and learn them very well.

Your second priority is have that tool with you when you need to exercise your first and second responsibility.

I just choose to have a very good tool and use it well.

Author Me For myself
I would have to change the order of responsibility, as a husband and father my first responsibility is to protect and defend my wife and children first. JMO

medezyner
12-19-2009, 06:26 AM
I agree Dogman, my protection instincts as a father & husband would over-ride my self-preservation instincts. I think one of the reasons for it being your “first responsibility” may have parallels with airplane oxygen mask. Put on yours first, so that you can assist your childrens/wife. If you go down, you’re no good to them. That may sound good on paper, but the problem with that thinking is when the SHTF, you do what’s in your heart not what’s in your head. I for one will take that chance and defend my family and loved ones before I worry about defending myself first.

wyntrout
12-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Well said, medezyner. I was thinking about what to say and your analogy fits all the training I've had with oxygen masks and gas masks. You have to insure that you STAY able to help the others.
Wynn

jocko
12-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Ol tiger woods would need a machine gun to defend all his "loved" ones.