PDA

View Full Version : Priners

getsome
07-27-2011, 05:59 PM
I was loading some .44 specials last night and I only have a single stage Redding press and I use it to install primers....I have one of those Lee hand priming tools but to me it's easier to use the press...In my other recent thread: Good intentions, Bad idea I had some misfires and since I had used a wad in all those and have never had another non firing situation before or since I am still thinking the wad was the problem but my question it this, Is it possible to damage a primer by pressing it in to far or too hard? I whack um pretty good in the press to be sure they seat all the way but started to wonder if that might cause a primer failure (not going off in the press) but not firing the round? What do ya'll more experienced loaders think?...Thanks as always...

Scimmia
07-27-2011, 06:15 PM
AFAIK, the only way to damage them would be to bend the anvil or knock it out completely. I suppose if you crushed them in the primer pockets, it could bend the anvil, but it's not something I've seen with any normal priming tool.

Bawanna
07-27-2011, 07:05 PM
I doubt you wack em hard enough to damage them. Take some of the questionable culprits, load em and shoot em, see if they go bang, load 6 and scare the heck out of the neighbors or something, I'm sure you can think up something mischievous to make good use of this test.

OldLincoln
07-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Heck I watched a UTube where a guy reloaded primers with matchsticks. They must not be as mysterious as I thought. As for pressing them too hard, not likely. The guy I saw reassembled the primer by inserting the anvil first them the primer body and finally squeezing the dickens out of them to make it fit flush.

garyb
07-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I'M far from an experienced reloader (1st year rookie), but I have not had any misfires nor problems to speak of, so far. I have crushed a primer because the shell was cocked or off center in the plate. Otherwise it's been a flawless process to the bang and alot of fun reloading.

I saw the match end priming video too. Very interesting, but probably not something I'd try until Uncle Sam takes away our ammo. Just ordered 5,000 primers from a local private/home gun dealer referred to me by my trainer. Good prices. No hazardous materials charges.

recoilguy
07-28-2011, 03:20 PM
When I first started loading I was apprehensive about pushing the primers too hard. I actually set the primer too light and had what appeared to be light strikes that were actually the firing pin pushing the primer the rest of the way in. After a couple embarassments on the course I have never pushed "too soft" on the primers again.

RCG