PDA

View Full Version : Hex grips screws

REACT
12-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Kahrshop,

Is it possible to offer stainless steel hex head grip screws in your store for our one stop Kahr shopping needs?

Modified K9 wood grips - Glock Talk (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068930)

Thanks

medezyner
12-28-2009, 05:47 AM
REACT, check out this website:
Socket products, Socket flat head screws, Stainless steel 18-8 (http://www.boltdepot.com/dimension.aspx?cc=13&cs=73&cm=6)
I've purchased through these guys. There is no minimum purchase.

REACT
12-28-2009, 07:50 AM
medezyner,

Thanks for the link. What size did you order? I'm too lazy to figure out the mm to inch conversion.

I just figured that it would be nice for the Kahrshop to offer the screws too so if I decide to upgrade my grips to wood someday I can also order nicer screws and save on shipping costs.

medezyner
12-28-2009, 08:55 AM
I've ordered fasteners through them for other projects, nothing for the Kahr. Not sure what thread is used on the grips, 6-32?

cmichael
12-31-2009, 05:55 AM
I need one too, for my K40 rubber grip, what size do I need?

In-Yo-Grill
01-05-2010, 07:44 AM
and asked what the size of the grip screws were for the MK9 and unfortunately they couldn't answer my question. It doesn't list the size in the parts area.

Rotty37
01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
What I did was I got a set of Swenson Grip Screws Torx Head from Midwayusa.com and grinding the length of the original stock screws and it came out pretty good.

Swenson Grip Screws Torx Head 1911 Stainless Steel Package of 4 - MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=685831)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/Rotty37/Mk40Elite2003small.jpg

steve666
01-05-2010, 12:12 PM
The ones for a 1911 with thin grip panels fit fine.:spider:

medezyner
01-06-2010, 05:45 AM
The ones for a 1911 with thin grip panels fit fine.:spider:

If grip screws for a 1911 fit the Kahr then they are .150-50 x .25
That's not what you'd call a "standard" size thread (UNC or UNF)
Brownells carriers a good selection: Brownells Search : Search Results for "grip screws" - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=grip+screws/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=grip_screws)

In-Yo-Grill
01-06-2010, 08:00 AM
I appreciate the info. I'm going to order mine from Brownells and report my findings.

jocko
01-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Just remember that those grip screws on the right side MUST be tight. If they loosen um, which my wood grips seems to want to let happen on my K9 where as they never moved withthe facotry rubber gips. Anyway if thost two screws lossen um harldy any, you might get light strikers or FTF (failure to fire). this is because the grip actually is responsible for holding tha trigger bar in correct position andif the grip is loose the trigger bar will get out of position and therefore out of time.. Not sure I want to recommend any locktite either, as in a through cleaning , one will want to remove the wood grips and any thread sealer cold give issues.. Just be aware. It is not a major thing but something to watch for..

Kent Shopley
01-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Ill be looking into carrying those on Kahrshop. It may take a little time, but we like the idea. Thanks

REACT
01-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Ill be looking into carrying those on Kahrshop. It may take a little time, but we like the idea. Thanks

That's great. Thanks.

In-Yo-Grill
01-11-2010, 02:34 PM

It's nice knowing our voice is being heard. Many thanks...

ripley16
09-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Did this ever come to pass, hex head screws stocked at Kahr's on-line shop? I don't see them offered yet.

Am I correct in understanding that 1911 slim screws fit the Kahr line without any alteration?

Bawanna
09-30-2010, 09:17 AM
1911 screws fit, not sure the slim line works without modification. If I haven't mentioned it before when you got wood grips and the screws work lose I put a tiny little rubber o ring on the screw. It flattens out when tight and it's like a rubber grip, seems to keep them from coming loose. Para does that from the factory, guess they invented the idea so I can't take credit for it. I did invent the internet.

quikduk
10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Locktite makes thread locker as most of you know. The standard #242 (blue) and #271 (red) are designed to be applied to the fastener before assembly.

The blue works fairly well but there are others that stay on the bolt better without becoming brittle over time.

This company makes and sells direct competitors to the Loctite brand at better prices and more product.

Palm Labs Threadlockers (http://www.palmlabsthreadlockers.com/default)

You could even follow the link here for a free sample.

Palm Labs Threadlockers: Purple Removable - Small Screws up to ¼" (http://palmlabsthreadlockers.com/thread_locker_products/turbo-lock-anaerobic-thread-locker-purple)

Some of the bolts I take off of my vehicles appear to have a thread locking compound on them that is semi-bonded to the threads allowing multiple removal/replacement attempts as required. I am not sure who produces it but it could be worth looking into.

dusty10
10-11-2010, 04:43 AM
After reading this thread, I tried the hex head grips screws off my DW CBOB on my K9 and they are the right thread size but the screws are too long and would interfere with the mag. I guess you could grind them off to right length. Holding them with something without maring the heads would be your main obstacle. They do look cool though. I see Midway has them made by Wilson or Ed Brown.

DMR
10-15-2010, 06:59 AM

Thanks,

I might be more interested in them if they matched the current Torx Driver's you offer. That would mean one tool to service my T-9's vs. two.

Thanks

OldLincoln
10-15-2010, 04:04 PM
If you can get them I suggest putting a nut or two on the screw before grinding. It helps to hold the screw straight so it doesn't flip up and it helps the threads that get bungled during the grinding.

Bawanna
10-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Ok, we need a nut or two here. Any volunteers?

Bawanna
10-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Oh you crack me up! Timing is everything.

Do we have one more?

jlottmc
10-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Sure why not.

DMR
10-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Just installed a set of Ed Brown Slim line hex head 1911 grip screws on my T-9. Easy as pie. I ordered them from Brownells:

087-000-059 SS SLIM ALLEN HEAD GRIP SCREWS 4 PK

http://pro-patria.us/Pistol/T9hexscrew.gif

REACT
01-06-2011, 08:52 AM

It's been (almost) a year now, any progress on the screws?

DasFriek
01-27-2011, 05:35 AM
React- Ive not heard or seen anything as i went threw a self caused fiasco with screws last month when i bought my wood MK9 grips which imo should come with new screws.

As of yet buying 1911 grip screws still is the best option and you need to sand them down 1-2mm so they don't drag against the magazine.

But i did find not all 1911 screws are the same when you have to put alot of tension on them and then locktite them as ive broken many heads off just trying to loosen screws.
I found the Ebay seller for Fusion firearms and their grips screws have yet to snap a head and ive put tons of torture on several sets.
http://shop.ebay.com/whitetail1911/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
I like the Torx sets for some reason.

REACT
01-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the info, DasFriek. I'm sure that our Kahr brethren will like to know all of their options when it comes to these screws. I just thought it would be convenient for our fellow Kahr owners if Kahrshop sold non-rusting, stainless steel, hex screws in the correct size along with their grips instead of going through all of the hassle of finding the rights screws like you did and then paying for separate S&H from somewhere else.

I envisioned, in addition to selling them separately, that Kahrshop could have a $5-10 upgrade option for SS hex screws when someone buys a set of their grips and toss them in the shipping container without adding S&H for the four screws.

FYI, I bought a set of SS hex screws shortly after I started this thread over a year ago. I knew that this would probably take a while, so I didn't hold off buying screws even though those four little screws cost $17 after S&H.

jocko
01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
DMR; did you have to do any trimming on those Ed brwon screws.. They look awesome, nice photo also sure helps alot when one can see what your talking about.

photoman12001
03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
I bought the Ed Brown slim line screws for my MK9 but they protrude too far into the magazine well and bind the maganzine. I tried various washers. #60 o-rings seemed to get me the closest to the correct fit but they still protruded a little too much when torqued to a reasonable amount. I was really disappointed because they looked great. Maybe I'll get out the Dremel some day. Sigh.

Jeff00042
03-29-2011, 02:39 PM
I ordered the Ed Brown slim grip 1911 hex screws from Brownells and they worked just fine on my K9 Elite.

RUT
03-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah, thanks for the heads up.... I ordered mine from Brownell's today. :)