PDA

View Full Version : Is the USCCA for real

Too Tall Todd
08-07-2011, 02:59 PM
I was told about "concealed carry magazine" which appears to be a part of the USCCA or "US concealed carry association" I looked them up on the net and they have a really slick rather high pressure presentation. Is this group legitimate or is this a scam to get conciderable bucks out of unsuspecting ccw carriers. It is certainly a good idea if they are on the level. Any input you guys and gals might have is appreciated. Thanks T3

LaP
08-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I had a subscription to their magazine a few years ago. The mag is geared towards the beginner concealed carrier. The articles are straight forward and basic. Nothing wrong with that.... I just didn't fit the audience and stopped membership after one year.
It's not really an association... it's just a membership to a magazine and they put you on their e-mail list. It is legit.

Too Tall Todd
08-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the response, they now have some form of tiered carry insurance that covers you in the case of a justifiable shoot. Offering from 75k to 300k civil and somewhat less for criminal. I believe that it with the mag run from about $60 to $300 a year. This is why I was questioning them. Do you have any experience with this?

TheTman
08-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm a member, I enjoy the magazine, particularly their product reviews and armed citizen stories. And there is usually a section on tactics and stuff. A lot is geared for the beginner, I find reviewing them does no harm. My homeowners policy does cover me some if I use a weapon in self defense as long as I acted responsibly.
I am thinking about purchasing the mid-level self defense insurance as additional protection. I worked for an insurance company for almost 20 years and seen how they like to weasle out of a claim if they can. They are the biggest racket in the country next to Lawyers and some medical establishments, like the pain management clinics where some anesthesioligist gives you a shot it the spine, then charges your insurance 20k for 15 minutes of work and 2 dollars worth of steroids. I did have to use my homeowners once to cover a small fire, lucky I was home and able to put it out, Had some smoke damage and a needed a new breaker box which they paid for after I met my deductable, My point being that I trust my insurance company to a point, I just couldn't get my agent to nail down all the particulars of my self defense coverage, so am thinking about the USCCA policy as backup, or possibly primary coverage.
They do seem a little aggresive in their marketing of the coverage, I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt and think that he truly believes it's great product and desirable to have to cover the cost of hiring a GOOD attorney to save your butt if you have to defend yourself in court. I think some might depend if you live in a gun friendly state like Texas or even Kansas, or in some of the libtard state where they think it's better someone gets beat to death rather than defend themselves with gun. I think I'd have it or something comparable for sure If I lived in any of the larger cites where the libtards are usually in control of local govt. DA, Police Chief, and all the folks that can make your life miserable. Here I'm not so worried about the DA, it's the scumbag's family suing in civil court that worries me. The opposing Attorney will paint a picture of a guy just on the verge of turning his life around and what a choirboy he was, and desperate times drove him to commit this one and only criminal act, blah blah blah, and how you brutally murdered him in cold blood over a $20 dollar bill in your pocket or whatever, makes me SICK. I'm not an attorney, but even if the guy has a rap sheet a mile long I don't think you can introduce that as evidence that the guy was a scumbag. The courts seem to make it a point to make it as hard to defend yourself as possible.
I think this happens often enough to make a guy wonder if he needs the protection. They do point out that if you are going to CC, then you should have a GOOD lawyer on retainer, I believe they spent a good amount of time on that in my CC class. They also print out some neat little cards that instruct you how to conduct yourself in a situation, and on the back is a note to the Police telling them you wish to cooperate as much as possible, but make no statements until you've talked with your attorney, since you are in such an emotional state, and it asks them to show you the same courtesy they would a fellow cop involved in a shooting. I don't know if that would do any good, but might not hurt. I suppose having the card could be used against you, like the DA/opposing Attorney saying you had that card, you were ready to murder someone. I definately think it cannot hurt you to have the coverage, and could save you a lot of misery and money. Of course they have horror stories of Attorney's wanting tens of thousands of dollars to defend you in court, civil or criminal. That's probably not too far off for a good attorney. I certainly wouldn't want some court appointed bimbo handling my case if it went to criminal court.
So yes, I believe they are legit, perhaps the marketing is a little overboard, but I truly believe that they think they are offering a great product at a fair price that no CC permit holder should be without, or have something similiar. There are other companies that offer the same type insurance. You might get a better deal shopping around. Right now being a member, I'm getting offers to purchase the coverage in 4 payments that is sounding very attractive. I think the package I want, the middle level, is $167 a year. Once they did offer an investment opportunity, but I think they got a lot of negative feedback about that and have quit that.

Too Tall Todd
08-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Thank you Thetmanski! That was what I was looking to hear, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. And I do live in the people's republic of california so if I'm not a criminal I most certainly will be treated as public enemy #1

Rainman48314
09-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Thank you Thetmanski! That was what I was looking to hear, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. And I do live in the people's republic of california so if I'm not a criminal I most certainly will be treated as public enemy #1
Bought the membership and the Defense Shield Gold level, almost $200 per year. There is a usefull website with reports and stories. I get frequent email I skim and ignore. If you want spam, get on Frontsights mailing list.