PDA

View Full Version : Free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes

DriveMyKahr
08-16-2011, 12:32 PM
The idea is for these countries to start from scratch-- of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

Ready to take the plunge?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/silicon-valley-billionaire-funding-creation-artificial-libertarian-islands-140840896.html

Dietrich
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
I`d be a liar if I said it wasn`t an attractive idea but I would need much,much more information. Plus, I`m too old to go off on such an adventure [Helen says so].Now if I were a younger,single man...

wyntrout
08-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Kind of small and with a wayward tanker possibly striking it accidentally, or otherwise, it looks quite precarious... weather, rogue waves, tsunamis, pirates, or any number of other things... a small anthill out in the ocean?? If you want to live like an ant or termite, sounds interesting, but who makes and enforces the rules??

No thanks. If I had the money to afford living there, I could buy a chunk of remote real estate and build my independently-powered dream bunker to hang onto my stuff when the SHTF!

Wynn:D

Wynn

JFootin
08-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Would exclusively be rich people living there. A juicy target for pirates! :eek:

TucsonMTB
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah, you'll need more than a shotgun hanging behind the bedroom door . . .

I suspect most of the people who have the money to fund all of the necessary site hardening and staff to run it already have land based refuges.

OldLincoln
08-16-2011, 02:34 PM
With the US claims of a 200 Mile ownership, how can someone plant an island nation on a floating platform within those waters? Seems like the Caribbean with several nations having intersecting lines would be more logical.

There is another option of the huge ship condos with an airport on top designed to always travel following the good seasonal weather. Gotta be mega-rich tho.

Finally, I doubt if more than 50 Libertarians would get along together since their premise is for no one telling them what to do. "Jope, it's your turn to take out the garbage." "The hell it is! Nobody tells ME what to do!"

TucsonMTB
08-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Finally, I doubt if more than 50 Libertarians would get along together . . .
Hey, it seems to be working just fine in Congress . . . :behindsofa:

Longitude Zero
08-16-2011, 04:25 PM
If you do not have a net worth exceeding 7 figures do not waste your time. It is only for the super rich.

O'Dell
08-16-2011, 04:46 PM
With the US claims of a 200 Mile ownership, how can someone plant an island nation on a floating platform within those waters? Seems like the Caribbean with several nations having intersecting lines would be more logical.

There is another option of the huge ship condos with an airport on top designed to always travel following the good seasonal weather. Gotta be mega-rich tho.

Finally, I doubt if more than 50 Libertarians would get along together since their premise is for no one telling them what to do. "Jope, it's your turn to take out the garbage." "The hell it is! Nobody tells ME what to do!"

I've never heard a claim of 200 mile ownership. If so, we'd have the Bahamas and Cuba. At some time during the 'cold war', we may have had a restriction on submarines approaching our coast because of the lack of reaction time for first strike missiles, but not ownership. To my knowledge, we've always supported the 12 mile limit.

I've been a Libertarian for years, and we do accept a limited government, just not one that controls every aspect of our lives. Basically, we support the Constitution and it's descriptions and restrictions of the powers of the federal government. You're right though, we do tend to be individualists and not support the group mentality. That's probably why the movement will never go very far - we can't organize.