PDA

View Full Version : Federal cracking down

OldLincoln
08-17-2011, 10:49 AM
I just received this email from Kyle's Gunshop. I've always wondered about them selling Federal ammo that is supposed to be for law agencies only, so I stocked up quite a while back.

This is FYI only, but if HST is your favorite ammo you may want to get some from your vendor soon.
============================
WE HAVE JUST RECEIVED WORD FROM OUR SUPPLIER THAT FEDERAL IS CRACKING DOWN ON RETAILERS WHO ARE SELLING THEIR LAW ENFORCEMENT AMMUNITION ONLINE!

We have been asked to remove all Federal HST from our website and we have complied with this request. We don't have a whole lot in stock at the moment anyway, but we have a bunch on order and the fact that we sell it online is jeopardizing our ability to get product in. We will still have Federal HST available, but we can only take phone orders at this time. Please call us for pricing and availability or to place an order. 513-407-9095

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, when this whole thing blows over in a couple of months we will have it available online again.
=====================

TheTman
08-17-2011, 12:57 PM
What is the difference between the Federal HST, and Federal Premium Home Protection using HST technology? And just because it saws for LEO only, doesn't neccessarily mean its the absolute best there is.

JFootin
08-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks, OldLincoln. I got me a couple of boxes of 124 grain.

MrToad
08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Huh, I'll have to check that out. They're only about 15 minutes from me.

OldLincoln
08-17-2011, 04:21 PM
thetmanski (http://kahrtalk.com/member.php?u=3694), the HST is faster with more energy. From the testing I've seen it is more consistent in fully expanding especially through clothing. The bullet in HydraShok has a center post that may foul on clothing while the HST is open. The HST has slits running about 3/4 down the bullet and the HS may not (it's been a while since I've see the HS). All that aside, either should get the job done, I just got carried away and selected HST.

Premium Home Defense (http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=393)

HST (http://le.atk.com/ballistics/Ammo_Ballistics.aspx?id=579&firearm=2&bc=0.15&muzzvel=1150&bulletwgt=124)

TheTman
08-17-2011, 05:11 PM
I think this "for LEO use only" is a bunch of malarkey. Just because someone has a badge, does that make his life more valuable than mine? Certainly not to my children and friends. I think this flys against everything the 2nd admendment was meant to uphold. I do want our LEO's armed with the best they can get, but I find it very offensive that a lawfully licensed CC permit holder cannot get certain premium ammunition. I think the whole idea behind these ammos are to keep them out of the bad-guy's hands, and agree with that, but I believe as a CC permit holder, with probably better background check than some LEOs, I think I should be allowed to protect myself with the same ammo as a LEO. To me it is too much like police-state eliteism to restrict ammo sales to people who may or may not be as competent with their firearm as some civilians. It could very easily evolve into a situation where only LEOs can buy hollow point bullets. I believe New Jersey is currently this way already.
I've dealt with a few small town jerks with a badge that I wouldn't trust with anything more powerful than a bb gun. Youtube is full of videos of out of control LEO's that would scare the hell out of me were I to encounter one. Fortunately, I believe this is a very small percentage of the LEO community as a whole, most LEOs I've encountered have been very competent and professional, and often when they see I have a CC permit, they become very friendly and less "on guard". I'd say the Highway Patrol of most states are the most professional, and often some of the kindest people I've ever met, followed by most of the LEOs employed in the larger cities. Of course a few bad apples get onto the larger forces, but they seem the exception rather than the rule. Then there are the rookies, and you just don't know what to expect with them. In the city near here, most are required to train with an old timer, except for the motorcycle cops, one of which I encountered and he was a total horses a$$ with a big chip on his shoulder. I didn't signal to change lanes or something petty, with no other cars in sight, and you'd have thought I was on the most wanted list by the way he treated me. I'd had two beers, but passed the breathylizer, and he still had me out doing all kinds of crazy crap, trying to prove I was drunk. I was never so glad to get away from someone in all my life when he finally let me go. Sorry for the rant, this is just a sore point with me.

jocko
08-17-2011, 05:25 PM
becauseone is a copp, does not mean they cannot be an *******, as u well know, we all have one. I normally see the macho cop in these small towns more than Highway patrol people.
they do seemto0be more educated. A college degree is needed to apply for the Indiana State police program. at least they can count. We have some real Barney Fife's in my home town but again we are under 5000 and my newspaper person makes more money than they do, so sometimesd we get what we deserve.

As much as I ride my Harley in all states, I have never been pulled over by a motorcycle cop.

BEARDOG
08-17-2011, 06:21 PM
I think all this LEO only ammo crap from the manufactures is just like everything else in this country... pure GREED $$$ They sell the same stuff, maybe throw a new name like "bla bla defense" on it then pack it in 20 rd boxes and sell it to Joe civilian for the same price as a 50 box of LEO only. It's B.S.!

TheTman
08-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Jocko, I never had a bike cop pull me over either. But usually when we break the law, it's for a reason, like getting a pack of bikes around a big rig, we may be hitting 90-100, but you want to get around those trucks fast, and those bike cops know that. I'd sure hate to be beside one those big rigs when a retread comes off, damn, I think I just crapped myself a little just thinking about it. Don't you just hate them doubles and triples?
I don't remember the last time I got pulled over by any cop on the bike. With that hard mount on the soft tail, it's a much better ride just cruisin around 65 or so.
You ever hear of anyone making a rubber mount for those? I been looking for years and never found one. You'd think someone would come up with something.

Beardog, that makes a lot of sense. I'd put money down on you being right on.

Longitude Zero
08-18-2011, 08:15 AM
As an LEO I can tell you I believe it is more marketing hoopla than actual reality. I have shot virtually every brand of LEO only ammo and their "regular" stuff. What differences I have seen are miniscule. LEO only ammo tends to be more consistent in performance and that is all I have noticed.

It is a pretty sneaky way for the ammo companies to charge a premium price.

Pricing aside I use Federal almost exclusively except for Hornady's TAP rounds in my AR.

FreeJersey
09-01-2011, 05:58 PM
It could very easily evolve into a situation where only LEOs can buy hollow point bullets. I believe New Jersey is currently this way already.

Not quite that bad yet. HP are fine to purchase, own, and use in NJ. They are only illegal if used in the commition of a crime, basically an add on charge.

wyntrout
09-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Dang! I drive a full-sized GMC van and I don't want to waste any time getting by one of those BIG RIGs. Have you ever seen one just all of a sudden swerve back and forth a bit!? :eek:

It really pisses me off when idiots slow down just to the left rear and SLOWLY inch along beside them! I hate "formation driving" and try to stay away from everyone else! I want room to maneuver if something happens.

I know the rules and I don't show weakness when it comes to right-of-way. I'm trying to get where I'm going as quickly AND as safely as possible... and letting some slow driver in front of me doesn't make sense... then I'll have to pass THEM.

My wife slows down if she thinks someone MIGHT want to move in front of us. I don't slow down but I'm ready and expect the worst... no signal and suddenly pulling over in front of us. It happens all of the time, BUT I DON"T invite them!... or hang back because they MIGHT want to get in front of us!:rolleyes:

Wynn:)

10Kahrs
09-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah, sounds like a bunch of BS!

JFootin
09-02-2011, 07:19 AM
A few years ago, I was headed South on I-85 in Northern Georgia. There are several miles of long rolling hills and valleys along that stretch. I was in the left lane behind a little tiny car, like a Ford Fiesta or something, doing a pretty good clip. We came alongside a truck that we were passing JUST as we reached the start of one of those long hillclimbs. The truck had been approaching the truck ahead of it at about 1/4 m.p.h. and didn't want to lose his momentum. So, he starts dangerously swerving side to side, the trailer coming over 2 or 3 feet into our lane, forcing us over onto the thin shoulder on the left (there was no emergency lane on that side of the road). We managed to slow down and keep our cars from wrecking, and the truck moved over to try and pass the truck he had just caught up with. Well, he couldn't do that because of the hill, slowed to about 45 m.p.h. and held us up for over a mile. I always said that if I had been carrying, I would have shot at him when I finally got up beside him, or at least put a couple of holes in the side of his truck! That is one time I am GLAD I wasn't carrying! I was hot!

JFootin
09-02-2011, 07:24 AM
By the way, Kyle's Gun Shop found another supplier for his Federal ammo that doesn't care who he sells it to, so it is back on the website.

.45fan
09-02-2011, 07:44 AM
A few years ago, I was headed South on I-85 in Northern Georgia. There are several miles of long rolling hills and valleys along that stretch. I was in the left lane behind a little tiny car, like a Ford Fiesta or something, doing a pretty good clip. We came alongside a truck that we were passing JUST as we reached the start of one of those long hillclimbs. The truck had been approaching the truck ahead of it at about 1/4 m.p.h. and didn't want to lose his momentum. So, he starts dangerously swerving side to side, the trailer coming over 2 or 3 feet into our lane, forcing us over onto the thin shoulder on the left (there was no emergency lane on that side of the road). We managed to slow down and keep our cars from wrecking, and the truck moved over to try and pass the truck he had just caught up with. Well, he couldn't do that because of the hill, slowed to about 45 m.p.h. and held us up for over a mile. I always said that if I had been carrying, I would have shot at him when I finally got up beside him, or at least put a couple of holes in the side of his truck! That is one time I am GLAD I wasn't carrying! I was hot!

Yeah that bastard, how dare he hold you up for a WHOLE mile. He should just continue living in his truck for days or weeks and delivering EVERYTHING you have ever owned. How rude of him.

[/sarcasm off]

JFootin
09-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Yeah that bastard, how dare he hold you up for a WHOLE mile. He should just continue living in his truck for days or weeks and delivering EVERYTHING you have ever owned. How rude of him.

[/sarcasm off]

I appreciate the guys who take their profession seriously, obey all traffic laws and display courtesy on the road, but that guy shouldn't be behind the wheel! He makes all truck drivers look bad.

The thing is, WE WERE ALREADY BESIDE HIM AND PASSING HIM! What he did could have easily turned into an accident with multiple fatalities! It was even raining a little and the road was wet. AND YOU ARE DEFENDING HIM! :mad: :32: I'm gonna shut up now, before I go nuclear! :53::33::86::59:

apdturbo
09-02-2011, 08:11 AM

[/sarcasm off]

true but we have roles of importance too, truck driver delivers goods but without a diesel mechanic, warehouse manager, dock workers, machine operators, office managers, IT workers, etc. etc., there would be no goods on the truck. we all need each other yet we all are against each other that is the problem with the world today.

WeldonHunter
09-02-2011, 09:36 AM
If you're not stuck on Federal SGAmmo has Winchester Ranger LE SXT which I've heard is similar . If you look here http://gun-deals.com/index.php near the top of the page there's a link to a list of discounts being offered by SGAmmo on some of this.

hotpig
09-02-2011, 05:05 PM
By the way, Kyle's Gun Shop found another supplier for his Federal ammo that doesn't care who he sells it to, so it is back on the website.
Not exactly the correct wording. The Distributor has x amount of Fed Tac ammo. He can either sell it to your local PD or he can sell it to Kyle, me, S&G or whomever at a higher price.

This works out good for you but payday will come around. The next thing you know LE Agencies are two years back ordered for ammo that you can buy every day.

They start complaining to the Factory then Federal, Winchester or who ever goes to the Distributors and cracks their whips. A few places get cut off, balance is restored and everyone is happy again except you.

The back orders get filled and the Distributors have Fed Tac ammo sitting around so they want to convert it back into cash so they sell it to Kyle and the circle starts again.