PDA

View Full Version : Chrome coming off barrel

jfrey
12-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Just received a new CW9 and during the cleaning before I shoot it, I noticed a spot in the chamber. I scrubbed it with bore cleaner and a brass brush but it wouldn't come off. Upon more examination with a flash light, I saw that apparently the chrome plating had come off in the chamber. There is also a spot near the muzzle that looks pitted, for lack of a better term, and I think the plating is coming loose there too.

My biggest question is: is it OK to go ahead and shoot the pistol this weekend before the dealer sends it back to Kahr? I realize the stuff in the barrel might effect accuracy some but I am more interested in the breakin right now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

jfrey

500KV
12-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Just received a new CW9 and during the cleaning before I shoot it, I noticed a spot in the chamber. I scrubbed it with bore cleaner and a brass brush but it wouldn't come off. Upon more examination with a flash light, I saw that apparently the chrome plating had come off in the chamber. There is also a spot near the muzzle that looks pitted, for lack of a better term, and I think the plating is coming loose there too.

My biggest question is: is it OK to go ahead and shoot the pistol this weekend before the dealer sends it back to Kahr? I realize the stuff in the barrel might effect accuracy some but I am more interested in the breakin right now.

jfrey
Welcome jfrey.
I have a spot in the chamber of my PM9 that's been there from day one but has never caused any operational problem.
If it were mine I'd go ahead and shoot the heck out of it.
It probably won't get any worse but if it does just give the folks at Kahr a call and describe the problem.
They'll straighten it out for you.

ltxi
12-31-2009, 04:36 PM
If you're sending it back anyway, I wouldn't waste the ammunition as far as breaking it in is concerned 'cause you'll just have to start all over again when you get it back. If you just want to shoot it, that's ok.

unclenunzie
12-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Ditto on my new PM9. I have just under 400 flawless rounds through mine (I love it). I sent the barrel back to Kahr after having an email discussion with service. I should have a replacement in my mailbox today or early next week.

I recommend you email Kahr support and describe the issue. They will likely offer to replace the barrel. Some have chosen to keep theirs as is, others got the replacement. There are a few threads to read in here which can be searched up via "barrel flaking" or "nickel plating", "plating coming off", etc.

unclenunzie

jocko
01-01-2010, 02:35 AM

jfrey

not see if your dealer has another cw on stock and ask him to exchange barrels with you. Kahr will send a new barrel more than likely so, why shoot any ammo to "break " in a gun that will have to be re broken in again. Hold off until you know exactly what is going on. It is perfectly safe to shoot the gun though.

jfrey
01-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have a bunch of ammo so I think I will shoot it this weekend anyway and if I have to break it in again, oh well, just have to do some more shooting (like I need an excuse).