PDA

View Full Version : Speer Gold Dot-CW9 or me?

rogerthedodger
12-31-2009, 04:36 PM
I have put 400+ rounds of ammo thru my CW9 since new 3 months ago. I did a detail strip, then went to the range today. Put 80 rounds of Speer Lawman 115 gr TMJ thru it, then thought it is time to shoot my ammo I plan to carry, Speer Gold Dot+P 124 gr GDHP. I put 6 rounds into the 7 round mag, loaded as always using the slide release. It fired one, the second hung pointed at the barrel ramp. I tried to release the slide, could not, so tapped the rear of the slide. It loaded, so I fired the rest of the mag no problems. I loaded another 6 rounds in the 7 round mag, again loaded using the slide release(not slingshot), and tightened up my grip, and it fired all 6 no problem. Since I had no more Gold Dot with me I quit for the day.
Question is, because these are hotter rounds, I have not fired them before in this gun, was it just me or the gun?
What do you suggest I do next? I want to use this gun as my primary carry, and need to trust it 100?
Thank you, Roger

ltxi
12-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Isn't that just so totally frustrating??? If it were me.....I'd clean the gun thoroughly, polish the feed ramp and the barrel hood, and then run at least 100 rounds of the Gold Dots through it with no hint of a problem before I even considered trusting it as a carry piece.

You are on the right track in thinking the hotter rounds and/or your grip could be an issue. Could also just be a difference in bullet contour. Or could just be random hiccup.

rogerthedodger
12-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Yes, frustrating. And I only have 2 boxes left. I googled it and none to be found. Guess I need to find a brand that is not so hard to find!!:madgrin:

jocko
01-01-2010, 02:41 AM
I wold do what ITXI staed, first and then run at leat one fullbox of gold dots throught he gun. That is a good round and it should work great but if not, go to another brand and test out. Shoot only the defense round that works perfeclty. gold Dots should work perfectly. I have zero issues with gold dots out of both of my kahrs. Most have zero issues, why yours is acting up is that justmaybe what ITXI ask you to do will solve the issue to. Maybe, just maybe as u stated when you tightened up on the grip the gun was perfect. So that being said, it could have been a shooting glitch , tha tyou now have solved yourself,,,,, but what Itxi stated is always good to do on any semi...

rogerthedodger
01-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the help. I understand polishing the barrel ramp, but what is the barrel hood, and how does that help?
Roger

Tap
01-03-2010, 09:26 AM
I gave up on my 7 round mags long ago. The 6 mags work fine.
Everytime I tried the 7's I had the same thing happen. :eek:

ltxi
01-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the help. I understand polishing the barrel ramp, but what is the barrel hood, and how does that help?
Roger

The underside/inside of the barrel hood...where the the bullet makes contact as it feeds into the chamber. Same reason as for polishing the feed ramp.

Eric...ammoman.com.....has standard pressure 124 Gold Dots in stock.

rogerthedodger
01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was using the speer gold dot 124 gr GDHP +P for short barrels. I googled it again tonight, none anywhere. I will use what I have left in my Glock 26. I found locally some Hornady boxes of 25 so I will try that next. I bought enough to last awhile, so maybe it will work ok in the CW9. I did do a little polish of the feed ramp, will see if it helps.

ripley16
01-05-2010, 04:35 AM
Question is, because these are hotter rounds, I have not fired them before in this gun, was it just me or the gun?

The ammo is fine. I suggest it was your grip along with the increased recoil that caused the misfeed. The CW is a very light pistol, so +P anything is going to be a handful. The Shortbarrel ammo burns very fast and imparts a rather strong recoil impulse. Maybe you just weren't ready for it on that first shot.

IMHO any quality ammo will serve you well, whether it's Speer, Hornady or whatever.

jocko
01-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I think ripley 16 hit the nail on the head. Quite possably you were not ready for the recoil, as it only happened to you one time and then you even stated you tightened up on your grip and it was OK after that. In breaking in any gun the shooter also has to mate up with the gun for all things to work correctly. Kahrs are not ammo sensitive and those 124 GD are super rounds....

paul0660
01-05-2010, 10:14 AM
If you are going to carry 7+1, then run it that way as much as possible in practice. Nosediving is much more common in the first and second round after the initial round. (Imo the following round pushes on the previous round and lowers the tip of the previous round as it slides by on the way to the chamber).

Also, make sure the mag catch hold the mag very tight. Even a bit of sag of the mag in the mag well lowers the point of the rounds enough to encourage nosediving.

I had many nosediving issues with my CW9 and it was a new mag catch/spring that finally cured it.

rogerthedodger
01-06-2010, 01:58 PM
The ammo is fine. I suggest it was your grip along with the increased recoil that caused the misfeed. The CW is a very light pistol, so +P anything is going to be a handful. The Shortbarrel ammo burns very fast and imparts a rather strong recoil impulse. Maybe you just weren't ready for it on that first shot.

IMHO any quality ammo will serve you well, whether it's Speer, Hornady or whatever.

I think you all have got it right. I did polish the ramp a little. Cleaned the gun again.
I found some Hornady critical defense 115 ggr FTX, bought enough(10 boxes) to get me thru my carry weapons testing.
I ran 2 boxes(25 rnds per box) thru my CW9 and it ran without a hiccup.
I do think it was probably me the first time I shot the Speer, but can not find any more of theGDHP I was using.
As a side note, I also ran the Hornady thru my Glock 26. The Glock has more felt recoil than the CW9..I really like this gun, it has a good feel in my hand(small for a man), and I am accurate.
One more note, if you stand the Speer Gold Dot and the Hornady bullets side by side, the Hornady is shorter. Don't know if this makes a difference in the CW9 feeding??
Thanks all for the help, this is a good forum.:D
Roger