PDA

View Full Version : New K9 and a couple of questions

harrydog
08-29-2011, 06:03 PM
A couple of years ago I sold my trusty K9 Elite 98 on a whim because I had the hots for something else. I'm not one of those people who say that you should never sell a gun. I've sold quite a few guns and I usually never look back but the K9 is one of the few guns that I regretted selling.

Many times since then I've thought about getting another one but for one reason or another I never did. Finally I decided to buy another one a few days ago when I found one locally for a decent price. I haven't been able to shoot it yet but I'm expecting it to be every bit as reliable as my previous one.

After a few hundred break in rounds I plan to replace the recoil spring with a Wolff 22 lb. spring. I did that with my old K9 and never had a malfunction with it but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any problems when they switched to the 22 lb. spring? I wonder if anything else was changed on the gun when Kahr went from a 24 lb. spring to a 20 lb. spring or if the spring itself was the only change made to the gun? I'm wondering if the mag springs should be replaced with extra power springs as well since the speed of the slide going back into battery should be faster with the 22 lb. spring.

I'm also contemplating sending it off to have it NP3+ coated. Anybody have any experience with that?

ripley16
08-30-2011, 06:10 AM
* The only change I'm aware of other than the spring was to the frame shape above the trigger guard.
* I've used a 22# spring with no change is reliability. I did not change my mag springs.
* Since you had an older elite model, there is the possibility that your new K9 has a slightly different trigger. The model number would say. Do you remember how it felt or feel any difference?

Can't comment on the NP3.

Enjoy your new K9.

jocko
08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
news to me that kahr everhad a 24# original factory spring in the K9's. The 22# spring will work perfect and u wohn't see, or even feel any difference. I have never heard of any K9 having over 20# spring from the factory. if ur buying new yoiur mag springs are fine, if u replace when needed the 5% kmore strength sure doesnt hurt anything..Nice gun, my used K9 has enver belched one time. If u just boght this K9 new, then you have the elite triggerin it also. All K9 today except one special order model now come standard wqith the elite trigger in them A year + ago, that was the exact opposite. They allhad the NYPD trigger unless one ordered the elite verstion:israel:

hdsteve69
08-30-2011, 10:47 AM
I have a k40 and have put the wolf 22# recoil spring in and have not had a problem yet in 200+ rnds.I am running stock mag springs.

harrydog
08-30-2011, 06:02 PM
news to me that kahr everhad a 24# original factory spring in the K9's. The 22# spring will work perfect and u wohn't see, or even feel any difference. I have never heard of any K9 having over 20# spring from the factory. if ur buying new yoiur mag springs are fine, if u replace when needed the 5% kmore strength sure doesnt hurt anything..Nice gun, my used K9 has enver belched one time. If u just boght this K9 new, then you have the elite triggerin it also. All K9 today except one special order model now come standard wqith the elite trigger in them A year + ago, that was the exact opposite. They allhad the NYPD trigger unless one ordered the elite verstion:israel:
In this interview with Massad Ayoob, Justin Moon mentioned that the original K9 had a 24 lb. spring which was later reduced to 20 lb. due to customer complaints of the slide being difficult to manipulate.
http://www.rickross.com/reference/unif/unif166.html
The original K9's were also rated for +P+ ammo and when asked if the spring change affected the +P+ rating Moon kind of glosses over the question and states that the guns can handle +P ammo.
I think my K9 has the NYPD trigger, at least that's what is listed on the box.