PDA

View Full Version : Stainless pitting

FLBri
09-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Greetings. I have been watching this forum for a long time as the owner of both a PM9 and MK9 Elite .... but I don't think I have ever posted.

I'm hoping someone else has experienced this issue with an MK that can help. I have owned my MK9 Elite for about a year. Almost since new, I have kept a "Hand-all Jr." over the grip and really like the way that combo feels. The other day, I removed the handall to do some trimming to it, and was shocked to see orange specs all underneath the added grip. I cleaned it up with some scotch Brite pads and was left with some minor but annoying pitting.

So ... my question is .... how can I use the rubber grip and protect the stainless from the rust/pitting. Also, is there possibly anything wrong with the stainless alloy that would cause this?

And ... what should I use, as a chemical, to ensure that I have all of the rust out of the minuscule pitted areas?

Thanks in advance

Bawanna
09-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Other than removing the grip more frequently and cleaning and oiling there is little you can do. It's just attracting moisture and it has no place to go.

I'd probably just go with the factory grips or wood grips if you need to bulk up the handle. Even then the grip should come off from time to time for cleaning and oiling underneath. This is true with any steel gun, only exception tupperware of course.

A good scrubbing with solvent and a brass brush should clean out the offending pits. If you know someone with a bead blaster it will clean up and look like new pretty quick.

Oil or even paste wax on the metal should slow down the process.

I doubt theres anything wrong with the stainless itself. What your experiencing is pretty common.

CJB
09-02-2011, 10:56 AM
stainless does rus. you can try some car wax on the frame before you asse the best way to deal with it is regular cleaning

FLBri
09-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks,
Removing and cleaning/oiling obviously I will do more often. The paste wax sounds like a good idea. I was also wondering if anyone has tried a piece of tape between the rubber and the steel .... my thought being that the adhesive in the tape (probably electrical tape) might act as a sealant to the moisture.

Bawanna
09-03-2011, 10:06 AM
My only issue with electrical tape is it leaves a nasty residue behind and quite often will discolor the metal for reasons I know not why. Painters tape might be better but it doesn't adhere as well and the oil or wax would all have to be removed and the tape applied to a clean bare surface. Not sure thats a good solution either.
Maybe some regular grips and some skateboard tape on the front strap?

The MK is a beautiful little gun and a grip sleeve can't do much to enhance it's loveliness.

Your thought of sealing the metal is good, just not sure tape is the solution.

wyntrout
09-03-2011, 10:15 AM
If they suit your taste, maybe the Kahr polymer grips like on the K9 would be better.

After about 13 years, I finally removed mine to install the LaserGrips and it wasn't bad under the area covered by the grips.

I've never carried my K9 much, but I guess sweat is the culprit... collecting and causing a bit of corrosion. Some people's body chemistry is prone to that... causing stainless steel watches to corrode, even!

I had to use SS watch backs because the pot metal stuff just corroded away... yucky!

Wynn:)

OldLincoln
09-03-2011, 11:24 AM
The HandAll grips are like wrapping plastic wrap around the handle trapping in moisture and the metal will rust period. Get some grips that you like and go with them. If not sure what you want get inexpensive Kahr Soft Polymer Grips (http://www.kahr.com/search/Grips-Soft-Polymer.aspx) for under $20. They will give you the comfort without breaking the bank or rusting your gun.

Some day you'll wander into Bawanna's Grip Emporium and find what really tickles your fancy and can change them out.

Bawanna
09-03-2011, 12:46 PM
The HandAll grips are like wrapping plastic wrap around the handle trapping in moisture and the metal will rust period. Get some grips that you like and go with them. If not sure what you want get inexpensive Kahr Soft Polymer Grips (http://www.kahr.com/search/Grips-Soft-Polymer.aspx) for under $20. They will give you the comfort without breaking the bank or rusting your gun.

Some day you'll wander into Bawanna's Grip Emporium and find what really tickles your fancy and can change them out.

You know I'd be right in there offering but I'm having such a darn hard time figuring out the K and MK grips that I'm keeping quiet till if/when I ever figure it out. I thought I had the answer and then I sent a couple out and the darn things didnt fit. Slight frame variations.
It's a serialized part so not easy to just beg Kahr for a frame of each variety to fit too. It'll be a happy day if that ever happens and I'll be making the sawdust fly fixing guys up. I have quite a list for the if it ever happens day.

OldLincoln
09-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Could you use a Kahr grip for the template?

Bawanna
09-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Could you use a Kahr grip for the template?

I've thought about that. In the past its been very difficult to make a grip from a grip but most I tried to do that with were ones that had a hook in the front like a High Power or Colt Mustangs and stuff where fit had to be perfect.

The problem is I make it and I have no way of knowing if I got it right or not till I send it to the person. I was wrong once back in 1971 or might have been 70 and I felt really bad about it for over 5 minutes. I don't want to be wrong again.

jocko
09-03-2011, 02:55 PM
one of the composites of stainlessis IRON. Iron will rust.

CJB
09-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Something to remember is that the tooling used to work with stainless is the same tooling, more or less. Different angles maybe slightly different treatment, but the same tooling. Tooling leaves bits of itself in the metal that is being cut. Stainless steels will rust out those places - even after passivization.

FLBri
09-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks again for the tips. I have seriously been thinking of the Crimson Trace route, and likely will go for that. The Handall is nice because it fills my palm better and I like that feel. I imagine the Kahr soft polymer grips would be the same dimensions as the standard?

Bottom line is, I love this pistol. Went to the range again yesterday and reminded myself just HOW much I like it, again.