PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reload for their P380?

BuckeyeBlast
09-11-2011, 08:15 PM
My LEE book lists Min COAL as .975, but that barely fits in the mag and doesn't seem to feed smoothly. I've got other factory rounds much shorter, but I don't want to go any deeper and risk over pressure. I did test and they don't seem to hit the slide stop, so that's a good thing. :)

Just boxed up 50 rounds to bring out and test some before going further. Going to try out 95gr JHP, 3.1 Bullseye, .975 OAL. We'll see how they do. Anyone else have any good results? Hoping to be able to shorten the round slightly (with less power) and keep a safe charge. Any suggestions?

houdini
09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
I have a case gages for you guns it.

garyb
09-13-2011, 11:09 AM
I am saving up brass now, but have not purchased dies yet. Plan to load them once my initial supply of 380 ammo dwindles for the wife's gun. Should not be a big deal if you follow the load manual and take measurements off new ammo as a side reference to compare to the manual.

wyntrout
09-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Use a factory FMJ for OAL... even to initially set dies. It's easier to set the die lower and run a round back through than to load one too short... or have to "correct" a bunch!

Use the proper bullet seater, too, for round nose or for flat nosed bullets. I'm not sure everyone does. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you understood what I meant. Take a good factory FMJ and put it in the case holder and then with the screw in the top of the bullet-seater/crimper backed out, pull the handle down full stroke and leave it(be careful not to punch the loaded round into the case!), and then screw the seater down until it rests tightly on top of the factory-laoded round. That will get you in the ballpark and you can adjust downward with your reloads as needed to get the proper length that works for your chamber.

Wynn:)

Ikeo74
09-29-2011, 06:55 PM
My LEE book lists Min COAL as .975, but that barely fits in the mag and doesn't seem to feed smoothly. I've got other factory rounds much shorter, but I don't want to go any deeper and risk over pressure. I did test and they don't seem to hit the slide stop, so that's a good thing. :)

Just boxed up 50 rounds to bring out and test some before going further. Going to try out 95gr JHP, 3.1 Bullseye, .975 OAL. We'll see how they do. Anyone else have any good results? Hoping to be able to shorten the round slightly (with less power) and keep a safe charge. Any suggestions?
Hogdson reloading site lists Hornady .380, 95 gr @ .970. What bullet brand are you using? You can probably shorten your Oal to .970 without any problem.