PDA

View Full Version : T9 range report

JodyH
09-15-2011, 06:24 PM
First trip to the range with a new T9.
Got to shoot approx. 25 rounds before calling it a day due to premature slide lock.
Why can't Kahr get the dimensions right on their slide stop levers?
Brought it home and did some light filing, will try again tomorrow.
:mad:

safd
09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Wow, that is a shame. I just ordered one through Cylinder and slide. I'm having one of their 'packages' done to it.
I debated on K9 vs T9, and searched for negatives on it and found none.
Is it something that should just be sent back?

JodyH
09-15-2011, 07:21 PM
The fix is really simple.
So simple Kahr should fix it before it leaves their door.
A few swipes with a fine file where the bullet nose contacts the slide stop lever inside the mag well and you're usually good to go.
My K9 had the exact same issue.
It's a known possible issue with all Kahr models.

Remove your slide then re-insert the slide stop lever in the frame.
Now take a magazine loaded with ammo and slowly insert it.
Watch closely as the bullet nose passes where the magazine follower contacts the slide stop lever. If the bullet touches the lever or has less that 1/32" clearance, lightly file the slide stop until you have about 1/32" clearance.
Takes about 5 minutes.
The ammo most likely to cause problems is 124gr. FMJ and the mid to heavy weight hollowpoints like 124, 135 and 147gr. JHP's.

JodyH
09-16-2011, 06:20 PM
No joy.
Even after slide stop mods the slide locks back with ammo still in it multiple times per magazine (4 different mags and 3 different brands of ammo).
Something is FUBAR with this gun.
I guess a call to Kahr on Monday is in order.
My personal experience with 6 different Kahrs is you have a 30% chance of getting one that works.
3 out of the 6 had to go back to Kahr for repairs/replacement.
1 out of 6 I had to work on with a file.
2 out of 6 have worked with no issues.
:31:

devildogxd
09-16-2011, 09:29 PM
I too just picked up a T9 last friday. In fact it may have belonged to one of the people on this forum, it has a very low serial number. It is a beautiful gun in my opinion and feels great in my hand, very Browning Hi Powerish. It's very acurate and I
love the looks of the wood grips. I have many other modern 9's that are great shooters but this gun to me has a classy look and feel, again it reminds me very much of the Hi power, funtional but beautiful as well. I'm not sure why Kahr hasn't sold more of these.

safd
09-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Hopefully they'll make it right. C&S should be able to rectify any issues with mine(if it has any) before my sweaty hands get on it.

jocko
09-18-2011, 04:37 PM
First trip to the range with a new T9.
Got to shoot approx. 25 rounds before calling it a day due to premature slide lock.
Why can't Kahr get the dimensions right on their slide stop levers?
Brought it home and did some light filing, will try again tomorrow.
:mad:

sent my Para Carry 9 back 3 times for slide stop levers:target: If u have rounds hitting ur slide stop u can mod it yourself or just call kahr and they will send you a new slide stop lever
Sh-t happens.

jocko
09-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Wow, that is a shame. I just ordered one through Cylinder and slide. I'm having one of their 'packages' done to it.
I debated on K9 vs T9, and searched for negatives on it and found none.
Is it something that should just be sent back?

C& S does a betterjob fo ryou than they did on my PM9. way way over priced IMO.

JodyH
09-18-2011, 05:47 PM
sent my Para Carry 9 back 3 times for slide stop levers:target: If u have rounds hitting ur slide stop u can mod it yourself or just call kahr and they will send you a new slide stop lever
Sh-t happens.
This is beyond a slide stop issue.
I filed it away until there is no stop at all protruding into the magwell.
As in it won't lock back at all on empty.
It still locks back with rounds in the mag 3 or 4 times per magazine.
There's something else wrong.
Slide lock spring is good, slide stop has been pretty much eliminated at the source.
Shooter error has been ruled out.

jocko
09-18-2011, 06:10 PM
sound slike it has to go back to to kahr.

safd
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
C& S does a betterjob fo ryou than they did on my PM9. way way over priced IMO.

Yes, I think they probably are overpriced, but I like that they have a relationship with Kahr and the combination should, in theory, work well if I ever have any issues.
Do you have a link to the problems that you had with them?
I'm just excited to get one.
thanks
ben

JodyH
09-20-2011, 04:50 PM
After doing some further investigation I think the barrel feed ramp or the "slot" the slide lock pin rides in, is out of spec and actually allowing the feed ramp to contact the follower and rounds in the magazine when it's in the "out of battery" position.
This has the double effect of keeping the slide from locking back on empty by forcing the mag follower away from the slide stop tab and forcing bullet noses into the slide stop when there are rounds in the mag causing premature slide lock.

jocko
09-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes, I think they probably are overpriced, but I like that they have a relationship with Kahr and the combination should, in theory, work well if I ever have any issues.
Do you have a link to the problems that you had with them?
I'm just excited to get one.
thanks
ben

my gun through C & S, I just had them do their customizing to my own PM9..

jocko
09-20-2011, 05:01 PM
If the feed ramp is making contact with the magazine follower, something is serioulsy wrong. It needs to go back. Is this "I thinkj" stuff factural in the sense tha tyou can actually see this happening or are u just surmising this to be happening. I would have doubts about an out of spec slide lock pin slot. Have u looked at the thread in the kahr techsection on propper prepping of ur new kahr, It tells u how to look for this to see if possable rounds are hitting the inside of the slide lock lever and also causing pre mature slide lock, easy to check and easier to see .

JodyH
09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
If the feed ramp is making contact with the magazine follower, something is serioulsy wrong. It needs to go back. Is this "I thinkj" stuff factural in the sense tha tyou can actually see this happening or are u just surmising this to be happening. I would have doubts about an out of spec slide lock pin slot. Have u looked at the thread in the kahr techsection on propper prepping of ur new kahr, It tells u how to look for this to see if possable rounds are hitting the inside of the slide lock lever and also causing pre mature slide lock, easy to check and easier to see .
I can actually SEE this happening when I install the barrel on the frame without a slide and working the barrel in it's arc of travel.

re: rounds hitting the slide lock lever, did you read this thread? I have already addressed this earlier.

:cool:

safd
09-20-2011, 08:25 PM
my gun through C & S, I just had them do their customizing to my own PM9..

Again I'm just curious as to what you thought was 'bad' about their work or service. I'm already locked into them(with $) so it does not matter in that sense. I'd just like honest feedback on their work. I'm sure people can do things cheaper.
thanks
ben