PDA

View Full Version : Newbie saying hello

jkarnes0661
01-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Wanted to say hi, new member of the site. Just bought a used PM9 with the black tungsten coated slide and night sights. I'd been on the lookout for a used one for a while (unfortunatly the sign of a good firearm is that you never see used ones for sale) and one finally popped up at the local shop/shooting range. I'm in grad school right now and the brand new price was a little steep for the budget right now.

I inspected it carefully at the shop, disassembled it and, other than looking like it hadn't been cleaned for the last 400 rds, everything looked good. I was just curious if anyone had any specific areas I should look at for signs of wear etc. The guys at the shop didn't have any info on how many rounds had been through the gun or whether the previous owner was the original owner (the guy who took the gun in wasn't working when I was there).

Here's a pic of the gun. Previous owner did a nice stippling job on the side grip panels and mag release. Feels great in the hand.

I also shoot a modified Ruger Mark III and a Taurus PT111 Mill.

Great site so far, look forward to reading more.

-Jon

mx5fan
01-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the forum,

Glad you found your PM9, yes the used ones seem to be more difficult to find.
As far as wear signs, I'll leave that to the other more prolific Kahr shooters as I've only put 250 rounds through my new baby, but so far so good...there is no question in my mind that she is a keeper. Not sure why, but for some reason this one is a "she" :p

Anyway, I'm sure once your PM9 has a good clean and you do some shooting you'll love yours as much as I love mine, at least I hope so!

unclenunzie
01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the forum,
Not sure why, but for some reason this one is a "she" :p

Heh, I remember a little rascals episode from the distant past in which this was explained: Things of speed and/or beauty are often referred to as "she".

My PM9 is both, she's hot ;)

Cobra21
01-03-2010, 09:05 PM
JK, Welcome. I am fairly new as well, own the P380 and am in the market for the PM9. Came here for performance, carry, range report info, etc. Looking forward to gleaning some from you on your new "babe."

mx5fan
01-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Heh, I remember a little rascals episode from the distant past in which this was explained: Things of speed and/or beauty are often referred to as "she".

My PM9 is both, she's hot ;)

LoL, I knew there was a good reason and I loved the Little Rascals.

Dietrich
01-04-2010, 04:36 PM
LoL, I knew there was a good reason and I loved the Little Rascals.
The Little who? I`m sorry,that must of been before my time. ;)

Smoke Eater
01-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I declare "Shenanigans" on Dietrich!

Dietrich
01-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I declare "Shenanigans" on Dietrich!
I ain`t sure what it means when someone declares shenenigans on somebody.Be gentle now and remember that I`m only a dumb old southern boy who is caring for his elderly mother and a group of orphans from New Guinea.:angel:

Smoke Eater
01-05-2010, 07:00 AM
I'm saying shenanigans(BS) that you are not old enough to remember The Little Rascals!
How many orphans?

jkarnes0661
01-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks all for the welcomes, looking forward to reading and contributing. Taking him/her :D out for the first spin on Thursday (first day of free time to get to the range here in the frigid north :frown:). Looking forward to putting some rounds down range.
-Jon

mr surveyor
01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
one cleaning tip I'd add, unless you've already discovered it (and this site IS the place for that info) is to get a high pressure can of gun blaster, or that good sounding 3M stuff that Jocko recommends, take the slide out in the yard and stick the nozzle straw in the "clean-out hole" in the underside of the slide. Use that non-residue spray and give the striker channel a good old fashioned enema:D. Blow it out until there's nothing but clean, clear liquid, then set it aside to dry. No lube in the striker, unless it's a tiny drop of very light oil, or better yet liquid graphite. Other than that, keep the chamber, ramp and barrel oil free, and lube the rest like you would any other semi-auto. As far as wear, you may need or want to replace the recoil spring and maybe the striker spring if you encounter any malfunctions, otherwise, having a back-up set of springs available for the inevitable need is a good thing anyway (note to self...order back-up springs). Other wear that I would expect to be possible could be slight peening of the corners of the barrel hood, but if it functions properly there's no problem. I encountered very slight peening at one corner of my CW9 barrel hood, and using a very fine file I took off the sharp edge.

Congratulations on finding your Kahr.... I NEVER see used ones available.

surv

medezyner
01-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Welcome aboard jkarnes0661.
The other gun blaster that mr surveyor is referencing is a NON chlorinated brake cleaner made by CRC, 3M, Gunk and others. So far I've used it on my Glock with real good results. Dont use carb cleaner, too harsh. Do it outdoors only and it may be a good idea to wear gloves, but not latex.