PDA

View Full Version : No More Guns....

ltxi
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
New Years thingy...I hereby resolve to buy no additional firearms during the coming year.

mx5fan
01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
New Years thingy...I hereby resolve to buy no additional firearms during the coming year.

why?

Dietrich
01-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Good for you ltxi. Let us know when this resolution goes down the drain.As gun crazy as most of us seem to be,I don`t think anyone will rag you about it.

medezyner
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
ltxi, if you can hold out for the year I bet you'll still be spending money on mods, custom do-dads, some smitty work and maybe a few more holsters. We're like kids in a candy store with a sweet tooth. Good luck! I dont know if I could do that.

Raoul
01-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Yeah me too. I'll only buy one firearm at a time. :D

mr surveyor
01-03-2010, 08:06 PM

yeah, right.... and I'm going to lose 25 pounds, recuce my beer consumption to a 6 pack a week, stop putting cigars in the humidor, be more sensitive..... blah....blah....blah......

surv:D

ltxi
01-03-2010, 08:12 PM
why?

Good question that deserves an answer. Honest admission is that after well over 50 years of buy/sell/collecting I already have more personally suited, general and custom, firearms than I could ever possibly need...redundantly covering every conceivable use I could put them all to short of a Jericho scenario.

And then this weekend wife just put foot down and committed to $10K plus of new flooring from the Carpet Mill guys at a cash price I couldn't even begin to argue with.

At least I still get to buy and shoot all the ammo I want. Not sure she understands that was part of the bargain.

mr surveyor
01-03-2010, 11:33 PM
and, you will be honest in reporting to all the world your transgressions in the coming year? Not a single aquisition of a firearm in 2010? No "trades"?

surv:)

Bawanna
01-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Itxi, I'm routing for ya buddy but I'm in your same situation. I got enough toys to cover any scenario numerous times BUT there's always a new one, a different one or something somebody mentions that just kicks off the gotta have button. I sometimes go for weeks with no wants, then bang (pun fully intended) the gotta have button goes off again. Like MX5's Dan Wesson set me off today, fortunately I can probably satisfy my needs if I can just find some buckeye wood to make handles out of but we'll see how it goes.
If my wife signed up for 10k worth of floors without me getting my dreamed of Wilson pistol or my 03-A4 Gibbs sniper, or the, well you get my drift.
Best of luck with that and remember momma always said it's just a little white lie and a little white lie never hurt nobody.:blah:

PaiN
01-04-2010, 03:25 AM

I believe I've had a bad effect on this forum.... :ohmy:

500KV
01-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Hey lt, maybe you vowed to make this the year to learn something new? Perhaps you are considering a career change, want to learn a new language, how to install carpeting, or just how to fix your computer?

Now if you can truthfully say these are options to acquiring additional firearms you may be onto something.
Otherwise your are just pulling our leg with that bit of blasphemy.:001_tt2:

Dietrich
01-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Really?? Ten grand worth of flooring? Was your wife`s maiden name Robinson?Did she originally come from a coastal fishing village in North Carolina? Is she bossy beyond all belief? If so,we may be in-laws.

medezyner
01-04-2010, 06:35 AM

Look what your original "Going to one" thread has created! Now we have members trimming collections down to 3 guns (offensive), one member not buying any this year (blasphemous), and dogs mating with cats. Where will this slippery slope end? I’m wicked ascared.:eek:

johnh
01-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Do not worry, knowing myself I will probably make up for the rest of them.

:D

John

medezyner
01-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Do not worry, knowing myself I will probably make up for the rest of them.

:D

John

Thanks, I appreciate you picking up the slack. I'm ok now.

PaiN
01-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Look what your original "Going to one" thread has created! Now we have members trimming collections down to 3 guns (offensive), one member not buying any this year (blasphemous), and dogs mating with cats. Where will this slippery slope end? I’m wicked ascared.:eek:
Okay, the truth.....I am not as happy or liberated with this two gun situation as I thought I would be(or was at first). Don't get me wrong, I have NO intention of going "back" but......As good as the P9 is, it is a carry gun and has the limitations of a CCW. The realization is, I need a full size hi-cap pistol with a rail(for a tac. light), I'll be adding one in 9mm soon.

You all can rest easy now... hehe :001_tt2:

medezyner
01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Okay, the truth.....I am not as happy or liberated with this two gun situation as I thought I would be(or was at first). Don't get me wrong, I have NO intention of going "back" but......As good as the P9 is, it is a carry gun and has the limitations of a CCW. The realization is, I need a full size hi-cap pistol with a rail(for a tac. light), I'll be adding one in 9mm soon.

You all can rest easy now... hehe :001_tt2:

Now your talk'in! You had me worried there for a while.:)

ltxi
01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Really?? Ten grand worth of flooring? Was your wife`s maiden name Robinson?Did she originally come from a coastal fishing village in North Carolina? Is she bossy beyond all belief? If so,we may be in-laws.

No, actually, this is the good one. That's why she gets the new floor. It was the first three that were named Robinson and came from NC.

In-Yo-Grill
01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
I made a similiar verbal commitment in a moment of weakness over the holidays. I was surfing Gunbroker when BAM! Out of no where an MK9 appears with a buy-it-now of $420.00. Ten seconds later I'm the proud owner of a new Kahr.

Not a week later I was surfing the net when I see it...My holy grail. A gently used P45 with the blackened slide, Meprolight night sights, original box and 2-mags. As I commit to seal the deal my wife looks over my shoulder and says "Another one...!?!"

"You don't understand how much I'm saving" I emplored... "A deal like this doesn't come along every day." "I won't buy another gun for a year...I promise." After a day of dirty looks and a great family trip to New Mexico I think I'm in the clear.

ltxi
01-04-2010, 04:00 PM

You're right....this is all your fault. You and medezyner. Although, I'm complicit because I let the not maiden name Robinson person look over my shoulder when I admitted that I, theoretically, could pare my collection down to 11 if I absolutely had to. Then she noticed that she, personally, was fine with her four.....and that the flooring needed replacing.

and, you will be honest in reporting to all the world your transgressions in the coming year? Not a single aquisition of a firearm in 2010? No "trades"?

Of course I will, but let's be clear here. I said I wasn't going to buy any additional guns during 2010.....trading doesn't count. And neither do mods. Now, who was it that said they wanted a Wilson 1911 and do you happen to have a K40 in black diamond with night sights?

steve666
01-05-2010, 12:31 PM
:crazy:I hereby resolve to buy no firearms this year... except at the first Indy 1500 gun show after I get my tax refund and the first Indy 1500 gun show after my birthday in May and whenever I have some extra money at hand.:001_tt2:

medezyner
01-05-2010, 02:56 PM
:crazy:I hereby resolve to buy no firearms this year... except at the first Indy 1500 gun show after I get my tax refund and the first Indy 1500 gun show after my birthday in May and whenever I have some extra money at hand.:001_tt2:

Your sacrifices admirable steve666, you are a better man than I.

PaiN
01-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Similar to what was mentioned earlier, I decided to stop buying any additional firearms for at least six months. However I found myself buying additional magazines, ammunition, boresnakes for all my calibers, laser grips, slings, holsters....
west6772 you said it brother!!!
Jeez this is just a hopeless case for all....When I cut to two guns I was feeling good about getting too what I needed, I was also thinking of the money I would save....which was a huge incentive.
Alas, it is hopeless :( I've already dropped cash for more P9 mags and am considering a better holster...maybe two...
Then finding the "excellently priced" Ruger P95, I'm going look at today. I haven't even held the pistol yet and I've already been out shopping for mags and holsters and whatever other accessory might me out there for it..... frickin' sad :o

wyntrout
01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Well... it's not quite a money pit, but I was just noting that if I count the Uplula magazine loaders I just ordered, I've spent real close to what the P380N cost me when I ordered it... and I don't have it yet. What's bugging me also, is that now that I have the MiniTuck holster for it, I feel like I'm going to have to order those for my present K9 and certainly one for the PM4544N when I get one. And I need to get some magazine holders from Tactical Kydex for all. I''m starting to have to slip my goals a bit after marrying off my daughter last October, trip to Colorado, and just replacing our bigscreen TV, among other things. I've been doing my part to help the economy rebound!:D
Wynn

getsome
01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Wow, you guys must have very understanding wives!!! If my current Mrs. Robinson looked over my sholder and saw me ordering another gun here is what would take place....First she would rip the key board out of my hands and smash me across the face with it breaking both the key board and my nose in several places resulting in massive blood stains all over the den carpet which she will demand be replaced with the most expensive thing she can locate due to my stupid accident!!!!:32:

wyntrout
01-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Dang! Have you taught her the joy of shooting??:behindsofa:
Wynn:boink:

.45mac.40
01-09-2010, 01:02 PM
:yo:
Hey guys ..........!
Wifves ... AND tha New Year ???? HUH ??
FORGET IT .... those New Years resolutions ...(thingys) don't work.. !
We all break them, especially tha' one about.... losing weight !!
Get in tha' REAL WORLD !!!! Start saving .... 'cause, we all know, YOU and ME, WILL be buying new guns THIS YEAR !!!! :D
Mac

johnh
01-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Ahh accessories. Many times I said "my collection is complete" and I stopped with buying guns for a bit. Then there were magazines, slings, optics, ammo......

We are truly hopeless--that is the real truth behind this hobby. Just marry an understanding woman and let her know how much it will all be worth when you die.

;)

John

medezyner
01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Once the wife has bought into the hobby/obsession, its clear sailing. Bought her a S&W 60 for home protection and she shoots it at my club, but not well. Shoots my Glock 26 much better. So there ya go, she’s got the G26, I need a better CCW, hello PM9! Now, how to get the G19? I’m working on it.

hollander
01-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Already bought a Taurus 2" 22lr which has turned out to be a pitiful purchase. Will be calling Taurus on Monday. To sooth my pain the wife and I purchased a new Ruger SP101 2" 357 in stainless yesterday. A good gun for her - spurless and a very easy and smooth trigger. Hope that is it for the year, UNLESS I sell a couple of the others and then buy just one to replace them. The sickness never goes away.

kahrs&cars
01-16-2010, 10:11 PM

Ahhhhhahhaha, good luck buddy!! It's a serious addiction & old habits die hard:D

Let me count the times i've said the same thing...1,2,3,60,180...ZZZzzzZZZZ...zzzzzz

ltxi
01-01-2011, 07:05 PM

Honest I am and not a one all year! In fact, I sold two...a mint, original, 1960's Charter Arms Undercover and a 25 year old home defense Mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel. Both private sales to a friend. So now I'm down to less than 45 firearms, but still have everything/more than I need so I'm renewing the pledge for 2011. No More Guns.....

Bawanna
01-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I think this is the toughest new years resolution I've ever heard of. I had thought of it but knew there was no way to honestly even think it would work. I'm content, well I was content for awhile but now thanks to some individuals here some of my old flames have been reignited.

Schofield,
MRI 1911
GSG 22 1911

Nope there's no hope for this kid. I expect I'll be swinging by a gun shop on the way to the gates, either pearly or burnt.

TD2K
01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Dang! Have you taught her the joy of shooting??:behindsofa:
Wynn:boink:

careful though, she might get addicted. I now own more hand guns than my hubby....and he's a LEO.....:o

mr surveyor
01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Honest I am and not a one all year! In fact, I sold two...a mint, original, 1960's Charter Arms Undercover and a 25 year old home defense Mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel. Both private sales to a friend. So now I'm down to less than 45 firearms, but still have everything/more than I need so I'm renewing the pledge for 2011. No More Guns.....

I am indeed impressed. A man of his word is something to behold today. You just gave me renewed hope that 2011 will certainly be a better year:)

surv:cool:

ltxi
01-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I am indeed impressed. A man of his word is something to behold today. You just gave me renewed hope that 2011 will certainly be a better year:)

surv:cool:

Thank you, sir. You were the decided skeptic, along with Bwanna and a few others. With any luck I'll continue to be worthy of the confidence. Will report back next year. :cool:

mr surveyor
01-01-2011, 08:01 PM
:):):)

Bawanna
01-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Thank you, sir. You were the decided skeptic, along with Bwanna and a few others. With any luck I'll continue to be worthy of the confidence. Will report back next year. :cool:

I assume you'll stick around to talk about the old stuff. Your not taking a year hiatus from kahrtalk, now that would be an impossible resolution.

ltxi
01-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I assume you'll stick around to talk about the old stuff. Your not taking a year hiatus from kahrtalk, now that would be an impossible resolution.

True that...I'm a life long gun person and will continue to shoot, work on, and annoy. Just ain't gonna buy any more guns this year; again. Last year it was the carpet thing, new furniture, and 16 windows. This year wife wants to rebuild most of the rest of the house. Fair enough, actually, after 20 some years.

mr surveyor
01-01-2011, 11:19 PM
20 something years.... that's just about what we did with our current house. We completely redid two bedrooms ourselves, including crown molding and corner blocks. Stripped the walls and ceiling down to a smooth surface (I hated that nasty "blown in" styrofoam ceiling), had to re tape and bed most of the ceiling, and I borrowed a mud gun from my bro in law and did the diy thing. The next year we hired a contractor to do all the rest of the house...except for our bedroom and bath....it still isn't done.....five years and counting:o After the remodel, I did kind of go on a gun spending spree for 2-3 years, but had to get a rein on that for a while. Still paying for the remodel too:rolleyes:

ltxi
01-02-2011, 08:37 AM
So you understand the problem well enough. And the house itself is actually well over 30 years old. We did get the exterior done last year, also, but that was mostly just some paint as the siding is 90% brick. And the insurance company replaced the roof, again, in 2009 after a hailstorm.
But...next week there are five more windows going in. Come spring two replacement french doors opening out onto the deck....which also needs to be rebuilt. Three more bedrooms need reflooring in hardwood and the master bath needs to be rebuilt. And with this all coming out of a cash account it doesn't leave justifiable room for more guns I don't really need.
Fortunately I completely remodeled the kitchen myself a few years ago before my aging back turned on me and I can still do interior painting or there wouldn't be any more guns in 2012, either. :75:

O'Dell
01-02-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm with you Itxi, I now have 11 45's, a 9mm car gun and a 380. It's becoming a chore to go to the range, but I feel guilty is I don't shoot them all regularly. I used to enjoy the range. Reminds me of the 70's and 80's when I had two or three motocycles all the time, and felt like I had to ride each one every week or so. It took all the fun out of riding.

NO MORE GUNS, and if I get the chance, I may even sell one or two. Now I have to decide which child to sell - it never ends!!

LuckyGunner
01-06-2011, 07:26 PM

I had the same New Years resolution. It lasted exactly 7 days. I get to pick up my CZ Rami tomorrow. I really thought I would hold off and not purchase anymore firearms until I caught up on the mods I need to get done.

I have a rifle or two that are missing the proper scopes. Couple handguns that need night sights. Need to order some more holsters also. But instead I keep buying new firearms as soon as I can. I guess I have an incurable disease.

cgo99
01-06-2011, 08:54 PM
And you chose the year of the anniversary of the venerable 1911 to make this resolution???????????????? :eek:
Besides being a little blasphemous forgive me if I question your timing but......... I question your timing; Couldn't it wait for next year or something?

recoilguy
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
I made that resolution last year.....I only bought 2

RCG

desmo21
01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Me too.... Well maybe the Colt New Agent DAO, and the SIG 290..., the Ruger LC9.... that should do it. Now next month????

johnh
01-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Ouch, a whole year with no new guns. :eek: And he made it! No way I could do that. You have my respect for a far stronger backbone than I have.

So far my first 2011 purchase just showed up, a lovely Saiga 12 conversion complete with two eight round magazines. I have another five mags from AGP's "do it yourself" mag kits ready to assemble. This weekend I order a 12 round drum, folding stock assembly, and rail system. :33:

Then there is that new bullpup, 14 shot, Kel-tec pump shotgun that is coming out sometime in 2011-12. I will likely buy one of those too. Or maybe another Saiga 12...

I am hopeless. No point in even thinking about resolutions...

John

PaiN
01-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Did I happen to mention that I'm done for the year(and maybe forever) with my acquisition of the K9.

:rain:

yqtszhj
01-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm with you Itxi, I now have 11 45's, a 9mm car gun and a 380. It's becoming a chore to go to the range, but I feel guilty is I don't shoot them all regularly. I used to enjoy the range. Reminds me of the 70's and 80's when I had two or three motocycles all the time, and felt like I had to ride each one every week or so. It took all the fun out of riding.

NO MORE GUNS, and if I get the chance, I may even sell one or two. Now I have to decide which child to sell - it never ends!!

Sell the kids first. It's more cost effective. Expensive critters they are...

Bawanna
01-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Did I happen to mention that I'm done for the year(and maybe forever) with my acquisition of the K9.

:rain:

Forever can be a terribly long time. Why suffer any of it for lack of new toys?

So far I've made it the first week with zero aquisitions but I feel it coming.

I know I gotta get a cleaning rod for my new 17HMR but that hardly counts.

ltxi
01-08-2011, 04:18 PM
And you chose the year of the anniversary of the venerable 1911 to make this resolution???????????????? :eek:
Besides being a little blasphemous forgive me if I question your timing but......... I question your timing; Couldn't it wait for next year or something?

Nope....made it last year. This year's just a renewal.

O'Dell
01-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Sell the kids first. It's more cost effective. Expensive critters they are...

By child I was referring to my pistols - I tend to look on them with affection. My only "kid" is 43 years old and I could probably get more for a SIG or H&K than for him. JUST KIDDING!! He did give me a LCP for Christmas.

O'Dell
01-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Forever can be a terribly long time. Why suffer any of it for lack of new toys?

So far I've made it the first week with zero aquisitions but I feel it coming.

I know I gotta get a cleaning rod for my new 17HMR but that hardly counts.

Right, cleaning supplies don't count. I helped with my "no new guns" policy by buying two 1911's the last week of December plus I got the LCP for Christmas. My hunger is currently satisfied.

Bawanna
01-08-2011, 10:49 PM
By child I was referring to my pistols - I tend to look on them with affection. My only "kid" is 43 years old and I could probably get more for a SIG or H&K than for him. JUST KIDDING!! He did give me a LCP for Christmas.

He's just trying to suck up to ya with that LCP and cut me out of the will. I'm gonna get ya a Wilson for Easter pops!

O'Dell
01-08-2011, 11:04 PM
He's just trying to suck up to ya with that LCP and cut me out of the will. I'm gonna get ya a Wilson for Easter pops!

Really! I'd definitely rewrite the will for that. BTW, my birthday is February 29th.

Bawanna
01-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Really! I'd definitely rewrite the will for that. BTW, my birthday is February 29th.

Duly noted dad. Isn't that close to Valentines day too. How coincidental. Dang I'm turning into a slobbering romantic like Dietrich and perhaps a bit vultureous too. I'm ashamed of myself for my gluttonous and greety ways.

jlottmc
01-09-2011, 03:50 PM
The thread title is something that will only escape my fingers or lips when somebody who is not me is dreaming. I just can't do that, but then again I am still in the middle of rebuilding my arsenal from days gone by, and I have a ways to go. Then again, I like to play with guns that interest me too, and as long as there are old military guns around then I know I can find something to help with that. I also like the new stuff, I just got a Smith SD40 and positively love it. I also just picked up a CZ-52, and my much sought after M44 Moisin-Nagant. I will play with the new old guns soon as well.

deuce
01-09-2011, 07:32 PM
yeah, right.... and I'm going to lose 25 pounds, recuce my beer consumption to a 6 pack a week, stop putting cigars in the humidor, be more sensitive..... blah....blah....blah......

surv:DWow, this seems possible but no more guns this years....OMG!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

mr surveyor
01-09-2011, 08:16 PM
hey... I've almost figured out a way to make mine happen.....

Lose 25 pounds: Stop carrying around the danged cooler full of beer

Limit to 6 pack a week: simple...buy six packs of "forties"

No more cigars in the Humidor: Go to cigar shop once a week rather than monthly

Be more sensitive: Still trying to figure that one out - no solution

surv:D

yqtszhj
01-09-2011, 08:26 PM

I'd keep him. He picked you a really nice super compact pocket .380. I probably have 1000+ rounds through mine and it goes bang every time.

ltxi
10-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Been putting off this confession for the last four days, until I actually picked up and fired the the damn thing. If I didn't think I really owed it to mr surveyor, in particular, to come clean, I most likely would have put it off longer.

Barely two months away from the end of my second, renewed pledge year, I totally fell apart and bought a new gun. And, it's not even a Kahr.

For anyone interested in pathetic details of my complete moral collapse...an M&P 340 with no internal lock that given my own, actually competent, trigger work has the promise of being my best J-frame ever. This despite the fact that the evil b***h tried to rip off my thumb when I couldn't resist running a cylinder full of .357 Gold Dots through it. Deserved retribution.

Even worse....much like a 16 year old suddenly no longer virgin the pent up dam has now burst and I really want more. In my case, old/worn out/happily married, that almost sadly equates to a Sig P238 and an NAA Ranger....for the moment.

Bottom line....really sorry to disappoint and I'm now headed off to stick my head in the toilet.

Bawanna
10-21-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm astonished that you made it long as you did. I knew it wouldn't last forever. I gave up even trying myself. Like getting off cigarettes. I finally pulled that off 5 or 6 years ago but I'm not going through that to stop buying guns.

You know when your driving down the freeway and you just feel like opening the door and stepping out, your under too much stress.

I got a new gun inbound and I'm already looking for 2 more, and on bad days a 3rd and I got a possilbe trade in the hopper too.

I'm a gun addict.

MW surveyor
10-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Your doing better than me. Got the 1911 and then said to myself, sure would be good to have a 22 conversion kit for it. Dang. Not sure if the conversion kit only counts as 1/2 of a gun.

tv_racin_fan
10-21-2011, 08:54 PM
WOW you made it a LONG time.

My wife told me I had enough firearms. I took her to the pawn/gun shop and bought two in front of her... course I also told her to buy that necklace she was looking at but wouldn't because she said it cost to much. Then I went back to that same shop and bought another rifle (Mosin Nagant hex receiver to go with the two round receiver I had bought on that other trip).

Then a couple months back I walked into a different pawn/gun shop to see a used firearm sale sign and a barely touched 2 1/4" SP101 in 357 for under $400... When the wife shot it a few times she remarked she would like to have one herself. So one day while we were out I stopped at the first shop and sure enough they had one I could have for $400... going to put the Wolff Springs Spring Pack in it shortly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/219401/wolff-shooters-spring-pack-ruger-sp-101

If you own a Ruger GP 100 or the SP101 you should seriously get one of the spring packs. The difference is very very noticeable.

Bawanna
10-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Wonder if that spring kit would work on my SP101 22. I don't see it mentioned. Might have to send em a question about that.

The trigger is way to heavy on it.

Barth
10-22-2011, 02:19 AM
Wonder if that spring kit would work on my SP101 22. I don't see it mentioned. Might have to send em a question about that.

I've got professional action jobs on both my Smiths 629/342 and highly recommend it.
Two of the best advantages revolvers have over auto loaders
are trigger jobs and custom grips. Not that you can't do that to an auto.
Just seems like it's easier and there are more options.

I read about the S&W Air Weights having heavy, creepy, triggers.
The S&W 640-1s are famous for glassy double action out of the box.
My 640-1 is great.
But clearly not as light and glassy as my S&W 342 ti
with an action job and stainless steel trigger assembly.

My 640-1 stainless steel trigger assembly is scheduled to arrive today.
Then it's off to the armorer for a trigger job and a XS Big Dot for the nose - LOL!

Eagle Black Onyx Secret Service grips are on order for it.
But I can't wait.

tv_racin_fan
10-22-2011, 03:43 AM

I don't see why it wouldn't sir.

I know my wife really likes the SP101 with the spring kit installed. I been thinkin about getting a bobbed hammer to install in hers. Also thinkin about a serious melt job since I carry in my pocket.

jocko
10-22-2011, 06:05 AM
I've got professional action jobs on both my Smiths 629/342 and highly recommend it.
Two of the best advantages revolvers have over auto loaders
are trigger jobs and custom grips. Not that you can't do that to a auto.
Just seems like it's easier and there are more options.

I read about the S&W Air Weights having heavy, creepy, triggers.
The S&W 640-1s are famous for glassy double action out of the box.
My 640-1 is great.
But clearly not as light and glassy as my S&W 342 ti
with an action job and stainless steel trigger assembly.

My 640-1 stainless steel trigger assembly is scheduled to arrive today.
Then it's off to the armorer for a trigger job and a XS Big Dot for the nose - LOL!

Eagle Black Onyx Secret Service grips are on order for it.
But I can't wait.

a 342 Ti. best compactI everowned. I had a trigger job done on it also and I had a set of CT grips on it. super shooter. Have no fokking idea why I sold that gun either. "stupid is as stupid does".:popcorn:

Barth
10-22-2011, 07:25 AM
a 342 Ti. best compactI everowned. I had a trigger job done on it also and I had a set of CT grips on it. super shooter. Have no fokking idea why I sold that gun either. "stupid is as stupid does".:popcorn:
LOL.
I picked it up new, before the scandium 357s.
Thought about upgrading to 357 three times over the years and trading the 342 in.
Three different gun shops told me I had the best light weight J-Frame I could own and just keep it and be happy!
(Plus friends were eager to take it off my hands)
I'm a slow learner, I finally decided the 11 oz gun is a keeper.
(especially with new high tech bullets for short barrels these days)
It's not going anywhere

QuercusMax
10-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Having just noticed this recently-revived thread, I'm going back to the original subject.

I'm not ready to swear off buying any new guns, but after having acquired a number of very nice little friends in the past year, I'm going to stop making any new acquisitions for a while now. Here's why:

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed that a great deal of the pleasure I get from things is in the planning and anticipation of them, which in many cases has equalled the pleasure received at the moment of fulfillment. In other words, once I acquire (or do) something, I mostly stop dreaming about it because it has now become a reality and is not longer something that I long for.

The other reason is that (again, maybe just me) I derive a fixed amount of pleasure from any one event, thus if I were to buy multiple guns at one time or within a short amount of time (as I have done recently) I don't get any more enjoyment from having acquired multiple items. I think this is because my attention is divided between multiple items instead of being concentrated on just one, and thus I find it better to acquire things slowly over time so I can thoroughly enjoy each one.

Sorry if this is excessively philosophical, but one of my numerous pastimes besides guns is trying to understand life, people, and myself, and so I am just sharing some of my own insights.

But because dreams and goals are what drive us forward, I am also going to enjoy the anticipation of things I have on my wish list, most of which are not readily available from the sources I look at, and hopefully will add a few new objects of desire to my collection if and when they become available. For example, I can really imagine a Colt SAA 45LC with 5 1/2" barrel someday when I find just the right one - or maybe two: one for each holster.

ltxi
10-22-2011, 11:03 AM

You should be able to lighten it somewhat. The mainsprings on .22 revolvers tend to be higher power, hence heavier trigger pull, for reliable rimfire ignition.

Bawanna
10-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Having just noticed this recently-revived thread, I'm going back to the original subject.

I'm not ready to swear off buying any new guns, but after having acquired a number of very nice little friends in the past year, I'm going to stop making any new acquisitions for a while now. Here's why:

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed that a great deal of the pleasure I get from things is in the planning and anticipation of them, which in many cases has equalled the pleasure received at the moment of fulfillment. In other words, once I acquire (or do) something, I mostly stop dreaming about it because it has now become a reality and is not longer something that I long for.

The other reason is that (again, maybe just me) I derive a fixed amount of pleasure from any one event, thus if I were to buy multiple guns at one time or within a short amount of time (as I have done recently) I don't get any more enjoyment from having acquired multiple items. I think this is because my attention is divided between multiple items instead of being concentrated on just one, and thus I find it better to acquire things slowly over time so I can thoroughly enjoy each one.

Sorry if this is excessively philosophical, but one of my numerous pastimes besides guns is trying to understand life, people, and myself, and so I am just sharing some of my own insights.

But because dreams and goals are what drive us forward, I am also going to enjoy the anticipation of things I have on my wish list, most of which are not readily available from the sources I look at, and hopefully will add a few new objects of desire to my collection if and when they become available. For example, I can really imagine a Colt SAA 45LC with 5 1/2" barrel someday when I find just the right one - or maybe two: one for each holster.

Some very good and insightful observations there Quercusmax. If you get a good handle on understanding people I'd like to volunteer myself as a test subject. I've been trying to figure myself out for a long time and can't find any answers, only more questions.

Far as new guns I think your right, I get myself into a shark eating frenzy wanting something and when I finally get it the fullfillment just don't seem to last as long after each acquisition. I think it's like crack, after a while you just have to have more and more to get the fullfillment.
I'll most likely never own a Colt SAA but I got a few 45LC clones that give me much pleasure. One of my current 3 right now is a Schofiled 5" 45LC. I'm hoping the pleasure last awhile when it finally comes home.

For myself I'm trying to use restraint and focus on no more than 3 at a time, which is trying sometimes but a man just has to know his limitations.

jeepster09
10-22-2011, 11:29 AM
I am trying to have some restraint.......I have been thinking I need a Rossi Ranch Hand in 44 mag [after watching Zombie Land with Woody Harrelson].

JFootin
10-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I can really imagine a Colt SAA 45LC with 5 1/2" barrel someday when I find just the right one - or maybe two: one for each holster.

Of course, that would also involve the search and acquisition of one of those real fancy cowboy belt and holster sets to put them in! Double the pleasure!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Miscellanious%20Guns%20and%20Holsters/CowboyRig.jpg

Bawanna
10-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I am trying to have some restraint.......I have been thinking I need a Rossi Ranch Hand in 44 mag [after watching Zombie Land with Woody Harrelson].

Thats one of the other of my 3, actually 4, not doing to good at restraint. But I want a 45 Colt. I'm still perplexed on how to shoot it but the cool factor is off the charts, gotta have one.

Far as cowboy holsters go Jfooting, the search is over, just go to Mernickle, he's got cowboy stuff that will blow your socks off with tightly tied laced up boots on. Very nice stuff. And Bob and his wife are right up there with Ron & Sheryl Garret in being nice to deal with too.

Barth
10-22-2011, 01:35 PM
What were we talking about again?
http://www.justpistols.co.uk/saa_003.jpg

http://www.tokyohobby.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/M/a/Marushin_Colt_S.A.A.45_Peacemaker_TCH_sore.jpg

http://www.z-shops.eu/images/88888888880g.jpg

http://www.reigelgunengraving.com/images/Colt_SAA_right_reigelgunengraving2.com.jpg

ltxi
10-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Since this thread no longer serves any purpose for me other than a continued reminder of weakness, I'm closing out my participation with a final observation or two, or whatever, and the hope that within a month, max, it will all be forgotten.

-- If you're a real gun guy, do not try this at home. It will only lead to frustration and, most likely, tears.
-- When you finally break down, it will be really bad. For whatever bizzare reason, being waterboarded comes to mind. In addition to the two new hand guns I already confessed to now "needing" yesterday, I've already added another....a black NS K40. This came to me this afternoon as I was cleaning my G23 and G27, both of which I'd taken with me for a functional checkout after spring replacements when I picked up and fired new J-frame mistress. That I already have a far too expensive Del Fatti holster that will fit it isn't helping.
-- If you're both a real gun guy and have more money than sense you are doubly screwed. With deference to QuercusMax's astute and completely rational observations, that doesn't work for me. At least wrt guns. Women would be a different story...or were in the distant past in case my wife reads this. Any one out there with a NIB or mint NAA Ranger for sale? I'm seriously up for it.

Anyway....having originally invited ya'll to this party, I thank you for coming and for all your support over the last almost two years. I'm headed home now, but please feel free to stay as long as you like....the open bar closes at midnight.

QuercusMax
10-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Of course, that would also involve the search and acquisition of one of those real fancy cowboy belt and holster sets to put them in! Double the pleasure!

What were we talking about again?

Stop it !!! You guys are KILLING ME with that stuff!!!! How do you expect me to go to sleep tonight after seeing those pictures? So much for trying to stave off the urge to acquire more firearms....

I admit that I am just a wannabe cowboy originally from Minnesota, but one of my neighbors out here in Idaho is a REAL cowboy. The first time I met him, he was casually riding up the trail to my ranch on his horse with an old saddle, old boots, old hat, and old set of leather holsters with a pair of really nice looking Colts nestled inside. I didn't even know that people like that existed any more. Made me wonder what I had been doing with my life up to this point. I'm pretty much "all hat, no cattle" compared to that.

I suppose one thing that really appeals to me about cowboys is that for them, firearms were just a natural thing, something they would always have with them much as the rest of us carry a wallet or cell phone today. **sigh**

Bawanna
10-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Sucks to be born 100 years too late. I know, it happened to me.