PDA

View Full Version : New K40 Stainless

Bkahrfull
09-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello All, first time poster here. I am picking my new K40 this Friday, I am trading a 2 year old Taurus 24/7 which was Ok. I was looking for something a little smaller and easier to conceal.

I shot a buddy's K40 and fell in love with it. My question is "what is the proper break in time with this gun and what type ammo do any of you suggest using for the breakin period? Also, anything to avoid?

yqtszhj
09-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Welcome. it should shoot most anything. Prep and lube based on the links below and you should have nothing but a good time.

Prep link
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

Lube diagram
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=308

Bkahrfull
09-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Good stuff to know, thanks yqtszhj!

Bawanna
09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Welcome bkahrfull, excellent screen name by the way.

I'd just add not to waste your money on any of the expensive defense ammo until you get a couple hundred or so through it and it's running smooth. Then pick your carry ammo and make sure it works.

They generally are not ammo sensitive so pick what you like or have good access too and give it a try.

Lots of smart guys and good help here if you want it, glad you found us.

Bkahrfull
09-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks Bawanna, can't wait to pick it up. I'm gonna clean/lube it up on Friday night and then head to the range on Sunday and try to put 100-150 rounds (Winchester FMJ) through her. I've had no issues with those with my Taurus and have a pretty good stash at home.

P.S. My buddies are ex-military and have beaten the safety thing into me when handling any firearms!!

wayneo1
09-21-2011, 01:12 PM
I love kahrs all metal guns and you will too. They are like little jewels with a big sting. :) Good luck and let us know how you do.

Bkahrfull
09-22-2011, 07:16 AM
I'll post up Sunday and let you know how the trial run went.

JFootin
09-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the forum! You got one of the jewels of Kahr's line. And, of course, it is so thin, uncluttered and compact that it is a great carry weapon.

I am interested in your opinion, having owned a Taurus. I have been looking at the Taurus 800 Series, the 845 (http://kahrtalk.com/Taurus) in particular. Not a small gun, but more ergonomic and with a thinner grip than the 24/7. And it is traditional SA/DA with ambidextrous safety and slide release, which is important for lefties like me. The price is more than right at around $350, and they have a .22lr conversion kit for it to enable very cheap target practice. I am thinking the 845 would be a nice choice for a full size, but still carry-able, .45 platform. What do you think? What is your overall impression of Taurus firearms? And how is their customer service (if you have any experience with them)?

Bkahrfull
09-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I really liked my 24/7, no real issues with it, just a little bigger than I wanted. I had a few FTF's in the beginning but that went away after it was broken in, I had the 15 round mags which made it tough to conceal.

The only bad issue with a Taurus I had was a Mil-Pro .40, I kept hitting the release on the mag, it drove me nuts. Come to find out this was an issue a few years back with this particular gun; so I traded it in for the current 24/7 Pro DS.

I never had to deal with Taurus CS. But I have heard mostly positive responses with their lifetime warranty. There's always a few incidents of unhappy customers but your only getting half the story.

I don't know about the 800 series. I did hear lots of good thinks about the 740 slim series.

sharpetop
09-24-2011, 05:07 PM
My K40 shoots great. I've shot all kinds of factory ammo, including self defense ammo, and have had no issues. To me, there is less felt recoil than my larger Glock 23 and it's every bit as accurate. I hope your K40 works well for you.

wyntrout
09-25-2011, 04:39 AM
I was looking for a K40 stainless since I have a K9 and love it, but I couldn't CCW the K9 and I had a chance to get the Magna-Ported P40, so I jumped on that. I think I'll have it where I want in reliability after the next range trip. The porting really helps tame the lighter pistol and must get it closer to the K40 in recoil. The size is the same and they are both beautiful compact guns... about the largest pistol I would want to try CCW with, too.
The K9 and the K40 are the most beautiful and best-feeling guns I've seen and held. I'm still waiting on a K45!

Check out the videos for your new Kahr at the Kahr.com site. There are links under Kahr-Tech here in the first sticky. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new pistol!

Wynn:)

Bkahrfull
09-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Wow, what a day. I took the new K40 to the range today. I put 125 rounds through it, not one FTF or FTE!!!

My grouping was ok, but then again, I am not the best shooter in the world by any stretch. Practice, practice, practice. I need to get acquainted with the trigger pull.

My buddy who is retired USAF took 4 straight shots from 10 yards out put'em nearly dead center on the target, yikes! So I know there is no issue with this gun.

I think I'm gonna like this gun.

Goldstar225
09-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Congratulations on your K40. I've had mine for a few months now and am extremely pleased with it. After a bad experience with a CW40, I deliberately did what I could to make this one fail. Right out of the box, no prep, 300 rounds over three range sessions without cleaning. Not one failure. Cleaned it up, put it on my belt and haven't looked back. It gets shot every trip to the range.

Bkahrfull
10-24-2011, 06:14 AM
I went to the range again yesterday and put 160 rounds through the K40, again not one FTF, FTE or jam!! Wow, never had a gun that did that. Close to 300 rounds so far and not one issue. BTW using Winchester 165 FMJs. I did strip it down last night and gave it a good cleaning!

I'm lovin this thing!!

cgff
10-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Congratulations on the K40!! Keep posting on range reports, I am trying to decide on a
safe mate for my p-40 covert.

jocko
10-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Nice gun. PORT IT and u will love it more..

Bkahrfull
10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I was thinking of that jocko, just have get off my butt and do it!

Bkahrfull
11-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Another 100 rounds. FLAWLESS!!!

Bkahrfull
08-28-2012, 01:52 PM
I know this post is old, but just a follow up once more. Nearly 1,500 rounds and still not one FTF or FTE! Incredible, I love this thing.

Barth
08-29-2012, 08:11 AM
My new MK40 Elite was uber tight NIB.
I had fairly regular FTF in the first 200 rounds.
Gun was very difficult to field strip and reassemble.
Things smoothed out some after that.
But still had sporadic FTF until I reached 400 rounds.
Then the gun finally loosened up, ran like butter and flawless.

I think the 3.0" micro 40 with dual captured recoil springs may be just like that.

If your K40 started out reliable?
Then it's going to stay that way.
Sounds like clear sailing for you!

Enjoy your new Kahr and welcome to the family.

7shot
08-29-2012, 11:45 AM
congrats on your new K40...a buddy of mine has one and my shooting his led me to getting my K9. you love it, the K series shoot like-a-dream. best conceal gun on the market!