PDA

View Full Version : Why should (or shouldn't) i buy a sig p238...

popgoestheweasel
09-23-2011, 09:07 PM
when i already have a mk9 elite??? i've never shot my mk9 but i'm about to take the plunge into ccw and i have some decisions to make.

to make matters more complicated, i'm even waffling about trading my mk9 elite for a pm9 to make ccw more comfortable.

geez, why do my hands have to be so BIG...otherwise i'd probably like the small sized pistols alot better. sorry....just an idle thought!!!

btw, i'm new to kahr talk....only my second post. howdy all!!!

TominCA
09-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I do not own a P238 but I've had a Colt Govt. 380 which is very similar. Nice pistol and feels great in your hand. But it is really a very different animal than an MK9 - I own both an MK9 and a PM9 - The MK9 is beautifully made and shoots like a dream, but it is too heavy for a pocket. The PM9 carries much better.

Back to the difference I mentioned earlier: The Sig is a single action pistol which operates much like the 1911. There is more to do to get it in action. It can also fire very fast and "feels good" like a 1911. The Kahrs are more like double action only revolvers; Point gun at bad guy, pull trigger, repeat as necessary.

Every time (of the few times) that I have needed a handgun it has always been a time of great stress, sudden immediacy and lots of noise and confusion and you don't always have both hands available. Racking a slide or even flicking a safety can be a big task when all you have going is your limbic nervous system.

But my Colt 380 is a really fun gun to shoot and fits the hand naturally and feels great, but for carry I would prefer the PM9 (first choice for pocket) or the MK9 in an IWB holster. If the MK / PM grip is tough on your hand size get a grip sleeve. I have one on my MK9 and it works great.

wyntrout
09-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Welcome aboard a great forum!

I would vote for a CM9, or the PM9 if you want to spend that much. Or if you want the smallest one, get the P380... same K.I.S.S. operation as the other Kahrs and the same controls as the big guns, except the annoying things like safeties and magazine disconnects that could hinder getting into action quickly under stress.

Whatever you get, get a decent holster and have at least three magazines... allowing a spare in addition to a carry reload. We've seen a rash of magazine failures and even more than one at a time, so spares are nice, even though Kahr will replace the failed ones.

Good places to find spare mags:
Ivanhoe Warehouse Outlet http://www.ivanhoeoutlet.com/shop/ (http://www.ivanhoeoutlet.com/shop/)
and Cheaper Than Dirt http://www.cheaperthandirt.com (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/)

Wynn:yo:

Unythios
09-24-2011, 04:03 AM
I've held the P238 but have never shot it. My cop buddy has and he says it shoots like a dream. I'd say if you're comfortable with carrying it locked and loaded (hammer back) with safety on and it only being a .380 then go for it.

I know the Sig weighed more than my CM9 (both were unloaded.)

Me personally I would go and shoot a CM/PM9 and see how much different it is than your MK9. Then shoot the Sig and see what you like best. Good luck

Edit: Welcome to Kahr Talk!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

FLBri
09-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Good morning, PGTW
I own all three weapons. MK9 Elite , PM9 Black Rose, and a Sig P238. They all have their place, to me. Without a doubt the MK is way too heavy for pocket, but is a great shooter. The PM9 carries front pocket very easily and gives firepower advantage over the P238.

But there is something about that Sig that is easy to love. I am comfortable with flicking the safety on draw (keeping one in the chamber). Cocked and locked doesn't bother me and a good pocket holster is critical. The single action trigger is perfect for controllable repeated accuracy. I convince myself of it's necessity by thinking it would be the more controllable weapon in a one handed self defense situation. If I had to shoot through auto glass, though, I doubt it would do much harm stopping an attacker (the second shot would). Bottom line is I just love the feel and ease of shooting and it's a cool sexy little pistol. (I use the 7 round mags).

I feel with those three guns I have self defense covered with the best choices for their intended purposes. I love them all. If I was FORCED to give one up .... first to go would be the Sig, second the MK. The PM9 will do all the jobs of the other two.

Recently I gave my Sig to my wife. She shoots it so well, and she likes it enough that she will carry it ... where her J frame always got left in the car. I bought myself a brand new one, and have never fired it yet. 2 7 rnd mags, two tone and rosewood grips, with Crimson trace installed (and night sites). Ive cleaned and lubed it, but have yet to take it to the range as I toy with the idea of selling it and staying with the PM9 .... soooo hard to make tough decisions like that. If interested, feel free to PM or Email me.
Hope that helps some. I feel you pain (lust).

Bill K
09-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Welcome to KahrTalk!

You should buy the Sig if you find you much prefer a 1911 like action along with thumb safety over the action and lack of thumb safety of Kahrs and similar guns. Personally I don't and won't mix actions in choosing my carry guns. Clear, draw, point & shoot. Safety is a longish 5# or greater trigger pull.

CJB
09-24-2011, 06:45 AM
The 238 is nearly parts-interchangeable with the Colt. The Colt design had a few problems, but not many. There were some safety/fitment issues way back in the day - with a recall being had, but that was an isolated "parts not right" problem with the way the thumb safety worked. I dont remember the details with full certainty. Once you got them to feed, they fed well, and reliably. There were, and still are, the occasional feeding issues (please refer to the Sig forum for lots of details there, go searching). Sig makes them right. Wow, imagine that, Kahr isn't the only company to have occasional problems.... We used to rework the Colt's in our shop back in the day. It was basic stuff, rounding the edges on the feed ramp, making sure it was polished out nicely. There were also a few that broke the underlug of the barrel back in the day, but I think that problem was metallurgy, not an inbred design problem. They also made an aluminum frame model, that was very nice, lighter of course, and worked equally well.

And then there was little "Mustang".... which Colt recently re-interoduced. I dont know if they're available yet, but they're machined from bar stock slide (and frame too they say but I have my reservations on that - I think they're machined from really nice castings - still acceptable). Should be a nice little gun at 12ounces.

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 07:02 AM
first off, i've never shot or carried my mk9 elite. long story short, i just haven't been motivated to carry even though i am permitted. it's really all about 'the hassle' of holsters and comfort. i broke out my mk the other day and thought...what was i thinking when i bought this beauty? seems the trigger reach for my hand size is sooo short, the trigger is no where near the tip of the finger, rather it's half way up my finger. i've seen where hogue make a grip sleeve......hogue junior?.....and i've though about buying to see if it makes me more comfy.

believe it or not, even without ever shooting my mk (trigger reach issue aside), i've thought about getting a pm9 just to eliminate the excuse for not carrying. i might be willing to throw it in my pocket (with a good pocket holster) where i would only carry the mk9 in an iwb....and i struggle wondering if there is such a thing as a comfy iwb. this is where i've also considered a sig p238 BUT, for many of the reasons mentioned above, it seems to make more sense to forego the sig and get the pm9. not much, if any difference in size and why not go with the 9mm.

ahh, the holster thing. i know pocket carry will be a nuisance for me and probably will discourage me from ever carrying. so, i'm thinking about 3 different holsters for either my mk9 or a pm9. first, the silent thunder iwb. seems it's getting rave reviews here on kahr talk. second, buy a remora. thirdly, buy a crossbreed minituck (just because i wonder about the single clip of the silent thunder...even thought i think it would be more comfortable/versatile than the cbmt. any thoughts?????

FLBri
09-24-2011, 08:32 AM
I found that in order for me to be motivated to carry consistently, that pocket is the only way to go. Your mileage may vary. For self defense, The way I'm built, IWB just pulls my pants down, and I can't get used to it. Pocket is very natural to me and so that is what I gauge all my other decisions around. Also, living in Florida it limits dressing for concealment.

As I said below, you can't lose with a PM9/CM9. Mine has never malfunctioned once, including break-in. It's the last handgun I would ever get rid of.

I use the hand all Jr on both the MK9 and the PM9.

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 09:08 AM
seems no matter what 'pocket sized' pistol i decide upon carrying, the 'trigger reach' is going to feel a bit awkward since i have rather large hands, not to mention the dreaded 2 finger grip. yeah, they all have extended mags that will address the 'dangling pinky' but none of them are going to feel as comfy as my old browning hi-power. that's just a fact of life that i've got to accept. different guns for different situations.

while waffling between using/keeping my mk9 elite or buying a sig p238 OR kahr pm9, i've thought about the kahr k9....just to address the issue with my large hand. i'll bet that k9 is ONE SWEET PIECE. BUT, that totally throws away the occasional need to pocket carry and if i'm going buy a gun that is solely a holster hog, why not get a 40 or a 45cal. grrrrr

this mk9 is really a 'tweener' pistol....somewhere between pocket and holster. i'm sure it will shoot much nicer than the pm9 and would be acceptable taking to the range so i can master it as best i can. as for the sig p238....(dang, i like that pistol) it probably would be the nicest shooter (other than a k9), but i've got concerns carrying it condition 1 AND i'm not sure i want to start buying 380 ammo when all my other guns are 9mm. seems i should have purchased the pm9 but (for me) i just don't like plastic.

Bawanna
09-24-2011, 09:54 AM
The MK9 in a Silent Thunder will go virtually unnoticed on your hip. The single clip is solid and easy to take on and put off. The MK is a great little gun. Like you apparently I'd wear an eskimo parka in Phoenix in mid summer rather than pocket carry but many really like that option.

Keep in mind the MK to me anyway isn't a range gun, so you don't need to shoot it 300 rounds a week, shoot it often to get proficient and stay in tune but you can use something else for range for fun and practice.

Again this is just me but a c0cked and locked gun, even a 380 ain't going in my pocket, just not gonna happen.

You sound completely sold on the Sig and if thats the case theres probably no saving you. The PM or the CM would be even more comfy to carry over your MK and you could do the pocket carry if you had too or wanted to.

And they, the MK, PM and CM are all 9's. That says plenty in my book.

I think the minimal size improvement for your big hands would be negligible going to the K9 and if IWB works for you step up to the PM45 or the P or CW45. If your body is scaled to the size of your hands you can hide a pretty big gun with the right holster. I'm just a little bitty guy, you could whoop me easy without your lunch and no nap but I conceal a 1911 and a PM45 pretty easy. (warning) I am kind of wirey though.

Bottom line it's yours choice to make and we'll help ya whichever way you go. Your the one thats gonna live day to day with your choice.
The MK is a just a sweet gun too, I'd be hard pressed to part with that one.

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 10:24 AM
while i like the idea, looks, weight, shootability, etc. of the sig p238, i just can't imagine myself feeling comfy with carrying it cocked and locked in my pocket (even with a pocket holster). not sure i like it on my hip....and i'm damned sure my girlfriend would be a nervous wreck should she decide to carry. i was just dreaming that she would love the p238 and the 380 cal would be so nice and easy for her to shoot. i know, why not the kahr p380....well, why, when all my guns are 9mm would i want to start buying 380 ammo?

i just keep going back to 'i should have bought the pm9 in all black'. is there really much difference in shootability/comfort between it and the mk9? i know there is a world of difference in carrying (and the option of occasional pocket carry) the pm9 vs. mk9.

as for my mk9 concerns with the 'skinny' grip....i think i'll try the hogue grip sleeve and see how i like it. the short trigger reach...well, i guess it's just the price i have to pay for comfort and concealment if i'm ever going to start carrying. geez, i'm soooo tired of nice handguns locked away in a safe.

Bawanna
09-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Don't get hung up on the theory that a girl needs a soft shooting 380. Even the girliest girl can handle a 9 in the right platform.

Story for reference. I attended a Winchester ammunition workshop a few years ago, where they shoot several brands of bullets into ballistic gelatin and compare and measure. They put all the recovered bullets on a nice board and give it to the hosting agency.

They had 9, 40, and 45. It was at our local prison shooting range. They had a female corrections officer shooting the 9 and the 40 and then a man shooting the 45. Most of the corrections officers didn't really have any interest and lounged around but I was very interested and was right in there helping to measure and photograph and I was right near the shooters.

During a lull or lunch break I got to chatting with the female officer and asked why she shot the 9 and the 40 but not the 45. Well she had it ingrained in her head that a 45 was just a punishing canon that she didn't want any part of.
Since we were on the range anyhow I asked the winchester guy if I could take her aside since it was a break and have her shoot both my 45 1911 and the Glock 45 they were using for the demo.
After the very first shot, she was like what was that? I inquired what she meant and she said this isn't punishing at all, it's more pleasant than the 40.

Well after lunch the male corrections officer was pretty much out of a job on the shooting bench and she smiled every time she pulled the trigger on that 45.

So the moral if anyone is into such things is let her decide. She might just like a 9 just fine.

As for your shootability between the MK and the PM, they will both be pleasant to shoot, it's the carry weight factor that is the issue and on the belt the MK won't be bad. Pocket, not so good.

FLBri
09-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree with Bawana. The Mk9 and PM9 are pretty similar in punch. What seems to be different is the sound and that can make you think the PM9 is snappier. The composite has a sharper report ... the steel is more muted. Kind of like getting hit with the flat side of a ruler on bare skin, or a round blunt pipe ... they both hurt, but different! LOL . I do think the MK is a bit softer on the recoil, but not even enough to factor into a preference equation. If I had one, and not the other, I wouldn't even consider it.

BTW, I use the pearce grip extensions. My hands are just over average size. They allow just enough to get my pinky on the grip. Perfect for me.

As for cocked and locked, I realize most would agree with you, and I am in the minority. But there are so many redundant safety mechanisms on the Sig that I don't think of it as a problem, FOR ME. Nothing can go BANG unless the trigger is pulled. There is a manual safety as well as a secondary 'half cocked' stage in the hammer, that even if the hammer was released from it's cocked position (dropping etc.) there is a stop that will not allow the hammer to fall on the firing pin unless the trigger is also pulled. The trigger is a SA short travel, but it's not like a hairline SA revolver trigger or anything. It still takes a definitive 7# pull to fire.

Bottom line, to me, is that you have to be comfortable with the operation of the manual safety as second nature. I actually agree with the one poster that said it doesn't make sense to have multiple carry weapons of different operation types. This is one of the two main reasons that I am on the fence with my Sig ... the other being the .380 caliber.

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 01:42 PM
after re-reading my last post, i realized the 'girlfriend' thing was just thrown out here from nowhere. let me explain. i've got my mk9, again, never used/carried/fired. now, after 4 years, i'm wanting to change those sorry facts. so i break out the mk9 and start fondling...wondering if i made a mistake. i keep hearing my work-buddy tell me how i should sell my kahr mk9 and get a sig p238 like he is so in love with. i must admit, it has me thinking...particularly since i know if i'm ever going to start carrying, i'll want something lighter and pocketable (once in a while). again, i know i'll have to force the pocket carry because i hate bulk in my pocket to any extent.

so, i have a sig p226 (another questionable purchase that has hardly EVER been fired - 1/2 box of ammo, max) that i could sell. i've also got my mk9 elite. so, the dilemma is what should i unload (trade). i'm settling in on keeping the mk9 and getting the best iwb holster(s) and start carrying. so, i've got to get something in exchange for my p226. if i got a new pm9, it's almost a certainty i'll want to keep it for myself. in which case, it seems kinda foolish to own a pm9 and a mk9....hence the thought if i got a sig p238 it would be different enough from my mk9 giving me new things to play with. more importantly, i thought i could interest my girlfriend in ccw and the sig p238 would be a sweet shooter for her and i wouldn't feel the need to hoard it for myself like i would if i got a kahr pm9. good lord....i'm rambling.

bottom line, i don't think i can part with my mk9 over my sig p226. so, i'd better get used to a new holster and start carrying with the understanding it will never be tempting to carry in my pocket when wearing a pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt like i always wear in the summer. dang....cargo shorts all the time??????????

Barth
09-24-2011, 02:01 PM
You bought an MK9, but never shot it?
Are you kidding me?
Now you’re interested in concealed carry and rethinking your choice in guns?
You need to hit the range hard before you even consider carrying anything for self-defense.
The world is your backstop.
And I live in this world too.

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 02:12 PM
yup....never fired. i guess you didn't pick up on the sig p226 i own that has been fired less than 30 times? well.......something has to change and by golly, i'm going to make it happen. perhaps if i buy enough pistols (and holsters), i'll have a decent enough collection from which to choose the pistol that suits me perfectly.

you have to admit....that kahr mk9 elite sure is a beauty and it looks REALLY good in the box.

Barth
09-24-2011, 02:22 PM
yup....never fired. i guess you didn't pick up on the sig p226 i own that has been fired less than 30 times? well.......something has to change and by golly, i'm going to make it happen. perhaps if i buy enough pistols (and holsters), i'll have a decent enough collection from which to choose the pistol that suits me perfectly.

you have to admit....that kahr mk9 elite sure is a beauty and it looks REALLY good in the box.

Guns are really just tools, albeit serious and dangerous ones.
The best gun in the world will do you no good If you’re not proficient with it.

And yes,
1) Shooting lots of guns will give you the experience to pick the right gun for you.
2) The MK9 Elite is sweet. I own a MK40 Elite myself.

You might consider a professional self-defense handgun course.
That might peak your interest and give you invaluable training.
I really think everyone with a CC permit would benefit from such training.

Have a great weekend and be safe.

JFootin
09-24-2011, 02:31 PM
I think the beautiful checkered wood grips for the MK9 would give you more to hold onto. If not, I'll bet Bawanna, famous maker of Bawanna's Super Thin 1911 grips, could make you some beautiful Super Thick grips!

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 02:31 PM
dude, i'm 55 years old.....just for your information. however, i respect your suggestions. i know, there are plenty of 55 y/o men carrying a weapon that haven't a clue.....and that's a pretty scary thought.

i bought the mk9 elite with the intention of carrying it as a primary ccw. i bought a very expensive leather brommeland holster thinking it, along with the mk9 would be a pretty slick outfit. i guess i'm rethinking my decision and beginning to get 'more real'. i couldn't help myself.

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 02:37 PM
forgive me barth......i hope you don't think i was being rude with the dude comment. i appreciate your input.

Barth
09-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Forums are like email and easily misunderstood.
I try to take all posts in the best light.
No troubles.
Also talking handguns and self-defense is a touchy subject anyway.
Egos can get in the way.
This board seems to be unusual in the mature open nature
of sharing information and experiences on all things handguns.
That’s why I’m here.

And Dude, even though I don’t act like it, I’m 54 – LOL!

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 02:53 PM
yup, agreed.....

seems this thread has traveled full circle. bottom line, in buying the mk9, it seems i'm trying to force myself to carry it whereas with the sig p238, i'd probably WANT to carry it. same with the pm9, i believe.

FLBri
09-24-2011, 04:48 PM
yup, agreed.....

seems this thread has traveled full circle. bottom line, in buying the mk9, it seems i'm trying to force myself to carry it whereas with the sig p238, i'd probably WANT to carry it. same with the pm9, i believe.

BINGO!

(56 yesterday,Dude)

Bawanna
09-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Well you fellas gonna go out back and resort to fisticuffs or what? I might set up a vending stand and sell peanuts and beer. SAving up for a Ruger 1911 and I gotta make moolah any way I can.

Speaking as your senior, I'll be 57 in a couple weeks, Carry on.

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 07:15 PM
bawanna,

my goin outback days consist of "yes, i'll take the 12 oz filet, medium rare".

btw....you are an old fart

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 07:17 PM
one last point.....none of y'all have to worry about me being armed. i just keep my stuff in the safe and talk about it.

sierrajb
09-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Welcome to the forum and the Kahr! I have a PM9 and love it. Several of my friends own the P238 and they love it. I was tempted to buy the P238, but the power and versatility of the PM9 won me over. You've got a great selection, so you can't go wrong. Enjoy!

Bawanna
09-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah, me too, I'm really into textiles, knitting and macrame mostly. I made a delightful afgan a few months back, turned out really swell. I just made up all the gun stuff. I'm a poser.

Barth
09-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah, me too, I'm really into textiles, knitting and macrame mostly. I made a delightful afgan a few months back, turned out really swell. I just made up all the gun stuff. I'm a poser.

I Knew it - LOL!!!

popgoestheweasel
09-24-2011, 07:35 PM
bawanna,

i've got a great set of crimson trace laser knitting needles i'll sell ya.

Bawanna
09-24-2011, 08:49 PM
bawanna,

i've got a great set of crimson trace laser knitting needles i'll sell ya.

Man, I don't know, then I'd have to get a new knitting basket to accomodate the laser and my little purse dog might get scared if it activated and take a dump in my purse and well it would just get uglier and go down hill from there.

Course I have been aching to get me a new knitting basket anyhow, guess it would be a good time. I've been thinking of carrying my knitting needles concealed but not loaded with yarn, safety don't ya know. Sorry I just had to take that jab, I hate myself for it.

I wonder if the Garrets could me me a Silent Thunder knitting needle rig so I could carry IWB with my shawl as a covering garment.

popgoestheweasel
09-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Well, I think I've answered my own question that started this thread. I just came from a local gun shop and was able to get my hands on a Sig P238 with a laser grip. OMG, that pistol is DEFINITELY not for me. I certainly cannot see having to mess with a manual safety in the heat of the moment (for those inclined to use it). For as small as it is (compared to a kahr cm9, i think) it really didn't really feel much, if any lighter in weight. Most of all, for my large hands, it ABSOLUTELY doesn't work. The only good that gun would do for me is to throw it at a bad guy (point blank range) and hope I hit them squarely between the eyes causing an accidental discharge with the business end pointing at a vital organ. Geez, I guess my MK9 will be just fine for me......or perhaps I start looking at adding it's little brother, a PM9, to collection.

I will say, I handled a S&W (642 i think) with Crimson Trace laser and while I'm not interested in a revolver, I did find the CT laser has me thinking I may want it added to either my mk9 or even a pm9 should i decide to buy one. I see some real value with the laser for these OLD and TIRED eyes. I guess I'll have to take a look at what Kahr has to offer.

Finnster
10-08-2011, 02:14 AM
seems no matter what 'pocket sized' pistol i decide upon carrying, the 'trigger reach' is going to feel a bit awkward since i have rather large hands, not to mention the dreaded 2 finger grip. yeah, they all have extended mags that will address the 'dangling pinky' but none of them are going to feel as comfy as my old browning hi-power. that's just a fact of life that i've got to accept. different guns for different situations.

while waffling between using/keeping my mk9 elite or buying a sig p238 OR kahr pm9, i've thought about the kahr k9....just to address the issue with my large hand. i'll bet that k9 is ONE SWEET PIECE. BUT, that totally throws away the occasional need to pocket carry and if i'm going buy a gun that is solely a holster hog, why not get a 40 or a 45cal. grrrrr

this mk9 is really a 'tweener' pistol....somewhere between pocket and holster. i'm sure it will shoot much nicer than the pm9 and would be acceptable taking to the range so i can master it as best i can. as for the sig p238....(dang, i like that pistol) it probably would be the nicest shooter (other than a k9), but i've got concerns carrying it condition 1 AND i'm not sure i want to start buying 380 ammo when all my other guns are 9mm. seems i should have purchased the pm9 but (for me) i just don't like plastic.

I ruled out a 380 and therefore your Sig because of the cost and limitations of the 380 ammo. A 9mm will actually pay for itself over time in the cost savings for ammo.

I ruled out the K9 because when I compared it to a Glock 26 and a S&W MP 9c it just did not feel good when I fired it. I bought the MP 9 compact. I enjoy the Smith but it is not in the clas with the MK9. It is almost large enough to be a service weapon.

I chose the MK 9 because it has the weight to absorb recoil and stay on target. I can fire 100 or more rounds and not feel like I have been punished. The MK 9 also is a superb pocket pistol either with or without a pocket holster and with the IWB holster it practically disappears.

If you still have doubts about the MK9 take it to a range and do this little test. Place two sheets of typing paper side by side and fire a few shots at one paper using the MK 9 then shoot at the other paper with the other pistol. Move the targets out at five yd. intervals until you reach 25 yds. You should find that the MK 9 puts more shots on target than any pistol in its class.

popgoestheweasel
10-08-2011, 12:46 PM
thanks finnster. while i agree overwhelmingly with your post, i do take issue with one of your points. i don't think the mk9 is a great pocket pistol due to its weight. at 22 oz, it's beyond what i will feel comfy stuffing inside a pocket holster and cramming inside a front pocket of anything....except a winter coat. that's why i'm likely going to trade a 'spare' pistol for a new pm9...all black with night sights.

i sincerely doubt there will be any sacrifice made in accuracy when comparing the pm9 to a mk9.....and the big bonus of a pm9 will surely show up on the occasional desire to pocket carry as it is 7 oz. lighter than the mk9. that's a substantial difference.

my biggest gripe with these small 'compact' pistols is my hand is large and the grips are sooooo small. i guess this goes to prove there isn't any one pistol that does everything for everybody. i'm hoping a pm9 will be a relative joy to carry iwb and at least tolerable for the occasional pocket carry. i've settled on the garrett 'silent thunder iwb' and likely a cross breed mini tuck (should the silent thunder disappoint). i might ever throw down 30 bucks for a remora as it seems to be quite versatile where the others are more of a 'one trick pony'. we'll see.

ltxi
10-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I went to the gun show yesterday. Hadn't been to one in about a year but was looking to check out a couple of guns. Ran across a dealer with a stock of about a half dozen variations of the P238. Well crap....I'm a long time fan of 1911s and carried a Mustang Pocketlite alongside a J-frame for many years. So I picked up a P238 and it was kinda like home again but so much better. Put it down like a hot potato, went home, and started researching it. Now I think really want one.

Barth
10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
I went to the gun show yesterday. Hadn't been to one in about a year but was looking to check out a couple of guns. Ran across a dealer with a stock of about a half dozen variations of the P238. Well crap....I'm a long time fan of 1911s and carried a Mustang Pocketlite alongside a J-frame for many years. So I picked up a P238 and it was kinda like home again but so much better. Put it down like a hot potato, went home, and started researching it. Now I think really want one.

Join the club - LOL!
http://vzgrips.com/img/category/SIG_P238_4ba10e6809664.jpg

popgoestheweasel
10-18-2011, 06:55 AM
barth, nice looking piece you have there. what grips are those?

yqtszhj
10-18-2011, 06:51 PM
I have a CM9 and large hands. It works fine. The P238 will likely be a great gun like my colt .380 but if you are not a single action person it's not a CCW gun. That's how I ended up with my LCP and Kahr.

You need to keep that MK9. It's one sweet pistol I wish I could add to my collection.

popgoestheweasel
10-18-2011, 07:24 PM
i can't do the sig p238......it just isn't for me. heck, it's all i can do to accept my mk9 elite let alone going any smaller. in addition, i'm not doing the s a thing. it's not me. i do know several people who own the sig 238 and they love it. to each their own.

TheTman
10-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Do you really want a .380 as your primary CC weapon? I hesitate go with anything smaller than a 9mm. I went to buy a .380 the other day and walked out with a LC9. Small enough to fit in my front pocket, but a little more velocity on the bullet. The MK9 is even smaller, though it weighs more. And you definately would want a front pocket holster to cover the trigger. I think I'd keep the MK9 or trade it for a PM9 or CM9 if they were more comfortable in your hand and less weight to tote around. I just went with the LC9 because it had a manual safety, which I want for a front pocket gun. I have an older friend who loves his 238 because his arthritis makes it hard to pull the trigger on the double action only pistols long trigger pull. It's a nice gun, but not for me, I'm not a cocked and locked SA person either. I also can relate to your reluctance to buy plastic framed guns. I was the same way until a friend let me shoot his CW45, and I really liked it. I went with a CW40 because it was on sale, and later found an incredible price on a CW45 and snatched it up. I mostly use the CW45 as my EveryDayCarry since I put a laser on it though I grab the CW40 once in awhile, mostly if If it's bright daylight outside. The LC9 I slip in my pocket for a quick run down to the 7-11 and things like that.

JFootin
10-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Why did you go for the LC9 in 9mm instead of the CW9 and have a matched set?