PDA

View Full Version : MK9 Problem or not?

PETE14
01-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Here is the striker on my MK9. The finish on this is flaking off and causing the metal flaking in the striker chamber. The gun has performed flawless and there is no way that the flaking could cause the striker to not work but I have the following three questions:

1. What is the finish and should the part be replaced?
2. I want to send Kahr a picture of this and ask them the same question but since it says in the manual not to take the slide apart will they void my warranty?
3. Since the finish is coming off and there looks like there is more that will be coming off in the future will this eventually cause problems in the gun.

I have seen on other websites people claiming that there are metal shavings in the striker chamber and I believe this is what they are seeing and to me it almost looks like a very thin finish but I am not sure why Kahr would put a finish on a striker.

Any input would be helpful especially about the warranty.

PETE14
01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Okay here is the lowdown. I went ahead and called Kahr and asked them about this issue (would not give them my name) and they explained that it was a Nickel Teflon finish that was flaking off and assured me that it would not affect the firearm in any way and it was there to insure the longevity of my firearm but if I wanted they would ship me out a replacement striker today. The guy that I talked to was Joe and he was very helpful and assured me that I would still have a warranty. Excellent customer service and I am even more happy that I purchased a Kahr.

jocko
01-04-2010, 12:40 PM
he told you right and to my knowledge your striker is the first that I have ever heard of doing this. No doubt you got a bad finish striker. Whether it would cause any issues down the road is debateable. You did the right thing in calling them and they did the right thing in sending you a new striker. I would guess that your striker is nickel plated finish for it is less apt to corrosion and should even be smoother in that striker channel. It should not void your warranty to take the slide apart IMO. Maybe that is also why they put that little hole in the bottom of the slide up front, so that one can insert his cleaning spray nozzle and blow clean that striker channel area without total disassembly. ...

PETE14
01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
That is one of the reasons that I took a picture of the striker because I would not have believed that it had a coating and that it was flaking off. There were other places that it was flaking off and the coating was bubbling. This is my second time of striping the upper and the first time it was not nearly as bad so I can't imagine what it would look like if I shot another 100-200 rounds through it.

I cleaned the channel with break free but should I leave it wet or dry it real good?