PDA

View Full Version : Any help with Sig history on RCS?

Rainman48314
09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
I just bought my first 1911, .45 Auto, of course. It was manufactured in May 2008. Per a Sig sticker on the blue plastic case, it is a 1911 RCS 4 inch Nittron. The manual which came with it has specs for for three models : Full Size, Carry, and Compact. Using the measurements, mine is the Compact. However, the weight listed is 2 oz. higher than what I get from my scale, Sig says 30.3 oz empty /w.o mag. I get 26.8. The website shows this gun but the slide is engraved RCS mine isn't. My manual says 6 round mags (2) but the sticker says 7 rounds. So what's going on here?

CORRECTION: the slide is marked RCS

O'Dell
09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
I just bought my first 1911, .45 Auto, of course. It was manufactured in May 2008. Per a Sig sticker on the blue plastic case, it is a 1911 RCS 4 inch Nittron. The manual which came with it has specs for for three models : Full Size, Carry, and Compact. Using the measurements, mine is the Compact. However, the weight listed is 2 oz. higher than what I get from my scale, Sig says 30.3 oz empty /w.o mag. I get 26.8. The website shows this gun but the slide is engraved RCS mine isn't. My manual says 6 round mags (2) but the sticker says 7 rounds. So what's going on here?

My SIG 1911 is a C3. It has a 4.25 inch barrel and SIG list the weight as 29 ozs with mag, so 26.8 sounds about right w/o the mag. I know it's a bit heavier than my two 3" 1911's and they weigh about 23 ozs.

Rainman48314
09-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Any idea on how to dissassemble this mag? It doesn't match the style in the manual. Mine does have RCS engraved on the slide. I sent an email to Sig asking to clarify the mag capacity. I can easily load 7 rds in one mag. The second mag is much harder to load 7. The empty hole with 6 loaded suggests its a 7 round mag. The case sticker says 7, manual says 6.

O'Dell
09-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Any idea on how to dissassemble this mag? It doesn't match the style in the manual. Mine does have RCS engraved on the slide. I sent an email to Sig asking to clarify the mag capacity. I can easily load 7 rds in one mag. The second mag is much harder to load 7. The empty hole with 6 loaded suggests its a 7 round mag. The case sticker says 7, manual says 6.

I looks just like the ones for the C3, but mine say 45 ACP. It is a seven round mag, BTW. I don't have a clue how to disassemble it, because I've never tried. Why bother if they work?

Nice looking pistol - it looks to be the same size as mine.

Rainman48314
09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Why bother if they work?
But they don't work on the last round. I'm getting more mags but might re-spring these. You can get a Chip McCormack kit with followers and springs OR go to Wolff and get just springs.

This gun carries real well. I notice the weight difference from my HK P7 and pleased with the Galco my instructor sold me.

Bawanna
09-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Some mags just don't come apart. I can't say for certain on the Sig. They are just welded and no taking the bottom plate off.

Nice looking gun for sure. I see Sig is using the external extractor with success as did Smith & Wesson, wonder why Kimber couldn't make it work?

Bawanna
09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Personally with that much cant on a holster I'd move it back further to 3 or 3:30 on your belt. Maybe straddle that 3 oclock belt loop with the holster. Be tough to draw at that angle.

Just my opinion, if it works for you, it's absolutely perfect for me.

Rainman48314
09-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Personally with that much cant on a holster I'd move it back further to 3 or 3:30 on your belt. Maybe straddle that 3 oclock belt loop with the holster. Be tough to draw at that angle.

Just my opinion, if it works for you, it's absolutely perfect for me.
I haven't worn it away from home yet and actually less than 30 minutes. I'll try your suggestion.

Bawanna
09-29-2011, 07:10 PM
I just noticed the front strap checkering, that's a big plus to me too. I like it alot. Allows you to go checkered or smooth on the grips but still have a very good solid grip.

Wish I knew how to checker metal, I'd be busy for quite a spell just on my own.

gb6491
09-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Any idea on how to dissassemble this mag?...
I was going to explain the procedure to remove parts from a fixed base plate magazine, but figured a short flick might be better. Sorry about the dirty hands:o, I shot this on a quick (well not so quick) break from some yard work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hbugQpTRE8
Regards,
Greg

jocko
09-30-2011, 04:50 PM
ohyes U DA MAN GB. super pictorial. NONE BETTER

Rainman48314
09-30-2011, 07:19 PM
I was going to explain the procedure to remove parts from a fixed base plate magazine, but figured a short flick might be better. Sorry about the dirty hands:o, I shot this on a quick (well not so quick) break from some yard work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hbugQpTRE8
Regards,
GregThanks, Greg. I just completed cleaning, inspecting and polishing my two Sig mags (made by Checkmate). My tools were not the same as yours but worked. I commented to the YouTube vid. Appreciate the help and hope to return the favor one day.

Ray

Rainman48314
09-30-2011, 07:32 PM
It is a seven round mag, BTW. I don't have a clue how to disassemble it, because I've never tried. Why bother if they work?

Nice looking pistol - it looks to be the same size as mine.
I talked to Victoria at Sig CS. She confirmed a running change from 6 round to 7 round mags. I found thru the net that Checkmate makes these for Sig. I confirmed on the CheckMate website that their products have the same patent number too. I am respringing mine and going with a dimpled follower. These alledgedly solve the last round FTF problem. I will end up with two good factory mags and probably two Wilson Combat.

A forum, member did a nice video for us and used ammo to hold the spring back and a punch restrain it. I used a toothbrush handle and a shish kabob skewer to fix mine. Cleaned them and lightly polished under the lips. Going to shoot them once more before I rebuild them.

knkali
09-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Some mags just don't come apart. I can't say for certain on the Sig. They are just welded and no taking the bottom plate off.

Nice looking gun for sure. I see Sig is using the external extractor with success as did Smith & Wesson, wonder why Kimber couldn't make it work?

Had a Sig 1911 briefly. Guy gave me sheet and said it aint a 1911 because of it. I started to go for my knife to stab him but he ran away

Rainman48314
09-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Had a Sig 1911 briefly. Guy gave me sheet and said it aint a 1911 because of it. I started to go for my knife to stab him but he ran awayAt 850 fps, you couldn't catch up to him? :)

Bawanna
09-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I think I ran into the same fella. He said the same about my LDA Para's. Technically they are different but look and feel 1911 to me. Somebody must have got him he was missing part of an ear.

O'Dell
09-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I talked to Victoria at Sig CS. She confirmed a running change from 6 round to 7 round mags. I found thru the net that Checkmate makes these for Sig. I confirmed on the CheckMate website that their products have the same patent number too. I am respringing mine and going with a dimpled follower. These alledgedly solve the last round FTF problem. I will end up with two good factory mags and probably two Wilson Combat.

I forgot to mention the dimpled follower. Both of mine have it, and it does reportedly solve the last round feeding problem.

Rainman48314
10-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I just dropped off my 1911 at the Gander Mtn where I bought it. Some Gun Technician needs to agree that Sig needs to fix the mags and my non-functional grip safety. After cleaning it today, I did the usual function check and discovered the problem. It worked before the first rangetrip. Oh, well. It will eventually be a winner for me.

Update: Gander Mtn. shipped it to Sig after getting an RMA. It will arrive in Exeter on Friday 10/7. I hope they're quick but thorough. My new mag springs arrived today, 10/5. I still hope I get new mags out of Sig. At least new dimpled followers. I'll also have a Chip McCormick mag and a Wilson Combat making 4.

Rainman48314
10-14-2011, 01:29 AM
I just dropped off my 1911 at the Gander Mtn where I bought it. Some Gun Technician needs to agree that Sig needs to fix the mags and my non-functional grip safety. After cleaning it today, I did the usual function check and discovered the problem. It worked before the first rangetrip. Oh, well. It will eventually be a winner for me.

Update: Gander Mtn. shipped it to Sig after getting an RMA. It will arrive in Exeter on Friday 10/7. I hope they're quick but thorough. My new mag springs arrived today, 10/5. I still hope I get new mags out of Sig. At least new dimpled followers. I'll also have a Chip McCormick mag and a Wilson Combat making 4.I picked up my Sig Thursday afternoon. That's very quick turnaround of six days, including return shipping. Bravo Sig.

Sig repaired my grip safety, inspected my barrel and test fired , using Lawman 230 gr FMJ ammo. Everything works per Justin at Sig. Tomorrow I see if the 7th round feeds and fires. I also have two aftermarket mags to test. Sig didn't touch my mags.

Rainman48314
10-14-2011, 02:27 PM
After disassembly and inspection the night before, I fired some PMC FMJ 230 gr at my range today. I used my Sig (Checkmate) mags, a Wilson and an aftermarket Checkmate. Outstanding results. I shot a mag of Winchester Bonded PDX1. Outstanding as well.

I wish I could shoot everything this well. I'm lovin' my RCS.

Sig repaired the broken grip safety and replaced my recoil spring. No work was done to the mags.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the mags are now flawless. The RCS needed a new recoil spring and I was orienting the spring backwards BY FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE SIG MANUAL. Seems they were wrong per the Sig 'smith. I have fired three times since I got this beauty back. Entirely flawless. I also have a nice Tommy Theis hoslter now.