PDA

View Full Version : Rem UMC .380= FAIL

Rubb
10-07-2011, 02:45 PM
I’ve been shooting for a while and I’ve never seen this so I thought I’d pass along the info.
For those that carry FMJ in .380….you may want to re-think UMC as a choice.
I went to the range today to try some Remington UMC for the first time in the LCP.
I had 2 rounds in a 50 round box that had out of spec brass.
Attached photo shows how the gun would not go into battery.

Here you can see the brass on the out of spec round is longer.(stamped .380 auto)
From left to right, 9mm Federal, UMC (out of spec), UMC (that fired).

LOT# M17 LA1

wyntrout
10-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Was the headstamp the same? Wondering if the Makarov is different and a few of those got in there... weird.

Wynn:confused:

wyntrout
10-07-2011, 03:06 PM
.380 acp case length: .680" or 17.3mm
9mm Makarov case length: .713" or 18.1mm.

That's what it looks like... some 9mm Makarov cases got in there somehow... accident or mischief??

Wynn:)

Rubb
10-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Was the headstamp the same? Wondering if the Makarov is different and a few of those got in there... weird.

Wynn:confused:

stamped .380 auto, ETA in OP :)

Rubb
10-07-2011, 03:08 PM
.380 acp case length: .680" or 17.3mm
9mm Makarov case length: .713" or 18.1mm.

That's what it looks like... some 9mm Makarov cases got in there somehow... accident or mischief??

Caliper has a dead battery but, I will be pulling the bullet to get a measurement later.

wyntrout
10-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't think Remington makes any Makarov ammo... didn't see anything about it at their site. The case difference looks right, though. The 95-grain bullet is popular for the Makarov 9x18mm... .380 is 9x17mm and the 9mm Luger is 9x19mm.

Rubb
10-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I got in the brass can and took some measurements….after I zeroed the caliper:(
I guess you should do that after a battery change…it did change earlier measurement which I deleted:o
Federal - .66
WWB - .66
PMC - .66
Blazer Brass - .66
UMC (good) - .66
UMC (bad) - .69
Makarov - .70
I measured a 2005 Kansas quarter in case someone would like to check for accuracy - .94
New photos show the difference in seating depth between the .66 and .69 brass.

Rainman48314
10-19-2011, 07:31 AM
I’ve been shooting for a while and I’ve never seen this so I thought I’d pass along the info.
For those that carry FMJ in .380….you may want to re-think UMC as a choice.
I shoot this based on availability and because it goes on sale frequently at my Gander Mtn. I also buy it mostly online. It is cheap RANGE ammo. It isn't meant to carry, is it? I also use it in 124 gr 9mm. I'd say it has been 99.9% reliable and it may not have been the ammo in that .1%. I have not had any weapon fail to go into battery at any time under any circumstances with any ammo. Lucky, I suppose.

Rubb
10-19-2011, 07:55 AM
In smaller calibers many choose to carry FMJ for better penetration.
It’s one of those dead horse debates…..

tv_racin_fan
10-20-2011, 03:31 AM
Some do indeed choose to carry FMJ's. I would choose to carry a JSP myself because I want some expansion to go with that penetration.

TominCA
11-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I like Rem ammo for range use - but I did once get a 45 acp with no flash hole in the case! Primer was dead ended into the rear of the case - Popped the extractor off of the rim and ruined the extractor on my Kimber - I was suprised to see the primer was so powerful.

If I carried FMJ I would possibly opt for Black Hills 100 gr or some of the Buffalo bore stuff. The little p380 is more forgiving of grip mistakes and lack of lube with more powerful ammo (at least mine are) and, most importantly, the quality control seems to be a lot better on the high end stuff.

vn6869
11-11-2011, 06:09 AM
I just noticed the same with my 40 S&W UMC in my P40.
I just got it and started shooting it with UMC FMJ and noticed I was having FTF occassionally. Thought it was because it was new and FP,
Then I tried some hollow point (Win) and Fed 180 FMJ FP voila no problem.

Looked at the bullet of the UMC vs the Fed and Win. The UMC seemed squarer whereas the HP and Fed were somewhat rounded.

Long short of it, I'll us the UMC in my Witness and Fed in my P40 for range use.

Thought it was just my guns as some guns can be finicky about different brands of ammo, but generally that is hollow-points. :confused:

YMMV

muggsy
11-11-2011, 07:43 AM
I would contact Remington about the problem. They might not be aware of it and could issue a recall. It wouldn't be the first time in history that a specific lot of ammunition was recalled. This is another example of why you should inspect every round that you put into a magazine.

Rubb
11-14-2011, 05:46 AM
I would contact Remington about the problem. They might not be aware of it and could issue a recall. It wouldn't be the first time in history that a specific lot of ammunition was recalled. This is another example of why you should inspect every round that you put into a magazine.

I took the sample back to the store where it was bought, I consider the clerk a friend and she sent notice to Remington as well as their other stores. I’ve not been back yet to ask what came from it.

I do check the rounds, they went into the mag fine.
It’s not easy to notice a .03” difference.

jocko
11-16-2013, 02:55 PM
remngton makes good ammo, sh!t happens. But againbif u get burned buy um once then just move to anutter brand name. It woud not bother me in the slightest. I try to buy American rand ammo alwaysw and I shop for the best price. If today it is Federal,then I buy it, yadda yadda. It surprises me that we don't read of more of this ammo irregularity, bein they have been crankin out rounds 24/7 for the last few years..

hardluk1
11-18-2013, 06:09 AM
That's to bad, looks like remmy has finally lost control too and now joins winny and federal for batchs of junk ammo by American companies.

Rubb
11-18-2013, 10:55 AM
I've never had any issues with WWB, Fed or Blazer Brass.
That LCP is long gone, but it didn't like PMC at all.

thomjb
06-10-2014, 09:03 PM
I have had similar issues over the years with Remington and Aguila as I recall

hardluk1
06-17-2014, 07:08 AM
reality is All companies have turned out some amount of junk ammo. Pay attention to what you carry and load in a mag. You can pick up on some of them. I still shoot um well all but steel cased ammo.

rub Guess you got some free replacement ammo , right.

RRP
06-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Old thread, but as long as it has been revived, I'll add my two cents.

I have had excellent luck with Rem UMC in both 380 and 9mm. The round nose bullets feed much more reliably in my P380 than do truncated bullets of other manufacturers (i.e. WWB).

For range fodder, I am happy to find UMC. The price is right and I have not had any rounds fail to go bang.

warbird1
06-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Barnes TAC-XPD (all copper hollow point) in mine. Don't trust a FMJ for anything but what it's made for.

Rubb
06-28-2014, 01:33 PM
rub Guess you got some free replacement ammo , right.

No...didn't bother contacting Rem..

Rubb
06-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Barnes TAC-XPD (all copper hollow point) in mine. Don't trust a FMJ for anything but what it's made for.

FMJ's were around long before JHP's....what were they made for?

Longitude Zero
06-28-2014, 02:02 PM
FMJ's were around long before JHP's....what were they made for?

FMJ's were the norm in yesteryear due to ease of manufacture and the fact that early model semi-autos were designed with the FMJ in mind. When HP's came along almost every semi-auto pistol required some adjustment.