PDA

View Full Version : New Here and New to Kahr

Dobieman
01-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi guys,

I have been carrying Glocks for about 20 years and decided to down size a bit.
All my Glocks have been 45 ACP – G21, G30, and G36 so I bought a CW45 at a gun show the week before Christmas for $400.00 + tax.
I read this board for a while prior to purchasing and was concerned a bit about reliability based on some post regarding problems. I have been around the various forums a while and understand that most of the things that perform correctly don’t get much attention and the few that dont are all over the place with complaints and posts. Anyway with some concern and some faith I bought the CW45 because it appeals to me. I look at carry guns as tools – period. The CW45 is purposely built and no frills. That’s what I want in a carry gun combined with complete reliability. Save the rosewood grips and stuff for the range guns or collections. Give me function, ergos and accuracy for carry.

Anyhow my first range session was last week and I put about 225 rounds through it with various loads from FMJ round nose to JHP’s. I brought an athletic glove with out fingers on it because I knew the grip was course and I had a couple hundred rounds to pop. I started bare handed and on the first 5 or 6 magazines I had the mag drop out on at round 5 with one left in the mag about 4 times. I had read about this and was concerned but pushed on keeping in mind the 200 round break in Kahr recommends. After about the first half dozen mags and about 4 drops I was watching to make sure I wasn’t thumbing the mag release. It didn’t appear so but after putting on the glove the problem went away – coincidence?
Probabaly but not sure. I am sure my grip improved with the glove reducing muzzle flip and possibly the possibility for my thumb to hit the release with recoil. About 170 rounds followed with out cleaning and no failures. It fed everything and my accuracy improved once I realized I was shooting low and left because of the long trigger stroke and short sight radius. I started stacking the trigger about 75 % and realigning the sights and shot to point of aim at 7 yards.

I will need more flawless range time before I carry this gun and trust my life to it but I like it. It just has to win my confidence first.

When I loaded it up with 230 grain round nose and dry cycled it ejecting live rounds it would not eject the last round in the mag. Not a problem as I can drop the mag and then empty the gun. Maybe the ejection port is a bit small for the full length ammo and the last round sits higher in the gun? No biggie just an observation.

If I can put a couple more hundred rounds through with out issue I am thinking about the following accessories.
Agrips – The grip is course and I am used to Houge Handals but the Agrip appeals to me.
My near sight isn’t was it used to be and I am considering the Crimson Trace laser that is coming out for this gun combined with a Crossbreeed Holster to fit the lasered CW45.

Anyway any input you can give the noob on the mag issue and my accessory selections will be appreciated. I now its al been hashed out here before but I am a noob and new to Kahrs to be easy on me :D

In-Yo-Grill
01-08-2010, 08:10 PM
First of all welcome to the site. I haven't had the mag drop issues with any of the Kahrs I own (MK9, P9 and P45) so I won't be any help there.

You're doing the right thing by putting the gun through the ringer before trusting it as your CCW. The trigger pull takes some getting used to but once you do the accuracy will increase dramatically.

Good to have you here.

gunmut
01-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Welcome! I think you will like the CW45; I bought one used and after bought two new ones.
Not had the mag drop issue with CW45 but I did with a CW40 that I sold. I am told it could have been a weak spring and Kahr would have sent me a new one if the problem continued...

Kahr does offer some sight options on their website you may want to check out.

hdawson
01-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Love my CW9 with the Crimson Trace in a Mitch Rosen leather holster. Works good and looks good. What more could I want?:cool:

Just Bob
01-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Welcome! I've had the mag drop issue and its all me. Never a problem for the first 1500 or so rounds but then it started to happen. For whatever reason my right thumb gets on the release and the mag drops just enough to not feed the next round into the chamber. My pinky is under the mag so it doesn't hit the floor. It happens with both 6 and 7 round mags. From what I've read on these forums Kahr has a different release button and spring (maybe a metal version from an MK9) but because I know its me I'm hoping to fix my problem and not to cover up the symptom. I removed the spring and buttom and cleaned them and their areas in the handle and its much better. Hang in there, Kahrs are wonderful pistols.
Bob

jocko
01-09-2010, 09:50 AM
dobieman. If the mag keeps dropping andur sure it is not you, call kahr and have them send you a new mag release. that seems to cure all mag drop issues. Your mag release is steel also, not polymer.

johnh
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Try shooting it with no glove in your weak hand. If the mag does not drop you probably were hitting it somehow. I have to grip a little lower than I am used to with my P9 or I push the slide stop up. Too many years shooting 1911s and various CZ pattern guns with a high grip. No worries if that is the case as practice will get you past it.

Welcome aboard!

John

Dobieman
01-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and the warm welcome.
I want to carry this gun so I hope it functions. If not I will give Kahr a chance to make it right. The suggestion to shoot it left handed is spot on and should eliminate my thumb from the mix. If the mag drops left handed I know its not me. Its going to have to warm up a bit before I hit the range again. I will let you guys know what happens.