PDA

View Full Version : Hornady makes big mistake.

trelliswires
10-17-2011, 03:04 AM
I think Hornady used bad judgment in labeling and advertising this line of ammunition.

This article is from: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/ - the owner/administrator of this online bulletin is an attorney.....

October 13th, 2011

Hornady Introduces Green-Tipped Zombie Max™ Ammunition

Our friends at Midsouth Shooters Supply have announced that Midsouth is now taking orders on Hornady’s much-awaited Zombie Max™ (Z-Max) loaded ammo. Hornady is marketing this stuff as “Zombie-killing” ammunition. Hopefully buyers will read the warnings and understand that the new Z-Max ammunition is 100% lethal and deadly. This is NOT some kind of paintball ammo or less-than-lethal substitute. The Z-Max line includes jacketed rifle ammo with bright green polymer tips, hollow-point pistol ammo with bright green polymer end-plugs, and conventional 00 Buck shotgun ammo in a special black (with green lettering) shotshell. Currently, Hornady plans to sell the following types of Zombie Max ammo: 9mm, 40SW, .45ACP, .223 Rem, 7.62×39, .308 Win, and 12 gauge (2 3/4″ shotshell).

Commentary: Maybe Not Such a Great Idea?
For some folks the notion of blasting zombies is an amusing fantasy. But it is only that — a fantasy. It is merely “make-believe”. We’re not so sure that associating fantasy zombie-killing with the use of actual, lethal ammunition is a very good idea. Frankly, we have serious misgivings about this entire Zombie Max marketing effort by Hornady. The product graphics and supporting advertising make Zombie Max ammo seem like something used for Halloween fun and games. Hornady’s product flyer declares: “Supply yourself for the Zombie Apocalypse with Zombie Max™ ammunition…. Remember. . .only head shots count!“. Is that really wise?

Hornady is even distributing a video featuring an anxious shooter apparently firing live Zombie Max rifle and pistol ammo at persons dressed like zombies. How that got past the lawyers we’ll never know. Hopefully people will realize that Zombie Max ammo should be treated like any other 100% lethal ammunition. Read Hornady’s warning: “This is Live Ammunition. This is not a toy.” Then follow all basic firearms safety rules when using Hornady’s Zombie Max products. And hopefully, this Halloween, no moron will try out his Zombie Max rounds on some grade-school trick-or-treater in a zombie costume.

CLICK HERE to View Hornady Zombie Max™ Sell Sheet (PDF).

Thunder71
10-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Yeah, it was a dumb idea. I thought it was a joke, now I think they are a joke.

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

BEARDOG
10-17-2011, 07:37 AM
I just posted on another forum about this;
http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=18539.15

I kept thinking it was some joke for Halloween But after going to their website I guess it is real???

IMO.
It is amazingly Juvenal, silly, and stupid at best...

Hornady better get the 20 something year old's out of it's marketing dept... Imagine if this ammo is used in a real defensive shooting and it is presented at trial that you used Zombie Apocalypse ammo the jury may not get the joke.

It makes me think much less of Hornady as a serious ammo Co. When considering the claims and performance of their ammunition and reloading components. Sorry, but I make ammunition choices for performance/self defense a very serious matter.

Thunder71
10-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Their disclaimer:

Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!

Longitude Zero
10-17-2011, 12:02 PM
EXCELLENT company and ammo but a truly stupid idea. Even Cadillac was stupid enough to make the manual trasnmissioned Cimarron.

MLESa7990
10-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Hornady better get the 20 something year old's out of it's marketing dept... Imagine if this ammo is used in a real defensive shooting and it is presented at trial that you used Zombie Apocalypse ammo the jury may not get the joke.

I think its good marketing, especially since the ever popular 'Walking Dead' season 2 just started on AMC. As well as the large number of zombie targets that are available these days. I wouldn't personally buy the ammo, but I think if someone did and then decides to use it in a SD situation, well that would be on them...but, then again, I am a 20 something year old myself.

OldLincoln
10-17-2011, 12:37 PM
If available in time, don't be surprised if there's an unfortunate mishap this Halloween. Of course followed by all the negative gun criticism calling for banning of guns and a lawsuit for Hornady.

sierrajb
10-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I agree. Bad Timing + Bad Taste = Bad Results.

heeler
10-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Yes,bad idea and the lawyers guild of America will remind them of this soon enough.

ripley16
10-18-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm not so sure it isn't genius. Go to a couple of your favorite forums and do a search on zombie. I bet there are lots of hits. I know I see the topic comes up way more than sound mental heath and maturity would dictate. Marketing... who knows what makes someone buy a product?

jocko
10-19-2011, 04:41 AM
hell yes, put a weird off the wall ame on a product and they will buy it. Gun owners, expecially bullet guys are real easy to sell. Black talon, now there was a nice name.

I am comihg out with a new bullet geared for our border staes. I call it the drone. U just get up every day and shoot one drone up in he air and go to work and it just floats around up there looking for an ILLEGAL.

ltxi
10-19-2011, 04:30 PM
EXCELLENT company and ammo but a truly stupid idea. Even Cadillac was stupid enough to make the manual trasnmissioned Cimarron.

I kinda liked that car. Manual transmission in a Cadillac plated, pimped out, mid sized Chevy was almost worth the price of admission if only for entertainment value.