PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the MK40 please

1911luver
10-17-2011, 07:34 AM
I'm new to kahr arms guns with a recently acquired P9 I love how thin this gun is and how it shoots. Now I'm wanting an MK40 and am interested to head from this here who own one. How are they in the realibilty area? How is the recoil on these little guns?

Also are the MK40's known for any issues and whats the difference between an MK40 and MK40 elite? Sorry for all the questions but again I'm new at the kahr thing,thanks for any help guys.

Barth
10-17-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm new to kahr arms guns with a recently acquired P9 I love how thin this gun is and how it shoots. Now I'm wanting an MK40 and am interested to head from this here who own one. How are they in the realibilty area? How is the recoil on these little guns?

Also are the MK40's known for any issues and whats the difference between an MK40 and MK40 elite? Sorry for all the questions but again I'm new at the kahr thing,thanks for any help guys.

Have an MK40 Elite.
And this is my personal experience with this particular gun-
How are they in the realibilty area?
A little fussy about what ammo it likes.
Recommend 200 rounds to verify they will feed reliably.
Mine likes Speer GDHP 155/165 grain.

How is the recoil on these little guns?
Recoil is a subjective thing.
You need to rent it or something like it and find out for yourself.
Some guys here think the PM40 is fine recoil wise.
I think it's too much to practice with.
The MK40 is heavier stainless steel.
And I can shoot/practice with it easy.

Are the MK40's known for any issues?
Not that I'm aware of.

Whats the difference between an MK40 and MK40 elite?
Elite 2003
The polished stainless steel finish and laser etching on the frame
are available on all Kahr Elite 2003 pistols - the K9, MK9, K40 and the MK40.
The lustrous finish complements our innovative designs and solid construction.
The magazine well is beveled for easier magazine reloading.
The feed ramp on the barrel is polished to a high luster to insure reliable feeding with all types of ammo.
Laser engraving on the frame provides the finishing touch to the polished stainless steel -
for an appearance as impressive as its capabilities.

Bawanna
10-17-2011, 11:19 AM
The MK's are sweet sweet guns. Given the choice I'd personally prefer the 9. If they made a 45 I'd opt for that. I have a K40 and its a bit of a handful in muzzle flip. Not horrible but definitely a detriment for second shots. Not painful and many love them and the MK counterpart.

They as a general rule are not ammo sensitive but Barth mentioned the 40 is probably a tad bit more finicky either in ammo or operation.
I've had zero issues with mine after a first trip back to kahr for a barrel that was peening. A rare instance then and even more so now.

I have access frequently to an MK9 and a K9. The size power factor is near perfect and both of those are stone cold reliable.

zoom
10-17-2011, 12:21 PM
I have owned and shot my MK 40 since 1999...Zero problems with it. It is all stock with wood grips. Every round (factory loads) has gone bang. I carry it just about daily and shoot about 150 rounds a month at defensive classes. I also clean it after every session and every 3 months even if I haven't shot it. Love the gun.

hollander
10-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Have had the MK 40 elite for almost a year. Not for pocket carry but great on a belt. Recoil reminds you it is a .40 but even this old man can tolerate it for 50 rds. Mine has been reliable. I have not run a large variety of ammo through it. It seemed to like what I wanted to use and it worked well after the breakin period. I also have a PM 9 which does work well in a pocket.

jocko
10-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Probably not a gun in that MK class IO. if ur gonna belt carry as u stated I would opt for the all steel MK version , especially in the 40 cal, course if I owned it, I would alsop port it.

Cyterio
10-17-2011, 06:37 PM
I have an MK9 Elite 03 and absolutely love it. I had a few minor issues throughout the break-in period, which may have been user error, but after 100rds its been flawless. I had a few times where the slide failed to lock back and a few failed to eject. I am going to contribute that to user error and an under lubricated handgun. Ever since about 150+ and proper lubrication, I've not had a single issue and couldn't recommend an MK more. I will pocket carry mine on occasion, only as a last resort, because it is a bit heavy but completely pocketable if needed. I think the MK series is hands down one of the best looking guns out there, and with about 600rds through mine so far, extremely reliable. I can head out to the range for the day and put 200rds through it no problem, no sore hand or wrist, which I think is pretty darn amazing for a subcompact. I carry mine 90% IWB and think it is perfectly suited for that role.