PDA

View Full Version : malfunctioning T9 update

JodyH
10-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Email from Kahr this morning.
My malfunctioning T9 had an out of spec slide.
They are currently waiting on a new slide to be machined.
No estimate of how long that will take or when I'll get my pistol back.

:mad:

JFootin
10-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Email from Kahr this morning.
My malfunctioning T9 had an out of spec slide.
They are currently waiting on a new slide to be machined.
No estimate of how long that will take or when I'll get my pistol back.

Need to turn that frown around! :) Kahr CS isn't jerking you around. They're biting the bullet on a new slide. That's cause for celebration! :D

Bawanna
10-21-2011, 10:25 AM
It's good that they are going to replace the slide for you and hopefully make it a runner. Might want to double up on your patience meds though. They don't make so many of the T9 so I fear it might be a bit before they make one. Hopefully not and knowing that they need one for a repair might speed things up.
I had the slide on my K40 replaced and it was in a holding pattern waiting for a new black slide. I happened to contact to check status and heard the black was the issue. I opted for stainless since I really didn't like the black anyhow and got it delivered the very next day.
Your in a little different boat than I was but hopefully the wait won't be long.

JodyH
11-30-2011, 06:40 PM
T9 was returned to me today after a little over two months at Kahr.
Rear Novak sight was not even close to being centered in the new slide.
:rolleyes:
At least it's a set screw instead of a press fit.
Centered it up and put some thread locker on it.
Will head to the range tomorrow to see if it works.
If it works that'll be one down and one (P380) to go.

ripley16
12-01-2011, 04:33 AM
Let's hope that patience has it's rewards.

Chuck54
12-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Hope they got yours up and running as good as mine.

My T9 has been great right out of the box.

JodyH
12-01-2011, 04:54 PM
75 rounds with no issues.
My fingers are still crossed, but so far so good.

JodyH
12-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Nope... still not functioning.

Today it developed this nice little problem.
The slide will not lock open on empty and when you try to retract the slide it stops approx. 1/2" out of battery and locks in that position.
The only way to get the slide to move is to press in on the magazine release (which requires a lot of pressure when it's locked like this) and remove the magazine (which again feels like it's in a considerable bind).
This happens with 3 different magazines.
The barrel is loose and rattles when it's locked like this, so it's not binding on the barrel or feed ramp.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/2011-12-04_09-07-58_869.jpg

jocko
12-04-2011, 10:34 AM
don't give up 75 rounds is maybe just not enough, sure looks to me like the slide and frame are not yet matted like they shoud. I amsure you have done a good lube to it per kahr tech section thread. Make sure the recoil spring is on right. I would as of yet not do anything but lube it, shoot it with some good american grade ammo. U might even try some defense ammo as it is hotter than some fmj lower priced stuff to see if that eliminates the issue, if so IMO it just needs more rounds through it. U might look down fromt eh top when it is locked olpen like this to see if the slide/breech face is hitting the back of the magazine by chance. That should not be and I doubt it it is either. Just eliminatge the possable before panicking. I in my little mind still think it will shoot itself out of it and I don't mean 500 rounds either. It should start running right real soon. Proper lube might just be needed to.

JodyH
12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
No this isn't a lube or a break-in issue, it locks up to the point you cannot rack the slide no matter how much force you apply. It's locked on something solid, not just tight tolerances.
The only way to get it to unlock is to forcibly remove the magazine.
Removing the magazine requires a hard press on the release button and a hard pull on the magazine.
Something is seriously out of spec with this gun.

JodyH
12-04-2011, 11:10 AM
btw: there's no panic involved at all.
Kahr's the one that'll be footing the $50 shipping charges, not me.

jocko
12-04-2011, 11:13 AM
is it by any chance hitting on the magazine. to lock uip with themag in thegun and not when it is out should indicatemagazinerelated but again that should not be happening.

I would indeed skend the photo to Eion or Jay at kahr and have them issue a pre paid pickup onit. I wonder what haqs changed from the \first 75 good rounds to now not working at all??.

With the magazne out of the gun does the slide action seem OK????

JodyH
12-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I've determined it's the slide stop.
I can make it lock up by hand cycling and it's due to the slide stop sliding left 1/32" or so.
It's not the spring because swapping in a different one has no effect.
The slide stop is out of spec IMO.
Why the F' can't Kahr catch crap like this before returning it to the customer? It's not like they were pressed for time... they had the damn thing for nearly 3 months.

jocko
12-04-2011, 11:53 AM
why not ask for a new slide stop before sending it back to them. something has changed though from 75 good rounds to now this slide stop moving outward. When u say swaping out the spring are we talking about Part 329 that little spring on the left side that is supposed tohold that slide stop in ???

There is a tutorial over on the kahr tech section I think by GB649`1 under cw45 fixes that might be of some help to you. The thing that I can understand it gettingh by kahr is that it worked right for you for 75 rounds also, so something has changed. It could indeed be that slide stop lever spring, which instead of the slide stop being out of spec , maybe the spring itself is bad.

Call and get um both..

JodyH
12-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I have multiple spare slide stop springs, even after swapping in a new one I can replicate the malfunction.
That pretty much narrows it down to the slide stop itself being out of spec.

ripley16
12-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Are you saying the slide stop is migrating outward, to the left, and at some point the slide actually gets caught on the, now protruding, slide catch?

JodyH
12-04-2011, 12:17 PM
I could request another slide stop and spring, which would probably fix my problem.
or
I could make Kahr pay for a couple of $50 round trips on shipping and make them fix the problem.

Part of me thinks Kahr needs to pay to fix their screw-ups, because otherwise there's no incentive to stop sending out screwed up products.
And nothing get's peoples attention like throwing money away...

JodyH
12-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Are you saying the slide stop is migrating outward, to the left, and at some point the slide actually gets caught on the, now protruding, slide catch?
yes
And the magazine is somehow helping the stop work it's way out and/or holding it in the wrong position once it's walked out.

jocko
12-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I have multiple spare slide stop springs, even after swapping in a new one I can replicate the malfunction.
That pretty much narrows it down to the slide stop itself being out of spec.

sure does, call Jay

If u look at ur slide stop, on that nub on the insdie there should be a slight groove where that slide stop spring is supposed to also kinda lock into besides that groove ron the slide stop on itself by the flat portion of the slide stop lever. Is that spring engaging that little groove in that nub area??

JodyH
12-04-2011, 12:32 PM
The Kahr slide stop spring, Torx screw setup is a cheesy, poor design.
A switch the the K9 style spring setup would be a huge improvement.

jocko
12-04-2011, 02:17 PM
probably right, as far as over all looks goes, Really the little sprighy thing works great for what it does, . I was surprised that the all steel models did not have the K9 setup.

JodyH
12-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I guess the Kahr customer service rep thinks the K9 spring setup is superior as well.
That's what he sent me to fix my T9 walking slide stop lever issue.

It's to the point where my Kahr CS experiences are almost comical. They've managed to screw up in every conceivable fashion so far.

jocko
12-10-2011, 03:00 PM
WTF. geez not even a decent answer to that crap. I would certinly let Jay or eion at kahr know what the heh is going on. damn what stupidity..

JodyH
12-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I replaced the slide stop spring (yet again) with one of my spares.
On round 4 the slide locked back with rounds still in the magazine.
Then the slide failed to lock back on empty.
Actually the slide was locked halfway back on empty and the barrel feed ramp was wedged behind the magazine follower and would not budge until I forcibly removed the magazine.
Looks like the T9 will be going back to Kahr yet again.
I wonder how many months they'll keep it this time around.

FLBri
12-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Having just purchased a T9, I am having the identical issues after 200 rnds at the range yesterday. The thing I noticed, is that the Slide Stop Lever is hanging up on the take down notch ... it seems to be due to the machining on the flat part that is supposed to catch the proper slide stop notch. Because it is not machined flat (or to spec?) it also catches on the take out notch. This is why it hangs up "1/2 inch out of battery". You can test this buy racking the slide 1/2 way back on an EMPTY magazine. It only happens on an empty mag because when empty, the pin in the mag, is forcing the slide stop up into the stop groove. When you rack it lightly you can feel the catch point and see where it is engaging the take out notch.

I also verified this by replacing the slide stop with the one from my MK9, which appears to be the identical part. It had no such hang up.

Unfortunately, I don't know why the feed ramp binds up on the mag follower, preventing slide lock on empty. I can cycle by hand a full magazine and get perfect extraction and slide lock on empty ... but if I put one round in the mag and fire it I can not get slide lock and the magazine feels like it is somehow 'bound up' in that it does not release free. If I drop the mag and reinsert it... rack the slide back, I get slide lock. Fire even one bullet again and the whole scenario repeats. This issue is present regardless of which slide stop lever is in the gun. At least it's consistent! .... argh!!!!!!!
Brian

any suggestions would be appreciated.

ripley16
12-12-2011, 08:36 AM
I also verified this by replacing the slide stop with the one from my MK9, which appears to be the identical part. It had no such hang up.

If I'm not mistaken, and I may be because I don't own a MK9, but I believe the K9 and MK9 share the same type of spring mechanism, but the T9 does not. The T9 has polymer type of spring, tri-sided shape, located on the left and slide release. The K9 and MK9 have a straight spring located on the right side. A T9 and MK9 should not share the same part. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

kerby9mm
12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Just a thought because I'm not a gunsmith Could it be that the hole cut out under the chamber on the barrel (its called barrel link on a 1911) is cut in such a way that when the barrel goes down then back to battery that it rotates the slide stop out Far reaching but when I take down my MK's just pushing the slide stop out a little locks the gun up

FLBri
12-12-2011, 11:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken, and I may be because I don't own a MK9, but I believe the K9 and MK9 share the same type of spring mechanism, but the T9 does not. The T9 has polymer type of spring, tri-sided shape, located on the left and slide release. The K9 and MK9 have a straight spring located on the right side. A T9 and MK9 should not share the same part. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No, actually the opposite is true. The T9 and MK9 share the same spring design. The PM9 is similar, but the spring wraps the screw from underneath, rather than over the top. The T and MK spring are identical. The K9 is the smart one, apparently!

ripley16
12-12-2011, 12:18 PM
No, actually the opposite is true.

Thanks for clearing that up.

JodyH
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Mine T9's boxed up and ready to drop off at Fed-Ex in an hour or so.
Here we go... again.

jocko
12-12-2011, 03:43 PM
a shame indeed and such a damn nice gun to..

JodyH
12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
a shame indeed and such a damn nice gun to..
At least my K9 and PM9 run great.

JodyH
01-07-2012, 05:27 PM
January 6th called Kahr to inquire on status.
My T9 is still in purgatory awaiting a gunsmith.

I've owned the T9 for 4 months now.
It's been in my possession for less than two weeks total.

csman22
01-08-2012, 05:31 PM
must be a tough issue - they are probably making new parts - let's hope when you get it back...it will be worth the wait.
cheers

FLBri
01-09-2012, 05:52 AM
JodyH, I have a T9 in for service right now also. It was shipped,to them, 3 days after yours. I was told they are waiting on a new frame and the expectation was this week. I expect that the same parts issue is a the heart of your delay. They will get it right ... They always have for me

devildogxd
01-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry for your problems but I think you didn't get lucky on your other Kahr, I think you were unlucky on this one. Kahr has a great reputation in the industry and unfortunately anything mechanical can have issues. I hope they resolve your issue and you get to enjoy your gun. I have a T9 and a CW 9 and they have been great guns. Good luck!!

JodyH
01-09-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm sorry for your problems but I think you didn't get lucky on your other Kahr, I think you were unlucky on this one.
3 out of my 6 Kahrs have required warranty repairs.
That's a 50/50 shot at getting "lucky".
That's worse than Vegas odds.

I will say that Kahr has very friendly customer service reps who make the return process as painless as possible.

JodyH
01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
T9 has been returned to me.
The slide has been replaced... again.
They also installed a new slide stop spring... again.
I'm not even excited to see it or take it to the range.
If it's anything like the last 4 or 5 returns from Kahr it'll just be a waste of ammo.
It sucks to have been burned so many times you're not even looking forward to going to the range.

jocko
01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
deep breath, count to 10, give it ur best shot. Prep it like a new gun. Maybe tomorrow is going to be ur day..

JohnR
01-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Why wouldn't they just send you a whole new gun?

If you don't want yours, you can send it to me. :D

JodyH
01-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Im headed to the range this afternoon.
I have low expectations, so maybe i'll be surprised in a good way.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

CJB
01-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Make a video

csman22
01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't want to post as it will keep "malfunctioning t-9 update" at the top of the forum....(that bugs me because mine s fine) anyway...

I think his t-9 will work out fine - the guns design is such that the mystery should/will be solved. Perhaps he'll get an early sign of confirmation today.
c

JodyH
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
100 rounds of Winchester "value pack" downrange with no issues.
The gun is much smoother and considerably more accurate than it was when it was returned to me the first time. Why they sent it back out with the sloppy fitting slide and an obvious "hiccup" in the action I don't know, of course the rear sight being loose and way off-center should have been my first clue that a retard worked on it the first time around.
Previously keeping all rounds on a 3x5 card at 10 yards was impossible.
Today I put 16 rounds into a 1.5" dot at 12 yards.
Right now I'm cautiously optimistic.
I still need to shoot another couple hundred rounds downrange, including some 124gr. FMJ and some carry ammo before I declare it a success.

jocko
01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
nice report, keep the faith. Itis a damn nice gun.

csman22
01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
good to hear and good shooting!
shoot more and - keep us posted..
c

devildogxd
01-17-2012, 08:15 PM
I hope it will be fine. It really makes me upset that when they had a chance to make it right that they screwed up. They could have lost a Kahr customer for life. Keep us posted.

ripley16
01-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Glad for you that it's finally right. Sounds like your T9 is working and deliveing what it should... reliable, accurate, soft and easy fun shooting.

MikeyKahr
01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Well there is some great news, keep us updated on the progress JodyH.

Sent using Tapatalk

KMA
01-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy the T9!

FLBri
01-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Well, right on cue (having sent my T9 in to Kahr 3 days after JodyH sent his in) I received mine back 3 days after JodyH got his. Had to pick it up from the local FFL as they ended up replacing the complete slide, and frame. I don't know for sure what internals were replaced ... I honestly think the Slide stop lever and barrel are still the original (I'm certain of the barrel at least).

Got to the range last evening. I wasn't expecting much as I went straight from the golf driving range and my hands and arms were fatigued ... but I wanted to test the gun real bad! First two magazines went 14 shots in the 10 and the bullseye with two flyers "all the way" out in the 9 circle (7 Yards).

I stayed there and shot 250 rounds mixed 9mm ( 200 MK9 and T9) and 40 S&W (50 T40) and having fun with the comparisons. At least a 125 rounds were through the new "bench built" T9. No anomalies, No Failures of any kind, nothing but sweet accurate shooting. And this is still in the break in!!

Needless to say, my hat is off to Kahr service once again. Maybe the gun should never have left the plant in the condition it was in. Maybe this ... maybe that .... but the bottom line is they make it right and have a super fine pistol line. I'm a fan.

My biggest problem now is that since I sent this one in I purchased a T40 and another new T9 as a backup plan in case the T9 not coming back from kahr perfect (now it's literally a complete new gun!) ... I guess I could donate one of the 9's to my wife's nightstand just to keep it close and in the family ...... what to do ... what to do!

JFootin
01-21-2012, 07:38 AM
I'll take one! I'll even pay for shipping! No sense having too many T9s just laying around!

That's great the gun is right now!

Tinman507
01-21-2012, 08:38 AM
There can only be one Alpha critter per collection. You have two, so expect fights between em for dominance. Only one thing to do....Get rid of one..

I'll make it easy on ya...just send it to me. :D