PDA

View Full Version : BabyUpLULA™ for K9?

huck
10-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I've searched and searched and I can't find anything that says the BabyUpLULA works with the K9 7 round mags. I have a regular UpLULA for a different pistol and it works fine on the K9 mags, but I was hoping the Baby model would work better on the smaller mags.

Has anyone out there tried it?

wyntrout
10-21-2011, 12:18 PM
The Baby UpLULA is for .380 ACP and smaller calibers. See below... I just checked with mine. Using the regular UpLULA for .380 will harm the inverted plastic Vee and the "beak" won't reach back far enough to press down on the cartridges properly. I know... I reduced the edges of the beak a bit to reach a bit further back and the plastic inverted-Vee part started shredding.

I got the Baby and it works great for the .380. I haven't used it for .22 yet.

I just checked the Baby with a Kahr PM9 magazine... the tube will not fit into the Baby model. The 9mm mags are too wide. The Baby is QUITE a bit smaller than the regular-sized UpLULA.

Wynn:)

huck
10-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks! You saved me from buying something that wouldn't work on my wife's gun.

Of course, I may have just bought a CW9 so the baby wasn't wasted. ;)

JFootin
10-21-2011, 02:01 PM
What you need is the Universal LULA available here:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/butler-creek-universal-lula-black-pistol-loader.html

wyntrout
10-21-2011, 02:21 PM
You CAN use the Universal/regular size to load .380 mags...BUT, the "beak" is too wide to reach back very far and only presses down on the front of the cartridge you're pressing down to load the next one. This isn't good for proper loading. You really need the Baby version for .380 and smaller. The regular should only be used for 9mm and larger cartridges... as advertised or directed by the instructions. I nearly ruined one regular one by filing a bit off the sides of the metal "beaK" so that it would reach farther back in the .380 magazines.

Wynn:)

QuercusMax
10-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I got the Baby and it works great for the .380. I haven't used it for .22 yet.

I bought a Baby at the same time as my UpLula, thinking that I would use it for my .22s, but my advice is not to bother with the Baby for .22s. The springs in the magazines for both of my .22s (Beretta & Browning) are so much weaker than on larger caliber guns that it really isn't needed, and on some magazines such as those for the Browning BuckMark and some others it won't even work because of the pin on the side of the magazine (which allows you to push down on the spring, thus really eliminating any need for a loader).