PDA

View Full Version : K9 arrived today!!!

Fatee
10-26-2011, 06:33 PM
My K9 came in today! :D

Pistol was purchased for my EDC defensive pistol.

Fit and finish is fantastic. The slide feels like a high end 1911. Tight and on ball bearings. I was happy to see it came with one 7 round mag and one 8 rounder with grip extension.

Quick inspection of the chamber has lots of oil and metal shavings so I'm going to break her down and clean her up before I break it in. I think breaking it down the first time is going to be a bixch. It's very a tight gun.

There is some talk about new K9's coming with Elite triggers. I'm not sure what to think except this trigger is really smooth and lighter then my friends year old K9. Compared to a CW 9 in my gun shop it's so much nicer. Not even comparable.

I was really leaning on a CW9 and extremely grateful I stepped up to the K9. It's a very well made pistol. The grip is and feel is perfect.

Now we shall see how she shoots. Range report next week.
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1756/20111026171545570.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7239/20111026171557842.jpg

Bawanna
10-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Very nice and that thing looks like it has the old style soft rubber grips! Are my eyes deceiving me?

It should not be difficult to break down. You might have to tap on the far side of the slide lock take down lever to get it to pop loose when you have it lined up but after that, let it go forward till it stops pull the trigger and it should slide off like water off a ducks back.

I use a small rubber mallet or sometimes just a small piece of wood, anything that won't scratch the finish.

You did good. The machining on most of the metal kahrs I've seen is gorgeous. A work of art.

ripley16
10-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Very nice. I'm sure you're going to like your new K9. I use the base of a magazine to push the slide stop pin, after getting the slide retracked in the right position. Some folks use Kahr's block, some folks make their own wedge to place in the breech to hold the slide in the proper position. With practice you'll be able to hold the slide with your hand and pop the pin with a tool or even your thumb.

Enjoy your new Kahr.

Fatee
10-26-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm struggling with the takedown tonight. grrrr

That xo-dijrao=idf pin will NOT come out.

popgoestheweasel
10-26-2011, 08:33 PM
gorgeous pistol you've got there, fatee. in my opinion, you made a very wise choice. my questions to you are...

1. do you consider yourself to have a small, medium, large size hand?
2. can you get a full 3 finger grip on the k9, comfortably?
3. have you held a pm/cm/mk series and if so, explain the difference in feel as compared to your new k9....specifically the trigger reach.

i've got a mk9 elite which is my first kahr. i wish i would have purchased the pm9 instead due to the drastic weight differential. then i would immediately add the k9, just like yours or maybe even the k9 elite and 'call it a day'.

Fatee
10-26-2011, 08:49 PM
hey pop,

I have large hands and yes I get a full grip on the pistol. That was one of the selling points for me. I think its an unbelievably comfortable grip. The angle is just right for me and the soft rubber grip panels just add to the goodness.

I have not held a PM/CM/MK series. They didn't appeal to me so I haven't held them. I did compare it to the CW series and P9. It's not even close. :)

Bawanna
10-26-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm struggling with the takedown tonight. grrrr

That xo-dijrao=idf pin will NOT come out.

Get it lined up and a little tap. Once it pops just a bit your home free. I can't always push mine out, have to tap it. My PM45 I can push with my finger on a good day, and easy with a pen or stick on the not good days.

popgoestheweasel
10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
i'm envious and wish i had gone with the k9. one of the things i like least about my mk9 is i have to bend my trigger finger so much in order to use the fingertip on the trigger. in so doing, it just feels a bit awkward....along with the problems associated with a large hand on a 2 finger sized pistol. seems to force a 'pulling to the left' grip. ahhhh, the k9 should feel like a real gun should.

Bawanna
10-26-2011, 09:05 PM
i'm envious and wish i had gone with the k9. one of the things i like least about my mk9 is i have to bend my trigger finger so much in order to use the fingertip on the trigger. in so doing, it just feels a bit awkward....along with the problems associated with a large hand on a 2 finger sized pistol. seems to force a 'pulling to the left' grip. ahhhh, the k9 should feel like a real gun should.

I know at least one guy here aching for an MK9 pop. Maybe you can work a deal and both get what you want. The K feels great in the hand but I have small enough hands that the MK feels good too.

wyntrout
10-26-2011, 10:32 PM
That's a beauty! I was thinking about a K40 like that and getting it Mag-na-ported, or buying the ported Kahr barrel, but I got a P40 already ported... lighter for CCW, too.

Try a Sharpie pen or something like that. I was using one held in my mouth and positioning the slide and frame with my two hands. I just tried different parts of the Sharpie until I had the correct lineup, then I use a screwdriver handle to tap the slide lock pin out.

The first time I ordered something from Kahr, I got one of the $5 orange blocks for that... way over priced, but easy to use. Just use whatever's at hand that holds the slide open properly aligned.

Wynn:)

OldLincoln
10-27-2011, 09:44 AM
When re-assembling, rub a little grease on the pin before slipping it in and it will be easier next time.

jocko
10-27-2011, 10:26 AM
oh yes indeed alittle lube on my insertion pin works great for me!!!!!!!

JFootin
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Misc/laugh.gif

jocko
10-27-2011, 11:06 AM
what the hell u laughing for FOOTIN??? U mean u try to insert a dry pin??? Certainly I being the person that I am ,,,, am also talking about the slide lock pin. I have no clue as to where ur probalby perverted mind could be!! I wuld never as u know try to hi-jack a thread either..

Diocoles
11-15-2011, 07:29 AM
My slide safety was so tight when I got it I had to use a wooden dowel about 3" long. That would push the pin out for me.
I'd have to say at about 500 rounds, it worked itself smooth as butter.
Now it's a snap to pop it out by hand. Even one handed and I can do it.

I have a CW9.
Looking at the K9.......Nice feel.
So I lurking around this area to see what issues and resolutions may be found on it while I'm saving up for one.....:)

Oh, and I agree. I know what he's laughing at. :D