PDA

View Full Version : Another Learning - Lee Hand Primer

OldLincoln
10-27-2011, 04:40 PM
I've loaded several hundred rounds by now and have learned to dislike the Lee Hand Held Primer a lot. I just finished 1K 9mm over the last 3 days. My hand is simply sore.

The good news is I discovered why. Even when not priming, the contraption was sticky and squeaked, so I oiled it today. I had acquired a new diabetes hypo needle and filed the point mostly flat and filled it with Gunzilla. Using that I put mico-drops on the plungers and the handle pivot points. It went smooth immediately and then I could prime one handed for the first time.

Now why didn't I know to do that before? Was I the last one to figure this out? Well, no matter, my hand will heal and I hope others read this and try it. Only warning is don't bath the parts in oil as it will ruin primers. After oil I worked it a few times and used a qtip in the holes to make sure it wasn't wet.

Bawanna
10-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Wow you scared me there for a minute Old Lincoln. I love the Lee hand primer and it's the one thing I really miss using the progressive machine. You can actually feel the primers seating.

You know that the lever and the whole contraption all comes apart to swap for small and large primer. I don't see why you need to needle oil anything. You can dip all the pivot points in a bucket of grease.
Leave the seater plug part out and your slippery to go.

Don't scare me no more like that.

Ikeo74
10-27-2011, 06:00 PM
The original instructions tell you to put a dab of greese (not oil) on the friction points. I have 2 of them and leave 1 set up for small primers and 1 for large primers. Mine are round, they say the new square ones will hold 100 primers by dumping directly from the primer box. I hold the lee tool upside down on the box and turn it over to drop them. Works good for me.

BEARDOG
10-27-2011, 06:11 PM
I also love my Lee auto prime. I have had mine for for like 25 yrs! I use it for all my priming... rifle, pistol, large and small.
I usually sit on the couch with a bucket of brass a few hundred primers and another bucket to toss the primed ones in. Never had an issue with it.

Just put a dab of grease on the pivots if yours is tight...It actually tells you in the instructions to use grease or vaseline on it before use and as required or you void the warranty.
http://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/instructions/Auto_Prime.pdf

OldLincoln
10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Well, if that's not something. My instructions are for the square holder and it doesn't mention anything about lube. Guess they figure you gotta be at least that smart to work the durn thing. They didn't figure on ole Jethro or me.

After I oiled it and finished I decided grease would be better and will clean it up and grease it before putting it away. The two pins (large and small) that go up and down were dragging a lot and I was concerned about that thin Gunzilla getting in the primers. That's another good reason for using grease - it's less likely to travel.

Bawanna
10-27-2011, 08:03 PM
I've had mine a long long time. It's the round one. Never seen a square one. Mines been run enough I'm sure it don't even need grease.

OldLincoln
10-27-2011, 08:19 PM
And thinking about it, I'm going to clean and lube my dies before digging into those 1K rounds. They're carbide but still need cleaning now and then.

MW surveyor
10-28-2011, 10:26 AM
FWIW my hand gets tired using it also, even when lubed up. (The hand primer not the hand :) )

muggsy
11-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I've had mine a long long time. It's the round one. Never seen a square one. Mines been run enough I'm sure it don't even need grease.

FYI

Hand Priming Tool

The original Auto Prime with the round primer trays was Discontinued in October 2010, and most of the parts are no longer available. The only option that we have available at this time would be to send us the original Auto Prime, and we can offer you the new Auto Prime XR at half price. This is the priming tool that replaced the original Auto Prime. The cost of this would be $12.49+$5.00 shipping. Please send the Auto Prime to us with a note stating why you are sending it to us and what you would like us to do for you along with your complete billing and shipping address, payment and a daytime phone number.

Lee Precision

4275 Highway U

Hartford, WI 53027

phone: (262) 673-3075