PDA

View Full Version : Dented brass upon ejection

Mdubtech
01-13-2010, 10:04 PM
After my last trip to the range yesterday I noted that nearly 98% of all my casings from my k40 covert are moderately to very dented. None of them caused a FTE or got caught in the ejection port, however...I did have 2 FTF, one where the slide was locked all the way open after the first shot, one more that stopped 1/4 inch from full battery. I was testing two new mags so could have been them. I am less concerned with that as with the deformed brass.
I know that some minor marks on the case mouths is prob normal if it isnt causing any malfunctions, but these seem abnormal after getting a few opinions. Check out my pics.
From what I have researched it seems that this is due to the case hitting the bottom of the ejection port on the slide.
My question is what causes this, too low ejection angle? Too much extractor tension? Weak recoil spring? What have you seen? Is this excessive?
I have stripped the upper and verified no debris in the extractor channel and that it is installed correctly. I suspect too much extractor tension but I am going to call Kahr and get a gunsmiths opinion too.. Just looking for info from fellow Kahr owners.
Shot 100 rnds federal and 50 rnd aguila fmj 180gn
P.S.
My PM9 runs perfectly and seems to have much less resistance when manually moving the extractor.

jocko
01-14-2010, 01:41 AM
I think in your kahr manual it addresses that dented brass thing. It is going to happen in this small gun

ltxi
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
yep, normal for a Kahr

Mdubtech
01-15-2010, 05:37 PM
I see that.
If it ain't broke right?
Just ordered an increased power recoil spring to help see if it addresses my FTF's.
Still love this thing.

ltxi
01-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Might help, but might make it worse. If you're only into this gun for 150 rounds it's quite likely that it's just not fully broken in. fwiw, severely dented case mouths are symptomatic of an ejector length issue but usually accompanied by a lot of straight back ejection and fte's.

Mdubtech
01-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Well this gun was made in 98 so I bet it has a bit more than that. Picked it up for $430 bout 6 months ago from a LEO on Gunbroker. He put 500 plus through it. That spring should be nice and worn in by now right?