PDA

View Full Version : Anyone loading Barnes M/LE 9mm 115 gr all copper hollowpoints?

Ikeo74
11-10-2011, 09:09 PM
I just but some Barnes M/LE 9mm 115 gr bullets and will be loading some self defense rounds using W-231. There bullets are longer than lead or JHP and I am using an OAL of 1.125". If anyone is loading this bullet I would like to know your load data to make sure my OAL will not be too short. These bullets really rate excellent for Law Enforcement specs with perfect expansion. I plan on using these as my carry loads. Cabelas had a sale at nearly 1/2 off the regular price. :)

http://kahrtalk.com/images/tigra/misc/progress.gif

vn6869
11-11-2011, 06:15 AM
I, like many others I am sure will recommend against handloaded self defense ammo. Less it is a SHTF stockpile where you don't expect there to be courts and juries you will have to face.

I would check with the powder and or bullet manufacturer. (I use W-231 in my range/practice ammo, not the cleanest/best, but got a good price for a bulk purchase.)

If you seat the bullet too deep you substanially increase pressures, course you know that.

Good Luck

Ikeo74
11-22-2011, 12:57 PM
I loaded 5 rounds with W-231 and ran into pressure signs with flattened primers. So I went to Barnes web site and picked up a good load using Longshot 5.2 gr, 115 gr LE with OAL of 1.125. Those worked very good. It's a max load and I will use it for my carry gun defense loads.